• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DSM-V approved by APA, to the disapprobation of everybody

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I haven't been following the DSM-V situation closely at all, but now that the document has been finalized, there's been some press coverage:

http://www.healthnewsreview.org/201...c-approval-of-dsm-v-a-sad-day-for-psychiatry/

Dr. Allen Frances, who has been writing strongly critical columns for Psychiatry Today all through the tortured DSM-V process, is certainly not happy with the outcome.

Does anyone have access to a RELIABLE, CURRENT source of whether the FINAL document includes the once-proposed "Complex Somatic Symptom Disorder"? The information I've been able to find on the internet is months or years old and does not reflect the document as finalized.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
That's about the field trials, not the finalized document, but given the very recent date of the field trial results, I'm guessing they must have had some version of the "disorder" in the actual text. I'm looking for a link to the text, but maybe it is not freely available online.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
It seems like a wonderful mix of calls for over-diagnosis, under-diagnosis, and misdiagnosis. Something to offend almost everyone!

Because I read a certain amount of stuff in the field of death studies (for reasons having nothing to do with ME/CFS) one tidbit that jumped out at me was the "elimination of the bereavement exclusion" to a diagnosis of major depression. That is to say, experiencing grief at the death of someone close to you is now rolled into the "pathology" of depression instead of being considered a normal response.

The attempted territory grab by the psychobabblers is even bigger than we comprehend.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
APA's recent news release and APA President, Dilip Jeste's Message can be read and downloaded here on my site:

American Psychiatric Association Board of Trustees approves final DSM-5 diagnostic criteria
Post #2012 Shortlink: http://wp.me/pKrrB-2xu

Media coverage in the wake of the news release is being collated in this post on my site:

Media coverage: American Pyschiatric Association Board of Trustees approves final DSM-5 diagnostic criteria
Post #213 Shortlink: http://wp.me/pKrrB-2xF

The Flyer for the various DSM-5 publications can be downloaded from this post on my site:

Flyer: DSM-5 Core titles from American Psychiatric Publishing
Post #211 Shortlink: http://wp.me/pKrrB-2×5

The proposals across the entire DSM-5, as they had stood at the release of the third draft, were taken off the DSM-5 Development website on November 15, in preparation for the release of the final manual, in May 2013.

Until May, finalized criteria sets and manual texts are embargoed to protect the integrity of the final version and to protect intellectual property. The manual is a cash cow for the APA and it also sells the criteria sets for research. Online access to an electronic version, when available, will be via subscription.

According to the Flyer, Somatic Symptom Disorder section goes forward as the replacement for the DSM-IV Somatoform Disorders. But any revisions to the SSD criteria as they had stood in May 2012 won't be known until the manual is released in May, at the APA's 166th Annual Meeting.

It has been reported on my site since May 2012 when the third draft was released that for the third draft, the proposal was to merge "Complex Somatic Symptom Disorder" and "Simple Somatic Symptom Disorder" into one category and to drop the "Complex" word.

The proposed category name is now Somatic Symptom Disorder which is also the name of that section of DSM-5.

Other changes between the second and third draft were the inclusion of three optional severity specifiers; the reduction of the requirement for "at least two" of the B type criteria to "at least one" and a Chronicity of typically > 6 months, as opposed to > 6 months for CSSD and only >1 month for SSSD.

I am unable to publish the full SSD criteria, as they had stood at the third draft, which would be in breach of APA Permissions Policy:

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/PermissionsPolicy.aspx

and APA Terms and Conditions of Use:

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/TermsandConditionsofUse.aspx

NHS Choices site:
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/12December/Pages/Aspergers-dropped-from-mental-health-manual-DSM-5.aspx

snowathlete

one tidbit that jumped out at me was the "elimination of the bereavement exclusion" to a diagnosis of major depression. That is to say, experiencing grief at the death of someone close to you is now rolled into the "pathology" of depression instead of being considered a normal response.

That's nuts.

Dx Revision Watch

December 09, 2012

Today, Allen Frances, MD, who chaired the Task Force responsible for DSM-IV, published his concerns for the potential harm to all illness groups if DSM-5 Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD) criteria go ahead as they stand.

