• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inflammatory Cytokines - Good or Bad?

PhoenixBurger

I have had quite good results with Quercetin in calming a lot of my symptoms. Looking into it, it seems to have potent effects on reducing inflammatory cytokines as well as some anti-viral properties.

Despite what everyone's opinion is on that, the stuff makes me feel better.

So my question is this. Is inhibiting pro-inflammatory cytokines a good thing or a bad thing? Especially if the possibility of viral infection is on the table?

I have tried and tried and tried to find an answer to this question, but it seems to be a very complex thing. One paper compared pro inflammatory and anti inflammatory cytokines to sitting on a see-saw. Where they needed to be Balanced. Or at least more in favor of anti-inflammatory.

if Quercetin inhibits pro inflammatory cytokines and you need them to fight your viral infection, then inhibiting them would be bad. But if they are allowed to get out of control, then you start the spiral towards auto immune disease.

I guess im trying to determine if taking Quercetin (assuming it DOES inhibit pro inflammatory Cytokines) is a GOOD THING or a bad thing? Is it GOOD that i feel less inflammation in my system or do i want that inflammation there because its a sign my immune system is fighting something off?

I can't get my head around this!

alex3619

Good or bad. A definite yes. To both. This isn't a simple yes or no thing. Its about how everything balances out. That in turn in dependent on many complex factors. Simple answers are not likely to be available.

Once we understand the underlying pathophysiology I think we can come up with a more specific answer. We just are not there yet.

Personally I would tend toward suppressing such cytokines but not during any kind of obvious infection. That is only a guess however.

:balanced:

lansbergen

Good or bad. A definite yes. To both. This isn't a simple yes or no thing. Its about how everything balances out. That in turn in dependent on many complex factors. Simple answers are not likely to be available.

I agree

Pro-inflammatory cytokines are necessary for healing but too much of it is harmfull.

adreno

PR activist
Right, it's a balance thing. You need the cytokines in the right amounts. You want enough of them to fight any infections or injuries that come along, but you don't want so much they destroy your own tissue in the process.

From the studies I have seen, ME patients tend to have higher than normal levels of inflammation. In that case taking some anti-inflammatory anti-oxidants is probably a good idea.

Inflammation also increase with age. If you're over 40 I would take some, regardless of whether you're healthy or not.

PhoenixBurger

The million dollar question is, when does it become damaging inflammation instead of just helpful inflammation.

I guess there's no way to know.

Quercetin makes me feel better. I feel calm after I take it. But I dont know if that's good or bad.

Guess it's impossible to know.

lansbergen

The million dollar question is, when does it become damaging inflammation instead of just helpful inflammation.

I guess there's no way to know.

It was not easy but I learned to recognize it.

It cannot be teached. You have to figure it out yourself.