• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stinking smell inside my nose? sinus??

taniaaust1

I sniffed hard last night and it must of cleared something as suddenly there was a big whiff of a smell (Iike something dead) which came from somewhere within my nose or sinuses. It was discusting. Im wondering if this would mean anything? eg infection? bacteria? (I used to carry staph in my nose but didnt get smells like that) or is something like that just something to ignore? My nose soon went back to its very slightly blocked state (which I often dont even notice and I hence then stopped smelling that terrible rotting body smell). Its really made me wonder what it is in me which is rotting.

Gavman

Undigested food, bad bacteria or nasal infection imo.
I smell sulphur a lot -- I seem to dump sulfur when I'm sensitive to something.

Tonsils can hold a bunch of really rotten crud and bacteria in the crevices. Maybe you got a whiff of that?

IreneF

I've gotten that too. A "rotten egg" smell. It seemed to come from outside my body, though. It went away after a few weeks. I have chronic sinusitis and it didn't seem to correlate with a flare.

taniaaust1

rotten egg smell.. that's a sulfur smell isnt it?????

It wasnt a sulfur smell I experienced but rotting bodies. Ive started to wonder maybe i did have some rotting meat or something end up in my nasal cavity. Ive blown my nose before and had large food chunks come out from there. So maybe that is what it was? (thou the cause of it hasnt come out of my nose).

IreneF

rotten egg smell.. that's a sulfur smell isnt it?????

It wasnt a sulfur smell I experienced but rotting bodies. Ive started to wonder maybe i did have some rotting meat or something end up in my nasal cavity. Ive blown my nose before and had large food chunks come out from there. So maybe that is what it was? (thou the cause of it hasnt come out of my nose).

Yes, rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulfide.

Maybe you should get a neti pot and rinse your sinuses. And if you get that smell again maybe you should see your doc. It could be a deep-seated sinus infection.

Could it come from your gut? I had some foul belches when my gut was acting up.

taniaaust1

Could it come from your gut? I had some foul belches when my gut was acting up.

Its definately came from my sinus or nasel passage as it come in due to a sniff up which freed some area in my nose.

Im thinking more about it and I think I may have something going on in possibly the sinus? area due to a weird incident 8mths ago? when a handful amount of thick gunk/goo (very sticky like thick glue which has been squeezed out of tube) which almost choked me as it was that thick, suddenly went into my mouth from what seemed to come from my upper passages above my mouth??. I dont remember that goo smelling thou at all (candida mass?? bacterial mass?).

I'll try to get another nasal swab some time (had staph on a past nasal swab which was treated.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Yes. I have this too and my doctor says it can be a sign that you have a sinus infection or other chronic sinus problem. I would go get an antibiotic right away so it does not get worse.

GracieJ

I've heard of several causes for this, tania, would definitely get sinuses checked.

I've had a weird smell inside my nose from another cause as well -- as symptoms have improved and "smells" I was living with and was used to went away, it actually took a while to get used to how my own body tissue "smells." Was really weird for a while getting used to "normal."

This next one is an emotional knee-jerk reaction on my part, but I will add it anyway as an FYI, general-knowledge piece: Just before a stroke happens, the person will experience smelling a very strong, "off" odor. I learned that in the course of seeing a friend suffer a small stroke she was supposed to recover from... then suffered brain swelling, two heart attacks, and brain death over three days. Very hard to see her pass so young and so quickly. (33)

Not saying you are pre-stroke, but definitely get it checked out!

xchocoholic

I've done this too.

Since it went away, I wouldn't try to do anything about it. Chances are there's nothing to detect or
treat. Fwiw, neti pots make my sinuses worse because inevitably water gets trapped and so my sinuses
stay wet.

I had a foul smell non stop when I had
parasites. I remember that eating papaya seeds, which kill parasites, burned my sinuses at
first but stopped after a few days or weeks. I'm fuzzy on the timing because I was feeling so puny.

On the chronic stuffy nose, much to my surprise zyrtec and vistaril clear this for me. 25 mg of Vistaril worked the best
but it also knocked me out for 3 days. Nasalcrom is too drying for me. As is regular usage of Benadryl. Reactions
to allergy meds appears to be very individualistic so you may have to play around with this. Of course finding
and eliminating the cause would be the best answer but sadly we canaries can't get our own planet. Lol.

Tc ... X

Enid

Yes indeed for a long time tania - can you check infections in the sinuses.

taniaaust1

I've heard of several causes for this, tania, would definitely get sinuses checked.

I've had a weird smell inside my nose from another cause as well -- as symptoms have improved and "smells" I was living with and was used to went away, it actually took a while to get used to how my own body tissue "smells." Was really weird for a while getting used to "normal."

This next one is an emotional knee-jerk reaction on my part, but I will add it anyway as an FYI, general-knowledge piece: Just before a stroke happens, the person will experience smelling a very strong, "off" odor. I learned that in the course of seeing a friend suffer a small stroke she was supposed to recover from... then suffered brain swelling, two heart attacks, and brain death over three days. Very hard to see her pass so young and so quickly. (33)

Not saying you are pre-stroke, but definitely get it checked out!

oh LOL Gracie.. Im at a much higher risk for strokes due to MTHFR polymorphism I have.. so thanks :p . If I ever have a stoke it best be a good one as I dont think I'd want to survive it.

How does a doctor check one to see if sinuses are okay?

I only ever take antibiotics for something If I what it is and know that antibiotic will work on it eg the Staph Ive had in the past was immune to most antibiotics when they tested it against them. (most of the time when I take antibiotics in the past I used to then develop very problematic Candida issues sometimes for up to 6mths of lots of Candida treatment to fix.. so Im very cautious of them).

Wifi123

Tania I sue a FLO Sinus Care produced by ENT Technologies in Melbourne. It flushes the whole sinus cavity, and keeps it clean from debris that might get lodged when eating and blowing your nose soon after eating. It really works.