In the DSM-5 field trials, one in six patients with serious diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes met the criteria for an additional diagnosis of "Somatic Symptom Disorder". Over 25% of the "functional somatic" field trial study group (irritable bowel and chronic widespread pain) were coded with 'SSD'.

For his last DSM-5 commentary (December 02), Dr Frances received a staggering number of hits and link backs on media sites and blogs.

To demonstrate to the SSD Work Group and DSM-5 Task Force the strength of concern for the implications of the SSD criteria I would like as much exposure and traffic to this new SSD blog post as we can muster.

The DSM-5 manual texts have not yet been finalized for the publishers and it's not too late to put pressure on the Work Group to reconsider their proposals.

The SSD criteria will impact all patient groups and families with children with chronic medical diseases and conditions; also the elderly, in which there are higher rates of cancer, heart disease and age-onset diabetes - all three diseases cited by the SSD Work Group as candidates for a diagnosis of a mental health disorder if the patient also meets the criteria for "SSD'.

Please circulate the link for Dr Frances' opposition to these SSD criteria far and wide on ME, CFS and FM forums, Facebook, Twitter, blogs and websites and all health and patient advocacy platforms - especially US sites.

Please forward the link to your contacts and ask them to forward on to others and to flag up Dr Frances' Psychology Today blog post link wherever they can. We want thousands of hits on this post.

We also need to reach IBS, GWI, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and health advocacy sites for all medical conditions, since all patient groups stand to be hurt by these DSM-5 SSD proposals, also mental health advocacy platforms and medical professionals.

It is expected that a version of Dr Frances' commentary may also be published on Huff Po and several other platforms.

Here is the link for the Psychology Today Blog and with thanks, in advance, for your help with publicising Dr Frances' SSD commentary:

Psychology Today
DSM5 in Distress blog

The DSM's impact on mental health practice and research

Allen Frances, M.D., was chair of the DSM-IV Task Force and is currently professor emeritus at Duke.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm5-in-distress/201212/mislabeling-medical-illness-mental-disorder
Mislabeling Medical Illness As Mental Disorder
The eleventh DSM 5 mistake needs an eleventh hour correction.

Allen J Frances MD | December 9, 2012

Allen Frances said, "...Adding to the woes of the medically ill could be one of the biggest problems caused by DSM 5. It will do this in two ways: 1) by encouraging a quick jump to the erroneous conclusion that someone's physical symptoms are 'all in the head'; and 2) by mislabeling as mental disorders what are really just the normal emotional reactions that people understandably have in response to a medical illness..."

Suzy Chapman said, "...the requirement of 'medically unexplained' symptoms is replaced by much looser and more subjective 'excessive thoughts, behaviors and feelings' and the clinician's perception of 'dysfunctional illness belief' or 'excessive preoccupation' with the bodily symptom.

"That, and a duration of at least six months, is all that is required to tick the box for a bolt-on diagnosis of a mental health disorder – Colorectal cancer + SSD; Angina + SSD; Type 2 diabetes + SSD; IBS + SSD..."

Full commentary: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...2/mislabeling-medical-illness-mental-disorder

alex3619

This is of course the concern that has been raised time and again and ignored. While its been a long time since I submitted my criticism to the APA, I think I said something along similar lines. I agree we should give this message a lot of reinforcement all over the net.

Thank you for all your hard work Suzy.

Dx Revision Watch

I agree we should give this message a lot of reinforcement all over the net.

Thank you Alex.

Yes, it needs to go everywhere.

Please repost the link to Psychology Today on blogs, blog comments, Facebook, Twitter, forums and to your contacts and ask them to forward the link on to their own contacts. We are particularly keen to also reach illness groups beyond ME, CFS and FM.

Suzy

Andrew

I posted about this on facebook. I'm not sure where else to post. Feel free to copy all or part of what I wrote for your own use:

The APA is about to publish a definition for a new psychiatric disorder. Under this definition, anyone can be said to have a mental disorder if he thinks his doctor is not taking his symptoms seriously enough. I'm sure all of you know at least one person who was treated in a dismissive way by a doctor, only to find out later that there was something seriously wrong. And usually the problem was found because the patient persisted despite the doctor's advice not to worry. Well, soon doctors will be able to throw the label of "mental illness" onto anyone who doesn't accept the doctor's opinion, which in turn will stigmatize the patient and make it harder for him to find real help.

