• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mast cells in human adipose tissue: link with morbid obesity, inflammatory status, and diabetes

nanonug

1. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Sep;97(9):E1677-85. doi: 10.1210/jc.2012-1532. Epub
2012 Jun 28.

Mast cells in human adipose tissue: link with morbid obesity, inflammatory
status, and diabetes.

Divoux A, Moutel S, Poitou C, Lacasa D, Veyrie N, Aissat A, Arock M, Guerre-Millo
M, Clément K.

Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 872, Nutriomique,
and Université Pierre et Marie Curie-Paris 6, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers,
Unité Mixte de Recherche (UMR) S872, F-75006 Paris, France.
adeline.divoux@flhosp.org

AIMS AND HYPOTHESIS: Mast cells are immune cells known for their role in several
inflammatory and fibrotic diseases. Recent works in mice suggest that mast cells
could be cellular actors involved in the pathophysiology of obesity, a disease
characterized by white adipose tissue (WAT) and systemic inflammation. The aim of
the study was to better characterize mast cells in WAT of obese with or without
type 2 diabetes and lean subjects as well as to explore the relationship with WAT
inflammation and fibrosis. METHODS: Subcutaneous and omental adipose tissue from
six lean subjects, 10 obese nondiabetic, and 10 diabetic patients was analyzed by
immunohistochemistry and real-time PCR for inflammatory and fibrosis markers.
Cytokines secretion of mast cells isolated from WAT and cultured in different
conditions was estimated by cytokine array kit. RESULTS: We found that mast cells
are activated in human adipose tissue and localized preferentially in fibrosis
depots, a local condition that stimulates their inflammatory state. Mast cells
with tryptase(+) chymase(+) staining tended to be higher in obese omental adipose
tissue. We found positive links between mast cell number and several
characteristics of obese WAT including fibrosis, macrophage accumulation, and
endothelial cell inflammation. Mast cell number and their inflammatory phenotype
are associated with diabetes parameters. CONCLUSION AND INTERPRETATION: Mast
cells are cellular actors of WAT inflammation and possibly fibrotic state found
in obesity and diabetes. Whether mast cells could be involved in the
pathophysiology of diabetes needs additional study as well as the positioning of
these cells in driving pathological alterations of WAT in these chronic metabolic
diseases.

PMID: 22745246

camas

After reading this a few weeks ago, I decided to finally get serious about losing my 20 extra pounds. I assume that by losing some of my belly fat, that some mast cells might go with it. Four pounds down, 16 to go...

camas

What is the average BMI or waist-to-height in CFS? Is it high?

That's a good question. I wonder if this has ever been studied? I've been both under and overweight in my 25 years of being ill. I'm at my heaviest now at 53 (no big surprise) and am having to carefully count calories since I can't exercise this fat off.