• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

quercetin, kidney damage

alex3619

This is not a surprise. Quercetin has been suspected of altering eicosanoid production. A number of eicosanoids regulate proper blood flow in the kidneys. So long term use may alter blood flow and even tissue repair.

I suspect that other substances including resveratrol, which I am taking, may have the same effect if misused.

Changexpert

Darn it, I took quercetin for about a month in the past. No wonder my symptoms got worse during that period.

GracieJ

What is a safe dose to be on and for how long? I started quercetin a week ago with great results, and had been planning to bump my daily dose up to the 1500mg recommended on several sites. As it is, right now I am at 1gm per day, which is considered a high dose.

What do I need to look for to do this safely? The results so far are phenomenal. Breathing, swallowing, digestion, arthritis, and skin issues have all settled down, giving me relief.

However, at the same time, I started getting headaches as of yesterday, and have had kidney pain for two days with no explanation. Is this something to use for a few days at a time, then stop?

I think I will back this off to one 500mg capsule daily until I know more.

CantThink

You should take periodic breaks from taking quercetin.

At high doses (greater than 1 g per day), there are some reports of damage to the kidneys.

Source: Quercetin | University of Maryland Medical Center

The other source quoted by Sherlock said:

Quercetin has been safely used in amounts up to 500 mg twice daily for 12 weeks. It is not known if longer-term use or larger amounts are safe.

Changexpert

What is a safe dose to be on and for how long? I started quercetin a week ago with great results, and had been planning to bump my daily dose up to the 1500mg recommended on several sites. As it is, right now I am at 1gm per day, which is considered a high dose.

What do I need to look for to do this safely? The results so far are phenomenal. Breathing, swallowing, digestion, arthritis, and skin issues have all settled down, giving me relief.

However, at the same time, I started getting headaches as of yesterday, and have had kidney pain for two days with no explanation. Is this something to use for a few days at a time, then stop?

I think I will back this off to one 500mg capsule daily until I know more.
FWIW, I took 800 mg along with 185 mg of Bromelain. Quercetin must be combined with Bromelain for best absorption. Most people use somewhere around 500 mg and 1000 mg. There was a rat study suggesting that consumption of Quercetin at 50 mg/kg body weight would lead to brain tumors. This means for average females around 2.5g/day and average males around 4g/day, assuming 50 kg and 80 kg respectively.

Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691513007473

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
When we hear of how grapefruit interacts with medications (making them in effect stronger by inhibiting breakdown in the liver via CYP3A4 and CYP2C9 enzymes), it seems that quercetin is the component in grapefruit that does so. This relates to @Sushi's comment above.

Also, with kidney pain I'd wonder if there is some pre-existing kidney problem.

GracieJ

Thanks, everybody, I did read both links.

Just sorting out all the pieces, very much appreciate hearing from others about their experiences.

godlovesatrier

I get this kidney issue too. I think it started with regular egcg intake. Didn't know at the time that this could damage my kidneys. Saying that my function tests recovered to pre baseline. But the kidneys get aggrevated very easily now so I assume something isn't right.