• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

American College of Physicians info/CME course on CFS

Dolphin

http://piermedicine.acponline.org/physicians/diseases/d110/d110-pdf.html

I just came across this information last night. I haven't had a chance to look at it but given the authors, I imagine it is likely very unbalanced.

I doubt most patients in the US would be happy with physicians there being taught/given CBT/GET-based info:

Authors:
Anthony Cleare, MB BS, PhD, MRCPsych, Brent Bauer, MD, editorial consultant, Dedra Buchwald, MD, Matthew Hotopf, BM BCh, PhD, MRCPsych, Simon Wessely, MD, Steven Reid, MBBS, MRCPsych, Trudie Chalder, RMN, MSc, PhD,

Undisclosed

Under patient education, it says:

'Help patients with CFS identify secondary disabilities that may perpetuate the illness'

Specific recommendations:
  • Identify maladaptive attitudes that may perpetuate the illness, and show how modifying these factors can influence the outcome.
Rationale:
  • Illness attributions and health beliefs have an impact on the outcome.
Evidence:

I believe they are referring to believing that exercise causes harm as the maladaptive attitude that is perpetuating the illness.
When did having an 'attitude' become a disability?

It is hugely telling that they have no evidence for this particular intervention.

What is more laughable is that right above this section it says:

'Acknowledge the reality of the illness, it's associated symptoms and effect on functioning...' and 'Establish a positive relationship with the patient to provide needed support, education, and to promote treatment compliance'.

Which one is it?

Be supportive and acknowledge the reality of the illness or be unsupportive by suggesting that the patient has a maladaptive attitude that is perpetuating their illness.

Seven7

Seven
This kind of Post gets my blood boiling! Antidepressants did nothing for me (I was evaluated as not having depression but tried it anyways). The immune modulator therapy is more productive. Targeting to raise my NK levels and T cell levels. When your immune panel is Off, you have to address the real issue.

CBT and GET DO NOT lower my viral reactivations (HH6av, Parvo, Coaxsaqie..). It DOES NOT raise my very low NK cell and T cell functioning. GOD!!! GET REAL!!!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The UK MEA are having a fundraiser to pay for sending out their own clinical guidance booklet to GPs.

Is there/has there been a similar project to get the IACFS Primer out to US doctors, instead of the CDC Toolkit and now this thing?

SilverbladeTE

*sings the song the psychs bellow at their conventions in secret*

Psycho babble Uber Alles!
We know what youuuuu need!
Lots of druuugs!
Lots of drugs and bullshit theraaaaaaapy!
Make us rich you whining raaaaaaable!
We are the gods of Psychiatryyyyyyyy!

Ein rich, ein f*ck, ein farter,
and you've been shafted right up it by all of uuuuus!

psychobabble and bullshit, keeping scumbags rich and in power since Matthew Hopkins (1620-1647)!
is the DMS-V really the Malefius Malleficarum of the 21st century?
Bullshit or not? see for yourself in this weeks episode of...S*O*A*P!#:alien:

250px-Matthewhopkins.png

taniaaust1

Antidepressants did something for me. They shut down my brain. Waaaay beyond brain fog.

I got left so uncoordinated by one anti depressant trial that I was unable to even pour water into a cup from a kettle.. and would miss the cup with the boiling water, nearly every time (so hence putting me at high risk of burns). Needless to say that trial didnt last long. (every single anti depressant Ive tried has had bad efforts on me.. interestingly different ones, have different bad efforts...some destroy my coordination (which isnt already all that great at times), some further destroy my memory while others give me headaches etc

So yeah they do do something hahah.. Pity it isnt good things thou.

taniaaust1

Under patient education, it says:

I believe they are referring to believing that exercise causes harm as the maladaptive attitude that is perpetuating the illness.
When did having an 'attitude' become a disability?

It is hugely telling that they have no evidence for this particular intervention.

What is more laughable is that right above this section it says:

Which one is it?

Be supportive and acknowledge the reality of the illness or be unsupportive by suggesting that the patient has a maladaptive attitude that is perpetuating their illness.

I believe everything is done in "double tongues" nowdays so that when its one day proven that they were way off track with their views.. they can point to the sections where they still said this illness was a serious one or whatever else they said.. to play down the other veiws they had. (they are trying to play on both sides as one day the views they push WILL BE shot down).

taniaaust1

psychobabble and bullshit, keeping scumbags rich and in power since Matthew Hopkins (1620-1647)!
is the DMS-V really the Malefius Malleficarum of the 21st century?
Bullshit or not? see for yourself in this weeks episode of...S*O*A*P!#:alien:

250px-Matthewhopkins.png

LOL.. @ " Is the DMS-V really the Malefius Malleficarum of the 21st century?" Good question

I think Humanity unfortunately has still A LONG WAY to go till it stops playing into crazy ideas esp with things it dont understand.

They used to blame the sick on witches and now cause they know there arent witches flying around on broomsticks cursing people, they now blame the sick on the actual sick themselves (its in your head and your thinking). Maybe In another 100 years the blame will be off of us and the next fad could well be beings from space being blamed or whatever else takes the fancy of the day. Humanity loves to jump to crazy ideas always lead by some powerful figure or another who just obviously loves the power he recieves

Wessley is the equivalent to Matthew Hopkins in his damaging power.

taniaaust1

Didnt Wessely a while back tell the media he was leaving the ME/CFS field? (in one of his poor me Interviews).. He says stuff like that and gets media attention to make general public feel sorry for him (poor guy has had to leave the field due to those bad nasty ME/CFS people) .. and yet we still see his name coming up on thing after thing. I think we all knew he was lying but its a pity that general public and everyone else cant see it and he just goes on to tell lie after lie).

Has anyone got the link for when he said that he was getting away from this field? (or was it just getting away from studies????).

I wish someone in mainstream media would do an article actually on him and all the contradictions he's made. He'd make an interesting story.

justinreilly

Didnt Wessely a while back tell the media he was leaving the ME/CFS field? (in one of his poor me Interviews).. He says stuff like that and gets media attention to make general public feel sorry for him (poor guy has had to leave the field due to those bad nasty ME/CFS people) .. and yet we still see his name coming up on thing after thing. I think we all knew he was lying but its a pity that general public and everyone else cant see it and he just goes on to tell lie after lie).

Has anyone got the link for when he said that he was getting away from this field? (or was it just getting away from studies????).

I wish someone in mainstream media would do an article actually on him and all the contradictions he's made. He'd make an interesting story.

Yes, according to Suzy Chapman and others he's been saying this since around 2001, since which over 30 papers on ME have Bourne his name.

This says it was last updated in 2009, so it has been out for a while. Funny, I'd never heard of this document! Thanks for bringing it to light.