• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

geneticgenie progress for interpretation fo 23andMe results

Aileen

Wow. Good thing I was fed a healthy diet, had few cavities and didn't have as many vaccines as the kids get today.

Female SNPs = 10 homozygous (+/+) and 10 heterozygous (+/-) and 2 unsure and 1 not tested out of total of 28
All SNPs = 2 homozygous (+/+) and 3 heterozygous and 1 not sure out of total 8
(I only had 7 with no mutation and 3 not sure (gives different letters) and 1 not tested for out of 36 total!!!)

I did the Male SNPs out of curiosity even though I'm female and I didn't fare any better.
8 homozygous (+/+) and 11 heterozygous (+/-) and 4 unsure (different letters given) and 1 not tested out of 29.

kday

I suspected that ME/CFS would score high on that test because it is my belief that Autism is the same illness. If anyone else wants to post their results, I've automated it and I can send you the link.

Remember that on some SNPs you have to change the risk allele letter.

roxie60

I suspected that ME/CFS would score high on that test because it is my belief that Autism is the same illness. If anyone else wants to post their results, I've automated it and I can send you the link.

When I get my 23andMe results back I would like to do this kday, hope to have results by January - not too much longer :) , really curious. I briefly panicked this week because so many of my previous tests have showed no explanation for symps I temporarily thought my luck all my SNPs would come back 'normal' (no polymorphism) and again I would have no explanatio for my symps, trying to not think that way but have been conditioned after so many years to expect no answers.

Aileen

How do you know which letter is the risk allele when the letters are different?

kday

How do you know which letter is the risk allele when the letters are different?
I may be wrong, but when letters don't work, you switch the risk allele like this I think.

A=T
C=G

Did alleles and risk alleles all work with eachother when you uploaded?

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. Luckily I have microbiology siblings I can ask to be sure if I am doing it right. I'm far from an expert in genetics, but I think that's how you do it.

natasa778

Hi kday, have you seen this on autism risk genes

The five immunological and inflammation gene sets (iCNV-5) again ranked topmost. ...

... there is a loss of genomic copies in the interferon alphas (IFNA10, IFNA14, IFNA2, IFNA21, IFNA4, IFNA5, IFNA6, IFNA8, IFNA17) and gain of copies in the “C-C” motif chemokine ligands (CCL1, CCL11, CCL13, CCL2, CCL7, CCL8) as summarized in Table 1. Several of these chemokines have been found to be overexpressed in inflammatory diseases ... The loss of interferon alpha copies, usually implicated in the response to viral infection and another component of innate immunity, could also account for a dysregulated, secondary or compensatory response of interferons and chemokines. Several of these messengers “…are produced by neurons and glia in the adult brain, and that they can acutely influence synaptic transmission.

... The above could be suggestive of a link between in utero infections and brain development in the child. Thus, the genetic background by itself would not be enough via this view to cause a deranged developmental process which would rather only occur in the presence of relevant infections. Interferons are important in the control of viral infections via the induced expression of interferon-stimulated genes [40]. The loss of copy number in the interferon genes suggests a possible reduced expression of such genes when stimulated. Thus, a viral infection would last longer under such a genetic background. Viral infections also lead to the expression of various chemokines in the CNS [41]. Further, chemokines are also involved in brain development [27], [41]. There would therefore be a longer generation of chemokines and other cytokines that could interfere with normal brain development. Further, gain in copy number in chemokines may lead to higher levels of these chemokines and would thus exacerbate the derangement in brain development. ....

do these findings match yours and and how do they compare to CFS/ME findings ?

kday

natasa778

I'm not sure what I would be looking for in 23andMe data. I am not going to pretend to be an expert in genetics, and I will admit I don't understand the study. My genetics knowledge goes as far as biology classes in high school and what I learned on my own. I've never had college classes in biology or genetics/genomics. Do you know what they mean by "loss" and "gain" of genomic copies of genes?

greenshots

I know someone who used your site and just loved it. Only thing was, she didn't know what the color coding meant. I guess we all take it for granted so i was sorta speechless. Maybe something like this with each one color coded? On the other hand, i can't figure too many wouldn't understand the colors. Keep up the great work, its awesome!

Color coding:
‐/- Green, no defect
+/+ Red, complete defects
+/- Yellow, partial defect

LaurieL

Thank you KDay. I just took a test over at 23andme the other day for ASD tendencies. Non ASD females usually score mid 40's, Non ASD males most commonly land in the mid 50's. High functioning Autistics/Asperger's score in the 70's, and Autistics from the 70's to 150's. Has anyone been asked to participate in this test?

I scored 77.

LaurieL

anne_likes_red

I was at a webinar today where there were 207 participants. Methylation pathways came up a lot, and so did geneticgenie.org! Yay! :)

kday

I enabled a Detox SNP that is generated from your 23andMe results. I didn't want to do this, as I wanted to finish customized interpretation first, but I kept getting messages asking when it will be available. So for those that are more technically minded, it's just an easy way to see your Detox SNPs in one table. Let me know if you have any suggestions for SNPs I could add.

I also recommend using the tool Promethease for Detox SNPs and TONS of health data way beyond what 23andMe gives you. Very powerful tool, but a bit complicated. I highly recommend paying $2 for their interactive report as it is much quicker to process and much easier to understand in my opinion. It's a bit technical if you are not good at using computers.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease

SeaShel

Thank you for enabling the Detox program, kday. I had no red cells (plenty of yellow though) on that analysis, versus all the red ones on the methylation. I will go check out Promethease on your recommendation.

Thanks again for all your work and assistance!

kday

It took many days and hours, but we have our first automated methylation interpretation when you upload your 23andMe file to the Methylation Analysis link on the website.

http://geneticgenie.org/methylation-analysis/

It's still a work in progress. It may have bugs/errors and data is not complete for a couple mutations. But here it is. I hope people find it useful.

If you don't have 23andMe, you can download the example genome zip file from the page linked above and then upload it to see what the results look like.

We are working on diagrams to go with the results next as well as optimizing results and we'll update the analysis so it's better and contains citations for everything.

Feedback and corrections are more than welcome.