• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DHEA-s/Estradiol

Cindi

Hi all,
Would you think DHEA-s value of 93 ug/dL at a ref range of 19-205 is okay or low? Do I have anything to worry about?

Also my estradiol is less than 10 pg/mL at a reference range of 10-28.Does that mean important deficiency or is it common for menopausal woman?Do I have to supplement estrogen?

Thanks

Ema

93 is a little low in my opinion. I shoot for 125-140 myself. 5 mcg of a micronized DHEA might be all you need though.

You should use the luteal range always for estradiol and your level is awful. Are you having low E symptoms? I would definitely consider supplementing.

Did you test progesterone or testosterone too?

Cindi

Hi Ema,
Thanks for your answer.
"93 is a little low in my opinion. I shoot for 125-140 myself. 5 mcg of a micronized DHEA might be all you need though."

Do you only use DHEA or do you use Pregnenolone,too? Do you take cortisone supplementation?

"You should use the luteal range always for estradiol and your level is awful. Are you having low E symptoms? I would definitely consider supplementing."

Luteal phase low limit of my lab is even higher. I gave you limits for menopausal.I really can not differentiate low E symptoms as i have too many problems.I am quite ill.What would you recommend for E supplementation.?

"Did you test progesterone or testosterone too?"

I had progesterone tested and it was 0.21 ng/mL at a range of 0.1-0.8.I do use progesterone cream from time to time.That must be why it is in limits.Could not have testosterone tested but that must be also low.

Thanks so much.

Ema

Hi Ema,
Thanks for your answer.
"93 is a little low in my opinion. I shoot for 125-140 myself. 5 mcg of a micronized DHEA might be all you need though."
Do you only use DHEA or do you use Pregnenolone,too? Do you take cortisone supplementation?
"You should use the luteal range always for estradiol and your level is awful. Are you having low E symptoms? I would definitely consider supplementing."
Luteal phase low limit of my lab is even higher. I gave you limits for menopausal.I really can not differentiate low E symptoms as i have too many problems.I am quite ill.What would you recommend for E supplementation.?
"Did you test progesterone or testosterone too?"
I had progesterone tested and it was 0.21 ng/mL at a range of 0.1-0.8.I do use progesterone cream from time to time.That must be why it is in limits.Could not have testosterone tested but that must be also low.
Thanks so much.
I think hormones are usually best addressed in this order:
Cortisol
Thyroid
Sex Hormones

That said, there is some flexibility especially when menopausal and so clearly deficient in estrogen. Everyone would feel terrible using the menopausal range which is why I say to ignore it and always go by luteal ranges no matter if you are in menopause of not.

This also applies to progesterone. I think women should shoot for mid-luteal ranges or approx 15 (range 1.7-27). Menopausal women may prefer slightly lower levels but your level is really awful there as well in my non-medical opinion.

Do you have a doctor that will help you with prescriptions or do you plan to order from overseas? Progesterone cream/sublingual drops are easy to get OTC. There are several options for estrogen depending on whether you have a prescription and where in the world you are located. Let me know and I can tell you what I might do in your position.

I would encourage you to test testosterone (free and total) as well as that is likely very low as well.

Have you had an saliva cortisol test for your adrenals? Recent thyroid labs including the free levels (FT3 and FT4)? A recent CMP to look at your electrolytes, kidney and liver status? B12? Vitamin D?

I take Allergy Research Products micronized DHEA but if I were you, I would not start this before doing an adrenal saliva test. I do not use pregnenolone but I do take hydrocortisone for adrenal insufficiency.

You really might want to take a systematic look at all the hormones of your endocrine system before embarking on any supplementation since they all work together. It sounds like if you are feeling really ill that there is probably more going on than dreadful sex hormone levels (though that could certainly be a contributing factor).

Ema

Cindi

Ema

You were correct saying that I need other hormones to be checked,too.Thanks for reminding.Can not think well so I missed that important point. I am too tried to send samples overbroad and I also don't have an endo that I can trust. So, not sure what to do. Hope I can find a solution soon., Actually I was on adrenal cortex extracts and pregnenolone for the last 12 years and I was able to stop them last year in may. It seems like things are coming back.
One question,if I wish natural supplementation of estrogen what would you recommend?Prescription meds don't go well with me..
My vit d is low but my 1.25 vit d3 was high last years so I can not supplement d3 much. That is a subject that needs further investigation. B12 is high at blood but I am sure I have b12 deficiency.More complicated tests needed.
Thanks for mentioning about optimum ranges of estrogen and all other info you have given. Best wishes.

Cindi

Ema
I started thinking that looking at my e2,prog.,dhea-s results my cortisol is also probably low. What do you think?

Ema

Ema
I started thinking that looking at my e2,prog.,dhea-s results my cortisol is also probably low. What do you think?
I think you should get it tested! Are saliva tests available where you live?

I would use a bioidentical transdermal estrogen cream or an estradiol patch like the Vivelle dot. They are both prescription items here though the patch can be ordered from a number of overseas pharmacies. I have not heard of many people having much luck with raising estrogen with herbs though there are certainly formulations available.

Ema

Cindi

Unfortuantely i have to send samples abroad and that is quite exhausting job for me. I am thinking of having 24 hour urinary free cortisol test. Won't you think it will give and idea? Thanks so much for estrogen supp. info. Best wishes.

Ema

A urinary free cortisol test is pretty good at catching high cortisol but is not really used for diagnosing low cortisol. A saliva test is your best bet and if that is very low then I would pursue an ACTH stimulation test.

Sorry I know that is not what you were hoping to hear. Hope you can get someone to help you sort this out!

Ema