• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

malic acid for aluminum and modified citrus pectin.

learner2life

David Pain
Hi,
My aluminum came back sky high on one of my hair charts. I was wondering if anyone has tried malic acid and has it done anything. I still have difficulty concentrating I don't know if high aluminum is a factor. Also, I read that malate dehydrogenase brings oxaloacetate out of the mitochondria in a step in gluconeogenesis. I am wondering how that may effect my energy and the PC enzyme.

From what I understand malic acid is derived from apple pectin. Has anyone taken the malic acid as well as modified citrus pectin at the same time? Would it really matter? Also would silica be something to consider and did they have any side effects with it? I read where aluminum accumulation is in part due to low magnesium and calcium so I am trying to take extra amounts. I run thru alot of scenarios about the possibilities of taking these things. Mostly I just don't want to be blindsided with a setback that had I researched it more I would have been aware of it.
Thanks.
David

Rand56

hi learner

For sometime I have been giving my mom malic acid caps because she has dementia. Can't really say it is dramtically helping, but atleast she has not gotten worse, so it may be helping some with aluminum detox. I'm going to also start her off on atleast a smaller dosage of Diatomaceous Earth for the silica, which is what I started taking about a week ago. I'm mainly taking it for internal plumbing purposes and if I get any kind of metal detox from it, that would be a plus. I know I've read that silica can actually rid your body of excess aluminum but I don't know if that is just hype and it's just more a matter of silica keeping you from absorbing more aluminum. DE is very inexpensive and if you ever try it you have to get "Food Grade". As far as any side effect from the DE, I don't know of any major ones, but since it can help with removing some gunk from your innards, a Herx type detox can be very likely especially if you haven't taken any other steps more recently to address your plumbing.

learner2life

David Pain
Hi Rand,
That is something I have been wondering about as well. Does a good detox plan treat the intestines first and then use something that can draw the heavy metals out of the tissues with that in place. I found this paragraph interesting about silica and calcium..

It is important to know that in osteoporosis, thinning of the bones takes place due to the insufficient manufacturing of the surrounding protein medium in which calcium salts first deposit. An insufficient amount of calcium in the bone matrix causes an enlargement of canals and spaces in the bones, giving the bones a porous, thinned look. The weakened bone develops into a fragile state and can be broken by a minor injury. The bones may even fracture from ordinary pressure or stress. For objectives of re-mineralization in damaged bones, it is advised that a sufficient Silica supplement be taken daily. Bones are composed of mainly phosphorus, magnesium and calcium, but they also include Silica. Silica deposits minerals into the bones, especially calcium. It hastens the healing of fractures and also diminishes scarring at the location of a fracture. A good deal of research evidence indicates that through a transmutation process, Silica is turned into calcium when it is needed. It is for that reason that some scientists mention Silica as a precursor to calcium. Even when calcium is insufficient, the body can turn Silica into calcium that the bones need.
Plus all the great detox supplements with it. This is interesting.
David

Rand56

hi learner

Yes I've also read where silica can put calcium in the bones where it belongs and also being essential for strong teeth. I've also read where it can help with overall mineral absorption, although I don't know if that is just hype or based on fact. They weren't specifically talking about DE, just silica in general. I can understand if it was DE that it can help with absorption, since it's scraping the gunk away, so anything should absorb better.

learner2life

David Pain
Yeah,
I read an interesting article lastnight about vitamin K2 and bone health from doctor Mercola. It brings up some interesting points.

Here is a broader article about k2 and vitamin d.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-delicate-dance-between-vitamins-d-and-k.aspx

Here is the one I read last night.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...even-bigger-than-the-vitamin-d-discovery.aspx

The paragraph about silica and calcium usage interests me. These articles may be somewhat biased because he is promoting a product that he sells, but they are informative. Sure didn't mention silica though.
Have a good day everyone.
David

Lotus97

Is taking something like Citrulline Malate the same thing as Malic Acid? My bottle of Magnesium Malate lists the Malic Acid content in it, but I wasn't sure if that applies to amino acid Malates.

I know the supplement manufacturers say that Modified Citrus Pectin is superior to Apple Pectin, but does anyone know if that's true?

dbkita

Is taking something like Citrulline Malate the same thing as Malic Acid? My bottle of Magnesium Malate lists the Malic Acid content in it, but I wasn't sure if that applies to amino acid Malates.

I know the supplement manufacturers say that Modified Citrus Pectin is superior to Apple Pectin, but does anyone know if that's true?

Yes malate and malic acid are equivalent. Malate is an anion of malic acid that shows up in the Krebs cycle. Just like citrate and citric acid.

dbkita

About 43% of your citrulline malate dose is malic acid (approximately calculated based on relative molar masses of the two).