• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Contact your MP: Govt just made ESA even harder to get

Simon

From the MEA website

This is depressing: looks like the Government are trying to make the test even harder by the back door, and going in the face of advice from the Fluctuating Conditions Group set up by the Govt's own indepenedent adviser.

The early day motion at least gives us some small chance to block this change.

Commons’ motion to annul the Employment and Support Allowance regulations | 21 January 2013

by Tony Britton on January 24, 2013
Caroline Lucas (Green Party MP for Brighton Pavilion) has tabled an Early Day Motion (EDM) 947, to ask that the Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) amendments be annulled.

So far, the EDM has the support of eight other Opposition MPs.

The amendments made to the ESA mean that claimants can only score on either the physical descriptor for a physical illness or the mental descriptor for a mental illness. The Government has produced a document explaining the amendments to the regulations.

Please contact your local MP if you would like them to sign the EDM.

MEA medical adviser, Dr Charles Shepherd, commented: “The new regulations are going to make it almost impossible for people with ME/CFS (physical disease) to score points in the mental health descriptors in relation to cognitive dysfunction. The only way they will now be able to do this is through having a separate mental health diagnosis (ie depression) as well

This is the complete opposite to what the Fluctuating Conditions Group set up by the Government’s independent adviser on the Work Capability Assessment (Professor Malcolm Harrington), of which the Countess of Mar’s Forward ME Group is part, have recommended and is now being tested by the an Evidence-Based Review set up by the Department for Work and Pensions.”

SilverbladeTE

what did folk expect?
cameron & co are f'ing closet NAZIS
elite, snobs, insanely greedy monsters who think the poor should be "Scrooged"
``I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. ``Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.''
``Many can't go there; and many would rather die.''
``If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, ``they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population

alex3619

If a Hitler-like figure were alive today and a fascist nationalist party on the rise, how many would dismiss it due to Godwins "law"? Its not a law, its an heuristic at best, and should be considered fallacious if used in rational argument. Fascism and ultra-nationalism keeps rising up throughout modern history. Sometimes accusations along these lines will be correct, though it is often observed that such accusations are used too widely and easily. There is no substitute for investigation and establishing the facts.

SilverbladeTE

As I *keep* reminding folk
the "Nazis" as we know it, were not the reality we think it is
they were PUT in power by the elite, the corporates, for their own ends
to defeat "democracy" which wanted them to pay taxes, pay decent wages and hold them to account
they wanted to rob other nations of resources, but because France and UK had got ot Africa (and had plenty of Atlantic ports) first that was blocked so wanted to get the wealth of Eastern Europe/russia (Their goal was the "depopulation" of all those people, so all the "slavic" people would havebeen extemrinated)
etc etc

scumbags today can read history, see methods that work, those that don't, how to avoid some of the mistakes, how ot achieve some of the same goals...

Does that mean we can claim twice the amount? Hehe. One claim for physical and one for mental :) our government gets more disgusting with every day that passes

SilverbladeTE

This is a picture of Glasgow, Scotland's main city, 1922
this is not a military parade, this was ENGLISH tanks and soldiers used to threaten the crowds of demonstrators and strikers, threaten then with machine guns and artillery, whil the nobs lived it up folk starved got evicted were told to work for les and less pay
oh my isn't that familiar?
"United Kingdom" my f'ing ARSE. they always kept Scottish Regiments stationed aborad and only allowed English units to be deployed here in full, except for "special occassions".
in otherwords, our London oppressors didn't trust Scots to murder fellow Scots in cold blood if so demanded. And everyone from Liverpool up and from the East side of Devon onwards to Ireland, was treated as a slave or human sandbag.
*spits*

cheek of it is so many of these current vermin are from Scottish backgrounds, "nobs" the lot of them, born with the silver spoon in their gobs and straight to Eton, and no soul
Cameron, Ian Duncan Smith etc not surprising, Scottish nobility were the most vile bunch of vermin to crawl from the Sunlight, French had entirely the right idea!

english tanks at the tron4.jpg

alex3619

in otherwords, our London oppressors didn't trust Scots to murder fellow Scots in cold blood if so demanded. And everyone from Liverpool up and from the East side of Devon onwards to Ireland, was treated as a slave or human sandbag.

This is standard military doctrine. I vaguely recall the Romans doing something similar though I could be wrong about that. The Chinese government definitely does. They send in troops from out of a region when they need to quell unrest. Local troops might have sympathy for the citizens, and that might lead to crazy notions of rebellion.

What worries me is that the cheapest way to keep a population quiet and meet their needs is a welfare state that is run fairly (though strong economic growth is important too - and increasingly unobtainable). Somehow they think that increasing the burden on medical systems, the police, the judiciary etc is a good idea. The London riots a few years ago are a shape of things to come I think. Its only going to get worse unless something changes. What will that cost? What kind of a society will it produce? Big society? Or a society with enforced peace in which nobody is happy and the rich need armed enclaves to keep them safe? That is just potential trouble waiting to happen.

SilverbladeTE

Standard imperial (politicial) doctrine ;) big difference. Folk fight hardest for what they care for: their mates; regiment; and their "people/land", in that order, not the government
shows the sham that was the so-called "United Kingdom" was united "for the nobs" lol.
the people moslty got on, the Elite didn't give a damn, same in any system, Elite get too seperated,andwhile some are decent, power corrupts...
another way has ot be found between the corruption of what's really feudalism in modern dress, and the nuttiness of Lenin, etc *shrug*
Democracy has patently failed because the elite got dug in and blovked the reformers/responsible folk (and again, not about "sides" per se, they're all corrupt, just ot varying extents/ways. perils of re-election has big hand in it, hence, re-elect no one, 1 term only is needed)

we're in right deep poo, folk are just starting to see what some of us knew was coming for a LONG time :/

The Americans had right idea, see the Posse Comitatus Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

ayewe've still got lunatic 18th/19th century crap ideas/outlooks/nepotism runnning things, sigh
21st century, the "same old same old" will run us right into the buffers at 120 MPH!