• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfur and Methylation

xrayspex

does sulphate in supplements (like magnesium) and medicine increase sulphur in body like sulphites? I know it can increase potential gut problems. I do not seem to tolerate sulphates well. Would sulphur intolerance be a reason eggs and garlic make me sick? anyone have a good diet to minimize sulphur, a link?

freshveggies

I received my Quantofix strips today. I am not sure how to read the results. Is anyone else using these?

If anyone else is using these, here is my question. There are 4 blocks on the strip. But when I match the results up to the back of the bottle, the top two are lighter than the bottom two. What should I be using as my reference for results.
Hold the bottle upright and the strips should have the 4 blocks at the top and hold them next to the bottle. I believe the top 2 should be lighter than the bottom 2. You want to be at 400 or less.

freshveggies

does sulphate in supplements (like magnesium) and medicine increase sulphur in body like sulphites? I know it can increase potential gut problems. I do not seem to tolerate sulphates well. Would sulphur intolerance be a reason eggs and garlic make me sick? anyone have a good diet to minimize sulphur, a link?

You want to watch the magnesium sulfate and not have that. My doc said citrate is ok for me. I can't say I know on any other forms of magnesium though. The sulfur in the eggs are garlic --not sure. Meat has a lot of sulfur. There is a link above on a low thiol food list that is suppose to be good for low sulfur. I believe I have to lower my meat to 3 oz a day like Yasko said. I have been adding in a brown rice protein shake in the am and at noon. I can tell a difference not having fish or meat at those meals. This is definetly not how I like to eat. I am eating zuchinni, carrots, celery, cucumber. Some nuts. Fats. It is real hard. I would love to see what others are eating too. I think we are all so different though too.. Here is an interesting blog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-do-i-eat.html

http://lowsulfurrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/03/coconut-milk-basil-ice-cream.html

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/sulfur_containing_amino_acids/vegetables/4/

Hold the bottle upright and the strips should have the 4 blocks at the top and hold them next to the bottle. I believe the top 2 should be lighter than the bottom 2. You want to be at 400 or less.

Yep, I did that but when I try to compare the strip to the bottle, the top two oranges match the > 1600 but the bottom two match the >800, they don't match the full "strip". Does that make sense?

freshveggies

I would read it if the bottom 2 match the bottom 2 on 800, then you are 800 becasue the top 2 should then look like all of the 1600.

Does anyone know accurate these strips are? How long do you have to be on a Low Sulfur diet to see improvement? I have been on this Low Sulfur diet for 3 weeks and haven't seen anything change in symptoms or my sticks, they are always 1200.

UM MAN

My wife and I ate the same foods and I tested >1200 and she tested <400.
Since FV, you, and I, still keep having high sulfate in our urine, after limiting
food sources of sulfer, I guest the body can store a lot. OR...Maybe, we absorb more
from your food than most people, and the people with >400 poop it out.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Can someone tell me is it sulphate or sulphite strips needed to test for sulphur in urine? It doesn't help with the american spelling being sulfite and sulfate, I'm sulphured out:)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks Kimfm - I presume the english spelling is sulphate so I can buy them in the UK okay.
I think I'll give them a go, I definitely have a problem with kale and brussel sprouts, broccoli was one of the few vegetables I could eat for several years but recently have been able to drop it for weeks at a time, and felt better so worth a trial.

There is another spelling on the bottle that says Sufat, if that helps :). I didn't know I had a problem with any of my greens, my doctor suspected it due to symptoms. So I wanted to confirm it before continuing the very restrictive diet. Now I know but a month of the diet hasn't changed my numbers yet.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks I'll check - You're right about it being a restricted diet:(
I remember Fredd making the link a while back, but I never took it seriously until I stopped eating broccoli and felt so much better.
I don't think I can eliminate everything but will reduce what I can.

I've been on a low sulfur diet for 4 weeks now and am

CBS A360A A AG +/-
CBS C699T A AG +/-

Just tested using Quantofix test strips and it I would say it is inbetween the >200 and >400, closer to the former.

freshveggies

I've been on a low sulfur diet for 4 weeks now and am

CBS A360A A AG +/-
CBS C699T A AG +/-

Just tested using Quantofix test strips and it I would say it is inbetween the >200 and >400, closer to the former.

That seems good. I am hetero for cbs C699 and still show 1200 and I have been low sulfur for 5 months. I must still be detoxing from sulfur----or maybe gut bacteria creating this? I am going to do a Gi Metametrix test to see my Gi panel.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Just for reference, I have two CBS +/+ and two COMT +/+ (but no SUOX) and I have no problem with sulfur. Hair analysis always shows me a tad high on molybdenum. I have no idea what I eat to get high in molybdenum. (And high molybdenum makes you deficient in some other mineral...I think copper, so take care). I have to take 50mg P5P every day or I get short of breath (anemic). I think the active B6 (P5P) is needed for my CBS. I rarely have issues with COMT but in those rare times when I think I do, something else unusual went on with my diet, and I am too irritable to analyze it and figure it out. (I only recall that - well you know life makes you cut corners, and too much corner cutting can cause me issues, but I cannot be more specific than that).

I think getting to the heart of a COMT issue requires a 3rd party observer. (I sometimes get inexorably tearful and I think maybe that might be a COMT issue, dunno).

I would be interested to hear what other people consider a COMT issue?

dbkita

Just for reference, I have two CBS +/+ and two COMT +/+ (but no SUOX) and I have no problem with sulfur. Hair analysis always shows me a tad high on molybdenum. I have no idea what I eat to get high in molybdenum. (And high molybdenum makes you deficient in some other mineral...I think copper, so take care). I have to take 50mg P5P every day or I get short of breath (anemic). I think the active B6 (P5P) is needed for my CBS. I rarely have issues with COMT but in those rare times when I think I do, something else unusual went on with my diet, and I am too irritable to analyze it and figure it out. (I only recall that - well you know life makes you cut corners, and too much corner cutting can cause me issues, but I cannot be more specific than that).

I think getting to the heart of a COMT issue requires a 3rd party observer. (I sometimes get inexorably tearful and I think maybe that might be a COMT issue, dunno).

I would be interested to hear what other people consider a COMT issue?
I thought p5p is the cofactor for cystathione beta i.e. cbs ? I am comt also but hetero ... for me means relatively more catecholamines.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Yes P5P is the cofactor for CBS. It helps a large percentage of people with CBS defects.
Don't worry about COMT +/- ... I said elsewhere that's like winning the lottery. It is tied
to intelligence and also stability, whereas COMT +/+ is tied to intelligence and instability
(moodiness, bipolar, etc). People take COMT inhibitors to achieve what you have going naturally.

dbkita

Agreed unless your body makes excess NE due to immune dysregulation then defects in comt swarm your cns with norepinephrine.

So why is stimulating CBS enzyme with p5p to drain more homocysteine down the transsulfuration pathway? I ask only because Yasko suggests limiting b6 for cbs patients and I am still trying to figure out the best amount of p5p for me to take.

That seems good. I am hetero for cbs C699 and still show 1200 and I have been low sulfur for 5 months. I must still be detoxing from sulfur----or maybe gut bacteria creating this? I am going to do a Gi Metametrix test to see my Gi panel.

Hi, I have several mutations that you all are mentioning but I have a question about the Quantofix test strips. I would like to buy them, put the company said that they cannot guarantee the accuracy due to the strips not being quality controlled. Have you all found them reasonably accurate? I hate to buy them from Yasko cause they are 100.00 which seems a poor price to me. Thanks- Terry