• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone seen Dr Neil Nathan in California?

He gets rave reviews all over the net and I know he is an MTHFR, Lyme and mold expert. Actually, he is supposed to be great in all autoimmune like stuff. However, the medical practice he practices at got mediocre reviews. They said they are extremely expensive, charge you full appointment cost when you have a question about something you are going through while treating with them, staff got bad reviews and takes weeks to get return calls. I would love to treat with Dr. Nathan, but we are not rich people. He has an amazing reputation. Anyone know about him?

Never mind. I just gotta reply from them stating the initial consult with him is $750 for 90 min.! I'm sorry, I don't care how good you are, these kinds of rates are shameful! People should not have to be rich in order to get quality treatment. I am so beyond frustrated right now!

Red04

Just wait on obama care to come in to play. Then we will all get quality treatment for FREE! After 2 years of going to some of the very best doctors in Houston, it became evident to me that this would need to be tackled outside of traditional care.

I think your best bet is to find a general practitioner or chiropractor that will run any tests you want and let you "educate them" or tackle MTHFR completely on your own. There just aren't that many doctors that know about it and treat it with supplements. This was my experience 2 years ago. Even the doctors that knew about it, just know enough to be dangerous. They can prematurely rule out MTHFR with outdated testing. Or prescribe glutathione injections (bad idea). However, it is certainly catching on so you may have more luck finding a good doctor.

It's not super easy to figure all this stuff out, but it is possible. It takes hours and hours of reading. But, you don't have many options and the forums are here to help you answer any questions. And the supplements are all relatively affordable.

Watch these videos: http://www.methyl-life.com/a-doctor-explains.html

Watch Rich's videos.

And read the stickies at the top of the page about Freddd and Rich's protocols.

There is a methylation panel you can have run and some genetic testing as well. I assume a good doctor would run those tests and put you on a protocol of supplements similar to Freddd or Rich's.

Thanks everyone. The problem is, as I explained above, I have a very complicated health situation with gobs of other health issues. The one thing I have learned is that all this stuff is interconnected and for people like me with multiple health issues, it's not just a matter of taking a standard MTHFR protocol and be ok. I have to take other things into consideration like my AF (which is horrendous right now), lyme, candida, hormone imbalances and all the other problems I have. Some say that doing MTHFR protocols first can make other issues worse and others say vice versa. I research all the time. They call me "Dr." (my name) as a joke in my family, because I know so much about medical stuff. But one thing is for certain, despite the stuff I do know, I cannot do MTHFR treatment on my own. I think that would be very foolish. If it was my only issue, than that would be a different situation altogether. Thanks.

place

Be Strong!
I have some of the same issues as you plus allergies and chronic sinus issues, see my other posts. It's all connected. I went through the process, and now my food, macs and other sensitives went away. It also got ride of ic. Only thing left is sinus infections. And sleep is still a little funky. Also as a side note.... I have four highly rated embbies on ice. You can do it! Just ask questions here and people will help you through.

snowathlete

Farallon, i feel for you. It's particularly hard if you have other medical stuff to consider as well. That is a lot of money. Is all you get for it the consultation?
Where are you based? A number of ME docs know at least something about MTHFR now so maybe there is another you could see instead?

Red04

Thanks everyone. The problem is, as I explained above, I have a very complicated health situation with gobs of other health issues. The one thing I have learned is that all this stuff is interconnected and for people like me with multiple health issues, it's not just a matter of taking a standard MTHFR protocol and be ok. I have to take other things into consideration like my AF (which is horrendous right now), lyme, candida, hormone imbalances and all the other problems I have. Some say that doing MTHFR protocols first can make other issues worse and others say vice versa. I research all the time. They call me "Dr." (my name) as a joke in my family, because I know so much about medical stuff. But one thing is for certain, despite the stuff I do know, I cannot do MTHFR treatment on my own. I think that would be very foolish. If it was my only issue, than that would be a different situation altogether. Thanks.

Everyone here has complicated health issues. Crazy lists of symptoms. You know your body better than any doctor. You need to forget some of what you know and relearn methylation/mthfr. You and all the doctors would be amazed at what gets cured with a methylation protocol.

In addition $750 to get 17 years of illness cured seems pretty reasonable if you are that worried about going at it alone. When I had nowhere to turn before finding freddd, I was looking at sending my wife all over the country for $10,000+ and we were fresh out of college. I was looking at selling one of our cars, etc.... There is no amount of money that is worth having CFS over. I don't know your financial situation, but I would look at eliminating basic services like cable, Cell phone. Etc... If I thought a couple thousand to dr Neil would cure me.

caledonia

After trying all kinds of doctors (and getting screwed up in the process), I'm now doing what Red is doing - consulting with "Dr. Caledonia" (me). Nobody knows my body like me.

