• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do I decrease cortisol?

topaz

Hi

Ive recently been diagnosed with high night time cortisol and need to get it down.

My doctor suggested anti depressants but as I was averse to that we finally agreed on valium. My pharmcist was concerned that this could be a bad marriage with CFS symptons however I decided to give it a whirl and waited until after Christamas when I took a 1/4 of a 5mg tablet before bed - I am still reeling 3 days later and wont be going down that path again any time soon. Xanax is supposed to be effective also and is a 'newer' drug than valium but I have decided to try a more natural route.

From my googling effort which I could only finally manage yesterday, to get cortisol down, the following appear to be recommended by general consensus (as determined by me from my googling this subject):

Rhodiola, Phosphatidylserine, Ashwagandha, Holy Basil/Tulsi and REishi Mushroom. Even Dr Oz recommends several of these for lowering cortisol (lol!).

Another thread here suggested Relora (a patent blend of Phellodendron amurense and Magnolia officinalis - Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs). Magnolia officinalis is known as magnolia bark and was mentioned in many of the articles I researched yesterday. I dont know much about Phellodendron amurense but googling it only brings it up in relation to its presence in Relora and on its own has more antibacterial properties??) I would say the key ingredient for cortisol reduction in Relora is the magnolia bark and that can be ordered on its own. Relora is made by a number of brands and can be purchased on iherb.

Rich vank had phosphatidylserine in his simplified protocol until he replaced it with lecithin because "it can decrease cortisol in patients whose cortisol is already too low", so this could be a natural solution for me.

Q: I am desperate and would purchase all but am keen to canvas others experience and recommendations on any or all of the above in reducing cortisol (as I ran out of bench space for all my vitamins and supplements a while ago :) ) Other suggestions also welcome!

[There is a product that I found after I posted this thread which combines all the above, except phosphatidylserine - Now Super Cortisol Support http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super-Cortisol-Support-90-Vcaps/5022?at=0 which may be the ticket in addition to phosphatidylserine ???] - however, I still seek advice.

Do Rich Vank or Freddd have any suggestions??

Big thanks again

ps Ofcourse meditation and yoga and other stress relievers are de rigour in reducing cortisol but I need more immediate help right now!

greenshots

sleep help

It seems maybe you'd be one of the adults that could handle PS phosphatidelserine (?sp). PS lowers the cortisol levels so we tend to use this supplement with kids on the spectrum and it really helps them sleep! I know that some adults suffer from low levels so can't take PS since it makes it go even lower but if your high to begin with, you might be one of those who do well, you might want to ask Dr. Vank. This way you don't need to use rx drugs that zone you out. I've used GABA 1,000 mg and Melatonin spray this past year and it does wonders for me but I couldn't tolerate the PS due to very low levels of cortisol.

Good luck with your sleep!
Angela

maddietod

I have low am cortisol, which rises all day until it's too high at night. Would these supplements, taken in the evening, only lower cortisol for, say, 12 hours? I can't afford to have lower cortisol in the morning.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Phosphatidelserine complex can have other effects. I tried taking 2 instead of one once and got an absolutely run-away heart rate. I looked up the reasons behind it at the time but of course have forgotten.

I think it had to do with catecholamines. Someone more knowledgeable maybe can explain this.

Sushi

ukxmrv

Patients with CFS and high night time cortisol have been taking the supplement Seriphos was Serine Phosphate for years and reporting good effects. My cortisol goes higher at night but not into the normal high range so I get more alert at night in a pleasent way rather than "tired and wired". I did try phosphatidylserine to try and get to sleep earlier but it left me totally zonked the next day.

Brain is fuzzy but I believe DHEA is the natural thing produced by the body to balance cortisol. There's some concern about supplementing it directly but some people supplement pregnenolone and other precursors. Pregnenolone safety is also debated.

Lotus97

Phosphatidelserine complex can have other effects. I tried taking 2 instead of one once and got an absolutely run-away heart rate. I looked up the reasons behind it at the time but of course have forgotten.

I think it had to do with catecholamines. Someone more knowledgeable maybe can explain this.

Sushi
I think Phosphatidyl Serine was causing the same problems for me. Somone explained to me that it could be caused by Norepinephrine.
Phosphatidylserine (like TMG) stimulates the BHMT pathway which is great ... IF you need it stimulated. However, BHMT stimulation is notorious for converting dopamine into Norepinephrine (everyone seems to ignore this fact on these forums btw). This is a known effect based on scientists measuring the breakdown metabolites of both DA and NE, Unfortunately know one knows for sure WHY this effect occurs. I myself experienced the higher NE when I simultaneously took PS and TMG together.
Something I've been trying to figure out for myself is whether my stress response is from high cortisol or not, because low cortisol could cause high norepinephrine (which is another reason why phosphatidyl serine could cause overstimulation). Is there a way to know without getting tested? I had my cortisol tested a few years ago and it was both high and low. I've been taking holy basil for the past 2 years under the assumption that my symptoms were from high cortisol. A supplement I'd recommend if someone has high cortisol and trouble sleeping at night is Zyflamend Night Time (aka Zyflamend PM) which has Holy Basil. The herbs in it are both for sleep/relaxation and also inflammation. It has very strong extracts of Holy Basil, Lemon Balm/Melissa, Valerian, Hops, and Chamomile, Tumeric/Curcumin, Chinese Skullcap, and Ginger. I'm in a bit of a bind because I bought about 5 bottles since it was on sale, but now I don't know if I have low cortisol or high cortisol. Even one gelcap (half a dose) has a lot of holy basil since it's such a strong extract. Another product worth considering is Theanine Serine. It has Holy Basil, GABA, Magnesium Chelate, Theanine, and Taurine. There is also a Theanine Serine with Relora. I should point out that the amount of Holy Basil in Theanine Serine isn't that high, but it might be good if you aren't sure whether your cortisol is high or not.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Many phosphatidyleserine complex's have other nutrients in them that can be stimulating like phosphatidyle choline etc. if willing to try PS again maybe try and find one with just PS not a complex??