If you think I'm kidding, read here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...beling-medical-illness-mental-disorder?page=2

Dx Revision Watch

I posted about this on facebook. I'm not sure where else to post. Feel free to copy all or part of what I wrote for your own use:

Facebook personal pages
Facebook group and cause pages (all illness groups, not just ME, CFS and FM)
Twitter
Blogs
Blog comments
Mention the commentary in comments to other DSM-5 articles on media sites (there is a list of recent media coverage on my site) though you can't always leave links.

It will come out on Co-Cure today or tomorrow.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
That article, besides alerting people to the immediate heinousness of the invented "SSD" diagnosis, also contains an excellent run-down of the harm that is caused when inappropriate psychiatric diagnoses are pinned on organic disease. The bullet points in the latter half of the first page of the article are a quote from Suzy Chapman's blog. http://dxrevisionwatch.com/2012/05/...-millions-more-under-mental-health-diagnosis/

There are a lot of reasons why the creation of this "disorder" is so incredibly dangerous. The implication that "excessive preoccupation" with physical symptoms is by its nature maladaptive (dysfunctional) means that anyone who pays "too close" attention to their symptoms, or puts "excessive time and energy" into their health concerns...well, that means anyone who monitors an illness and performs self-care could be declared to have a mental disorder. Have diabetes and check your blood sugar often? Better hope you aren't doing it excessively. Facing a serious medical diagnosis such as cancer, heart disease, liver disease, etc. and worrying about it? Better hope you aren't too absorbed or preoccupied with it. In fact this whole diagnostic category can serve as an inducement to pay as little attention to your physical symptoms as possible, and/or place your entire, unquestioning trust in a doctor's assessment of how "serious" your illness really is. This whole notion doesn't square very well with the idea of "being your own [health] advocate."

You know, I myself found that my sudden, painful, completely debilitating illness that left me unable to work and support myself caused a "high level of anxiety", and that I was fairly "absorbed" in my own unrelenting disease. There is no objective yardstick to measure how much anxiety or "absorption" is appropriate.

Dx Revision Watch

http://www.madinamerica.com/

Featured Blogs

Boycott The DSM-5: Anachronistic Before Its Time

Jack Carney, DSW

December 10, 2012
When plans for the DSM-5 were first announced about ten years ago, most folks’ reaction was “Why?”. Many of us asked that same question several times as the publication date for the new tome kept on getting pushed back. Finally, the curtain enshrouding the DSM-5 Task Force and its several committees began to part and proposed revisions/additions began to appear on its website. To our dismay, we found our question answered.

Full Article → [which includes quotes from my May 2012 website post and the Allen Frances Psychology Today blog]:

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/12/the-dsm-5-anachronistic-before-its-time-boycott-the-dsm-5/

Enid

Glad you are following this through Suzy - I can't - limited energies for other fights here, but recognise the c... produced by the ignorant psyche lobby - oh should they have any disease, and they will though scrabbling to try to fit into a psycho framework.

alex3619

http://www.madinamerica.com/

Featured Blogs

Boycott The DSM-5: Anachronistic Before Its Time

Jack Carney, DSW

December 10, 2012
When plans for the DSM-5 were first announced about ten years ago, most folks’ reaction was “Why?”. Many of us asked that same question several times as the publication date for the new tome kept on getting pushed back. Finally, the curtain enshrouding the DSM-5 Task Force and its several committees began to part and proposed revisions/additions began to appear on its website. To our dismay, we found our question answered.

Full Article → [which includes quotes from my May 2012 website post and the Allen Frances Psychology Today blog]:

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/12/the-dsm-5-anachronistic-before-its-time-boycott-the-dsm-5/

This is where I have been thinking its heading. Even as I wrote my commentary to APA on DSM-V I thought it would not be stopped, and the real fight was after it was released. This is not science or medicine as it should be practiced or as we want it to be practiced. I would like to see a clear message sent to the APA. Lets make this a collosal financial loss for them, and boycott it.