• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore throat, face and neck

Hi I have had some new symptoms this year and was wondering if anyone else experienced these, or can steer me in the right direction.

About a year ago, started developing frontal neck pain. I had a hemithyroidectomy in Oct. 2010 with incidental micro papillary cancer.

Throughout 2012, neck and then throat pain worsened, with dry throat and mouth. Saw many doctors and had CTs, MRI with no sign of tumors,but there was some highlighted areas in salivary glands and roof of mouth.

ENT even took out tonsils this Fall. All to no avail.

Here are my concerns/questions:
1. Could it be some additional papillary cancer in the remaining half of my thyroid? There were no tumors onCT, but does all cancer have tumors?

2. Could it be some other type of cancer (salivary?) and is this common in cfs?

3. maybe it is something else like sjogrens? Blood test was negative for sjogrens.

Thank you for your assistance in helping figure this out. I know it would be impossible to definitively say on an Internet message board, but any insights, or familiarity with these symptoms would be greatly appreciated!

AFCFS

Seems like you have been through a lot. Without knowing the details, it would seem that the doc who did your first eval and/or surgery would be the best place to start, but I get the idea that you may have already done that?

I have heard that if the one side was found cancerous, they would typically go back and remove the other?

- Hopefully you may get some answers, but I think most of these are going to have to come from a doc.