Lotus97

Many phosphatidyleserine complex's have other nutrients in them that can be stimulating like phosphatidyle choline etc. if willing to try PS again maybe try and find one with just PS not a complex??
Is that because phosphatidyl choline increases acetylcholine? Or is there another reason? I remember reading about DMAE being stimulating which also increases acetylcholine.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Is that because phosphatidyl choline increases acetylcholine? Or is there another reason? I remember reading about DMAE being stimulating which also increases acetylcholine.

I think so, increasing acetylcholine is stimulating. I can send you a link of where i buy my PS from it comes in bulk powders and i cap them myself, so makes it alot cheaper when using higher doses too.

For the first time in ages i didnt take PS at night for sleep, i had a restless night. I will try it again tonight without PS, but i think for me its making a big difference.

Lotus97

I think so, increasing acetylcholine is stimulating. I can send you a link of where i buy my PS from it comes in bulk powders and i cap them myself, so makes it alot cheaper when using higher doses too.

For the first time in ages i didnt take PS at night for sleep, i had a restless night. I will try it again tonight without PS, but i think for me its making a big difference.
I'm not sure if I plan on taking phosphotidylserine anymore until I get my cortisol situation straightened out, but I'd looooooove to know where to get cheap bulk powders. I was taking pure PS, it was someone else in this thread who was taking the PS complex.

I should mention though that Rich Vank has lecithin in his newest methylation protocol which is high in phosphatidyl choline so I wouldn't want to discourage others from trying lecithin/phosphatidyl choline because not everyone has adverse reactions to it. For some people it could be Phosphatidylserine and possibly also TMG and/or SAMe overstimulating the BHMT pathway. Also, Betaine HCL found in many digestive enzymes functions the same way as TMG.

Lotus97

Lemon Balm/Melissa also lower cortisol which is in the Zyflamend PM/Night Time I mentioned or it can be bought separately as an extract, whole herb, or tea. Ashwagandha which was already mentioned is an adaptogen. I'm not sure how many adaptogens lower cortisol other than Holy Basil and Rhodiola, but adaptogens in general are recommended for adrenal function and handling stress.

dannybex

Ashwaganda is awesome. I love it. I have low cortisol during the day and high cortisol at night and it helps balance out both. I don't know how it works but it is considered to be one of the best tolerated adaptogens.

Hi,

I might try ashwaganda again. I read a couple of years ago that it contains solanine -- the compound in nightshade vegetables (like potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplant) that can seriously disturb calcium metabolism and cause severe joint and muscle pain.

Have you noticed any increase in pain issues?

Lotus97

Hi,

I might try ashwaganda again. I read a couple of years ago that it contains solanine -- the compound in nightshade vegetables (like potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplant) that can seriously disturb calcium metabolism and cause severe joint and muscle pain.

I can't really say for sure. According to a blood test I'm actually sensitive to Solanine so I limit my potatoes, peppers, and tomatoes. You could try a standardized extract so you don't have to take as much. I think Sensoril is one of the strongest, but Now Foods' Ashwagandha is a better price even though it's not as strong of an extract.

PeterPositive

Hi,

I have had pretty good results in the past days with Ashwaganda. I am using Seeking Health's capsules (300mg). Started slowly with just one a day and added a second one after one week.

For me it's one of those very rare supplements whose effect I can feel from the very first dose. Pretty impressive and I like the kind of effect it has. It stimulates energy and lowers anxiety. Yay.

As regards solanine, I am very sensitive to it. I stay away from tomatoes and rarely have potatoes, because they upset my intestine pretty badly.

If there's any solanine in ashwaganda it must an extremely low amount because I don't feel any reaction.

The matter is briefly touched upon in this article:
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/link-between-nightshades-chronic-pain-and-inflammation

cheers

dannybex

I have had pretty good results in the past days with Ashwaganda. I am using Seeking Health's capsules (300mg). Started slowly with just one a day and added a second one after one week.

For me it's one of those very rare supplements whose effect I can feel from the very first dose. Pretty impressive and I like the kind of effect it has. It stimulates energy and lowers anxiety. Yay.

As regards solanine, I am very sensitive to it. I stay away from tomatoes and rarely have potatoes, because they upset my intestine pretty badly.

If there's any solanine in ashwaganda it must an extremely low amount because I don't feel any reaction.

The matter is briefly touched upon in this article:
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/link-between-nightshades-chronic-pain-and-inflammation

cheers

That was an interesting link, especially the one person saying that it's okay to use because the roots are used, and not the leaves or flowers. I couldn't find anything (briefly) to confirm whether or not the root contains any solanine or related alkaloids…but still interesting.

Almost 2 years later, I have no idea what my cortisol levels are now. But have read elsewhere that the adrenals can be restored relatively quickly -- a claim based on rat studies.

Anyway, I think the main thing for me, besides of course the interference with calcium, is the fact that solanine is an acetylcholinestrase inhibitor that impedes the transmission of nerve impulses from one synapse to the next by retarding the production of acetylcholinesterase (the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine). Choline levels have been found to be high in a couple different studies of ME/CFS patients, and I know in my case that if I eat or take any supplement or food high in choline for more than 3 days, I get REALLY irritable and impatient, and my twitching and cramping gets worse.

B12 deficiency is associated with low acetylcholinesterase levels…so am trying to increase my b12.