• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to expect with Methylation??

I have been taking glutathione & ATP injections daily for a few months and they have done wonders for me. I was actually considering just staying on it for life but I figured a Methylation protocol would be more beneficial. I started 7.5mg of Methylcobalamin subQ every other day with glutathione the other days I dont take it.. the plan is to cut out the glutathione by decreasing the dosage and just moving up to 12.5mg of MethylB12 SubQ everyother day...the reason I am doing this is because im so tired and fatigued its hard for me to function without the glut. Im hoping once I establish a proper B12 regamine and add a methylfolate (metanx most likely) that I will have no need for an extra energy source...
Any ways, the few days I took the 7.5mg MethylB12 injection I noticed more severe sweats and chills about 7 hours after the injection during a nap (sweats and chills are common for me but these seem a bit more extreme) also noticed more fatigue....i know it could be detox but wouldnt the glutathione have already gotten the process started? Maybe the combo is to much detox? wondering what im supposed to expect, and how long it takes??
Should you get energy right away or is this a process that takes time??
What negative side effects are there that I should look out for incase its to high of a dose (one of my issues is the symptoms I experience daily are very similar to side effects, its hard for me to tell whats normal or whats a negative reaction) ? How do I tell if its to low of a dose and I need more or more frequently?
Also im thinking about trying a potassium supplement daily as I used to be low in it, is this a wise percaution messure?

Sorry so many questions, I guess when it comes down to it im just curious what to expect and how long this process starts to work??
Part or me really just wants to stay on the glut forever because I know it works atleast
Thoughts??

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Shannon, you might want to read through the methylation threads. Many would find 7 - 12 mg of MB12 very hard to take. There are several approaches to methylation--some use low dosing and some high. There are arguments for both, but reading might give you an idea of what some think are the dangers of high dosing.

Best,
Sushi

Ive been reading and reading but cant seem to find an appropriate thread... I suffer from effects from chronic lyme and decades of toxins and high dose medications, long times under anesthesia...my body has such a high tolerance to everything too...just trying to find out what to expect.
If a protocol is working properly do you notice results right away or does it take time, possibly creating detox and side efgects that will gradually get better?

Sushi

Ive been reading and reading but cant seem to find an appropriate thread... I suffer from effects from chronic lyme and decades of toxins and high dose medications, long times under anesthesia...my body has such a high tolerance to everything too...just trying to find out what to expect.
If a protocol is working properly do you notice results right away or does it take time, possibly creating detox and side efgects that will gradually get better?

I've only done the Simplified Methylation protocol. Slow changes but quick detox if the doses were too high. Side effects got better but changes took many months.

Some feel that there is a danger of over-methylation with high doses, (and that would be dangerous) but there are different opinions on that.

Sushi

I join you in not being able to find an appropriate thread.

I am not sure what all is going on inside of me right now - I have an increase in brain fog some days lately after having a clearer brain so I assume I am detoxing. I am not sure what I am supposed to be feeling when methylation kicks in.

I know I have an increase in strange tastes and smells - some nights my liver hurts more than others - my bowels are - well ------ pretty bad. I get obnoxious gas sometimes too but the cat still sleeps with me.

I have tremors / shaking / palpitations at times so again I think I am detoxing something. I am constantly cold except for 3 am when I throw off all the covers sweating - I hadn't done this since menopause years ago. My lower back aches.

I am taking 3 mg H B12, 800 mg TMG, 167 mcg MF (1/3 of 500 mcg capsule), and 400 mcg Folonic acid. 1mg of the H B12 is Perque - I think it is stronger than the AOR I use for the other 2 mg. I take the B12 and mind get clear fast.

I took small amount Molybdenum and Pantethine and think it is helping the detox. I am also taking electrolytes - calcium, magnesium, potassium. I am trying to remember to take some omegas, vitamin E, vitamin D and probiotics and remember to give the cat her cranberry concentrate. These don't happen every day and, well, right now she needs to get her cranberry cause I forgot it 2 days now.

I am not sure how helpful this is. I know Sushi and I chatted my first night here. I was told by the ND to take 4000 mcg B12 and Sushi thought it was too much. Now over a month and half later I still am not there. What allowed me to go up on the B12 as fast as I did, because I struggled with it at first, was when I started taking the Folonic Acid. It simmered down the tremors.

Personally right now I would be scared of that much B12. I am scared of what I am doing but am surviving it.

enough rambling and got to give the cat her stuff and find bed soon

good luck

Sushi

kelly138
From my perspective, I'd say you may be taking too much B12--4 mg total. I can't manage more than 1mg. Course, as we all know, we are all different, but we used to say that the B12 "drives" the methylation protocol, and your B12 may be out of balance with your folates. You are taking about 40 times more TMG than Rich recommended. This would tend to active the "shorter" methylation cycle and not the longer one that includes methionine synthase--where most of our blocks are.

Sushi

I am not taking 4 mg yet. That is what the ND told me to take. She also wanted me on 5000 mg TMG and at first one more MFol than I am taking. When I added the Folonic Acid and told her, she was fine with that and also fine with the 3mg HB12 last contact I had with her.

I do perk up after taking the HB12 during the day - I am waiting until I get tired to take the next one.

I am not sure how I can determine how to balance the folates and the B12. I am on this journey and have no idea on how to determine what to do next except just by gut feeling and experimentation.