• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc taste test considered reliable ?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I don't know. However I will say this...I have to take 100mg for something like 3 weeks in a row before I taste anything bitter. On the other hand, I have allergies that destroy my muscous membranes and it takes zinc to rebuild them (to the tune of 75-150mg/day for colds/allergies and if I take that much I can breath again). I just want to caution you that zinc prevents copper absorption so be careful. I did not have problems with copper when younger, hair analysis at 45 showed no prob, but at age 50 I was borderline deficient and I have not recovered ground despite knowing this (because though I take 5mg copper all by itself so it can be absorbed, I do not do it often enough due to having to take it separately and so it comes to be night and I have not had it yet and then I think it will keep me awake so I skip it). Don't do what I do. Make sure you do not get deficient in copper. Copper is needed for cross-linking of collagen which is what makes it strong. Your blood vessels are collagen and w/o cross-linking they burst easy: an aneurism.

Thanks for the warning triffid. Why do you think you were zinc defficient ? There must be an explanation.

Invisiblejungle : Why won't you rely on it ? It's a widespread test in the ND world. Or so it looks like ...

I don't know. However I will say this...I have to take 100mg for something like 3 weeks in a row before I taste anything bitter. On the other hand, I have allergies that destroy my muscous membranes and it takes zinc to rebuild them (to the tune of 75-150mg/day for colds/allergies and if I take that much I can breath again). I just want to caution you that zinc prevents copper absorption so be careful. I did not have problems with copper when younger, hair analysis at 45 showed no prob, but at age 50 I was borderline deficient and I have not recovered ground despite knowing this (because though I take 5mg copper all by itself so it can be absorbed, I do not do it often enough due to having to take it separately and so it comes to be night and I have not had it yet and then I think it will keep me awake so I skip it). Don't do what I do. Make sure you do not get deficient in copper. Copper is needed for cross-linking of collagen which is what makes it strong. Your blood vessels are collagen and w/o cross-linking they burst easy: an aneurism.

Zinc and Copper indeed are related. An excess copper inthe body can prevent zinc absorption.

So if your cause of zinc deficienty is an excess copper, but lots of zinc deplete copper. How do you solve this ?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
As I understand it, zinc trumps copper every time. You can go to www.traceelements.com and looks at their publications...there is a writeup on copper. As you will see many supplements prevent copper absorption. There have been lawsuits filed for example for zinc in denture creams which prevent copper absorption causing neuropathy (both zinc and copper are cofactors for methylation enzymes). Estrogen and testosterone help one absorb copper so it is rare to have a deficiency when one is young. More likely the deficiency would be in zinc when young because of the high hormone levels. As your hormones wane, however, it is more common for a copper deficiency to emerge. The best I can say is take them separately. But no one is an expert on copper because there is no accepted medical way to measure it. Serum copper is meaningless as far as a measure of copper status because copper is an acute phase reactant.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Thanks for the warning triffid. Why do you think you were zinc defficient ? There must be an explanation.

Invisiblejungle : Why won't you rely on it ? It's a widespread test in the ND world. Or so it looks like ...
Well I used to think it was just because I eat a low protein diet (about 60mg/day). But I have since discovered it is because of my allergies. I mentioned above that allergies destroy mucous membranes and it consumes zinc to rebuild them. Studies showed it takes 75mg zinc to do this for a cold. My allergies are worse than a cold.

invisiblejungle

I do realize that the zinc taste test is popular. And I do think that it could be valid for some people, in some situations. I just wouldn't be willing to depend on it 100% of the time. Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way of testing for mineral status. I'm a supporter of hair testing (either through ARL or TEI, since they don't wash the hair), but it's a very controversial area.

Well I used to think it was just because I eat a low protein diet (about 60mg/day). But I have since discovered it is because of my allergies. I mentioned above that allergies destroy mucous membranes and it consumes zinc to rebuild them. Studies showed it takes 75mg zinc to do this for a cold. My allergies are worse than a cold.

Triffid, which allergy test did you undergo ?

I am considering ALCAT but I've been told it's obscenely expensive, plus it's not scientifically proved.

Thanks again.

Best,
Marcus