• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduced appetite on methylation protocols?

Rand56

I'm on Freddd's protocol and my appetite has been surpressed since starting it. This is actually a good thing for me since I need to drop about 10-12 lbs. I don't seem to be craving carbs as much which is a good thing. Could have something to do with me staying away from breads and pasta with the enriched "evil" folic acid so my body might be getting used to not craving them as much.

Anyone else notice a surpressed appetite?

Freddd

I'm on Freddd's protocol and my appetite has been surpressed since starting it. This is actually a good thing for me since I need to drop about 10-12 lbs. I don't seem to be craving carbs as much which is a good thing. Could have something to do with me staying away from breads and pasta with the enriched "evil" folic acid so my body might be getting used to not craving them as much.

Anyone else notice a surpressed appetite?

Hi Rand,

During my years and cycles of various parts of this who process, sometimes I was quite hungry and other times almost no hunger. There are times when I've taken off 45 pounds of water, 40 pounds of fat and put on 30 pounds of muscles. Hunger seemed to come and go but why was not exactly clear. Good luck.

Rand56

Hi Rand,

During my years and cycles of various parts of this who process, sometimes I was quite hungry and other times almost no hunger. There are times when I've taken off 45 pounds of water, 40 pounds of fat and put on 30 pounds of muscles. Hunger seemed to come and go but why was not exactly clear. Good luck.

hi Freddd

I can already relate to dropping some water weight even though I have not been on the protocol that long. I believe it stems mainly from the extra potassium intake acting as a diuretic and balancing fluid levels. I don't feel or look as puffy as I was prior to starting. Actually looking back, I believe my body has been needing more potassium all along. My diet previously has never been optimal to ensure getting enough potassium.

maddietod

Hi, Rand,

When I eat very low carb, my appetite disappears. This is not uncommon. So maybe this is contributing.

Madie

chilove

Yes, and its not good for me at all because I desperately need to put on some weight... oh well.. hopefully it will work out in the end with increased healing

Lotus97

I've had low appetite before starting methylation, but it seems to have gotten worse since after starting methylation. I have a hard time counting total calories consumed per day due to brain fog (I suppose I could write everything down...), but for the past couple days I estimate that I've been around 500 calories below my normal intake (1700-1800/day). According to my research someone of my height, gender, age and activity level should be eating 2000 calories/day so I am concerned. I'd be more concerned if I wasn't overweight, but I know low calorie diets aren't long-term solutions to weight loss. Also, I'm wondering if I'm hindering my body's ability to detox if I'm not eating enough. I'm still eating 4-5 times a day, but now I'm sometimes going 3-4 hours without eating. I normally have to eat frequent meals because I experience hypoglycemic symptoms, but they don't seem to get worse now when I go longer than normal without eating although I still do experience them.

with what I am doing I am craving fats - chocolate and chips in particular - I need to drop the calories back down - I can stand to lose a few still but don't need to put back on what I struggled to get off -

I am taking 2000 mcg Hydro B12, 800 mg TMG, 1/3 each of 800 mcg Folinic Acid and 500 mcg MethylFolate

I feel I am getting close to a "healing crisis" - not there yet but the liver is showing more signs since I upped the TMG from 600 mg 2 days ago to 800 mg yesterday.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I've had low appetite before starting methylation, but it seems to have gotten worse since after starting methylation. I have a hard time counting total calories consumed per day due to brain fog (I suppose I could write everything down...), but for the past couple days I estimate that I've been around 500 calories below my normal intake (1700-1800/day). According to my research someone of my height, gender, age and activity level should be eating 2000 calories/day so I am concerned. I'd be more concerned if I wasn't overweight, but I know low calorie diets aren't long-term solutions to weight loss. Also, I'm wondering if I'm hindering my body's ability to detox if I'm not eating enough. I'm still eating 4-5 times a day, but now I'm sometimes going 3-4 hours without eating. I normally have to eat frequent meals because I experience hypoglycemic symptoms, but they don't seem to get worse now when I go longer than normal without eating although I still do experience them.
In my report on my genes from Dr. Roberts (Yasko panel), he wrote that the CBS mutations may cause G6PD problems (blood sugar problems / diabetes). Thus, anything you can do to correct this mutation will help you avoid the G6PD impact. It takes DHEA to do that for me.

Lotus97

In my report on my genes from Dr. Roberts (Yasko panel), he wrote that the CBS mutations may cause G6PD problems (blood sugar problems / diabetes). Thus, anything you can do to correct this mutation will help you avoid the G6PD impact. It takes DHEA to do that for me.

I'm not sure if I have a gene mutation or not, but recently I've been looking at adrenals as a possible cause of my hypoglycemic symptoms. I had cortisol and DHEA tested a few years ago and DHEA was normal, but cortisol was out of range. I'm taking Holy Basil and Phosphatidylserine for cortisol and I just started taking pregnenolone after reading that mercury can lower it's levels. I've also noticed that getting more sleep and limiting seems to reduce the amount of nausea I experience which started occurring around the same time as the hypoglycemic symptoms. Getting a lot of sleep and limiting stress is one of the ways treat adrenal problems, but those are also treatments for CFS/Fibromyalgia too so I don't really know 100% whether I have adrenal problems or not.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I know 100% that I have adrenal problems that come and go. I have 3 genes that cause VERY high blood pressure and I am VERY sensitive to salt. When I have adrenal problems, my blood pressure goes low and I need salt or I will pass out. I was tested by a doctor who suspected I had adrenal problems else should not need the DHEA (which is made by adrenals). I know my allergies cause severe adrenal problems, not sure that is the only thing since I have only revently become attuned to this. I have had low blood sugar issues on/off my whole life. I never thought they were allergy related, but maybe. I am actually allergic to a lot of things I ignore and a few that I cannot ignore.

If you cannot tolerate coffee and you used to be able to (2 cups of coffee raise your cortisol 33%) then you might consider a DHEA deficiency (regardless of what they SAY the reference range is, it depends on what your body needs). There is a DHEA:cortisol ratio that governs how much stress you can take (and stress is cortisol). In other words if you get your cortisol above what DHEA there is to support that level you will have low blood sugar/panic type reactions. (And IMHO low blood sugar and panic symptoms are the same...in fact low blood sugar causes a panic attack).

Others have said if you have genetic defects that is like malnutrition and malnutrition itself raises cortisol, as the body attempts to keep going in spite of the insult. So it may be until we-uns figure out our genetic needs we will not have waning cortisol in our later years and therefore cannot have waning DHEA. (That's my take anyway). Take care.