I have identified a local Yasko practitioner I can consult with in case I get stuck, but I don't think I'm going to need her.

Basically everything that Red said. You can do this.

caledonia

Dr. Nathan wrote a book. I thought it was a pretty good book, until I got to the chapter on why he doesn't take Medicare. Apparently there are a certain number of patients who go from doctor to doctor (all the high priced famous ones) trying this and that, and they never get better. Then he blames the patient for not getting better. Not like the doctor doesn't understand the disease.

I was pretty offended and put off by this. I'm on Medicare and wouldn't have the money to see him or any other famous expensive doctor. I really have no idea what he's talking about, other than it's the old blame the patient for not wanting to get well.

So personally, even if I lived 10 minutes from him and could afford his rates, I doubt if I would go to see him. I suspect, Dr. Caledonia knows more about methylation than he does. All he did was do a trial of Rich's Simplified Methylation Protocol, and prior to that he was treating ME/CFS patients with Teitelbaum's Protocol.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Never mind. I just gotta reply from them stating the initial consult with him is $750 for 90 min.! I'm sorry, I don't care how good you are, these kinds of rates are shameful! People should not have to be rich in order to get quality treatment. I am so beyond frustrated right now!

I agree. It is shameful. That is a ridiculously huge price, and no one is worth that amount of money per 90 minutes.

I think your best bet is to find a general practitioner or chiropractor that will run any tests you want and let you "educate them" or tackle MTHFR completely on your own. There just aren't that many doctors that know about it and treat it with supplements. This was my experience 2 years ago. Even the doctors that knew about it, just know enough to be dangerous. They can prematurely rule out MTHFR with outdated testing. Or prescribe glutathione injections (bad idea).

I agree with Red as well. Most will doctors need 5-10 more years working with these issues before they will be qualified enough to give smart advice. In the mean time, we are on our own.

Red04

I agree. It is shameful. That is a ridiculously huge price, and no one is worth that amount of money per 90 minutes..

I cannot express how much I disagree with this. What is shameful is the rest of the doctors not helping people and billing insurance companies. Would you rather your insurance pay a doctor to $300 to prescribe prozac and lyrica for the rest of your life or $750 and get cured. He has support staff, an office, etc.... You don't know what goes into that 90 minutes. How much has he spent to treat you? I spent tens of thousands on doctors not getting an answer and the insurance companies probably matched another untold thousands of dollars. That is shameful.

Medical care is expensive and Dr. Neil Nathan should be commended for his desire to look beyond prescribing drugs and actually looking to treat the cause of a chronic condition. We finally are getting doctors who are working in methylation/MTHFR. Let them make there money. Promote the cause. Thank them. Let the market set itself. You see where the controlled medical market gets us. It is short sighted to condemn him for charging $750. In the late 70's VCRs were $1000. Now look where we are.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Even if he were to cure you, it would take a lot more than one appointment. The return appointments may cost less than the initial appointment. The reviews say that he charges for a full appointment to answer a question. At that rate it could really add up. There is not point in starting if you don’t think you will have the money to finish.

Red04

I understand his prices aren't ideal and some people won't be able to afford him. Or choose not to use him. But if the guy wants to charge a price to provide a service than so be it. If we were to force him to charge a certain amount, he could go back to being like every other doctor and spend 4 minutes with you and up your Prozac and Xanax and lyrica.

All I'm saying is we need to be careful who we are criticizing here. Who is the good guy? Who is actually helping people? Who is just working the insurance system and not healing people?

Its not like the guy is charging $50,000. I bet these same people who think he's expensive have spent more on there iphone and iPhone bill over the last few years than he would charge for 5-10 appointments. iPhone 200. Plus 100/month. For three years is about $3800. Shameful. How much is a semester of college? $5000? An average crew car is 30,0000. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would have paid double that if he was in Houston when my wife was still ill. I probably would have flown to CA and paid 750 if he was around then.

I have a friend who saw Dr. Nathan for a year and spent several thousand dollars on office visits, testing, supplements sold by their practice and a $5000 Multiple Wave Oscillator he recommended. She failed to improve. At all. I agree that $750 is not much to pay to get well, but there is a very real possibility of spending a huge amount of money and not feeling any better at all.

Early on in my friend's treatment, I considered going to Dr. Nathan. After speaking with their office, it was apparent that this practice specialized in treating affluent patients with very deep pockets. I myself, would prefer to "self treat" until I could find a doc who truly cares for every patient. Even the uninsured, unemployed people who are desperate to get well.