• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best forum for Lyme?

I've suspected Lyme for many years, but my test results have been equivocal (borderline positive IgenX, low CD-57 count but negative on other tests). I decided to do the new Lyme culture assay from Advanced Labs, and I got the results this morning: positive.

I made an appointment with a LLMD for January. In the meantime, I'd like to learn more. I've already read Cure Unknown, and just purchased a few more books. I have training in the sciences and I'm a health care practitioner myself, so I'm also interested in reading the original research.

What is the best forum for Lyme? I don't see one here, but I know there's overlap between ME/CFS and Lyme so I thought this might be a good place to ask.

Ema

I have Lyme and I haven't found a great forum for it honestly. I have found good discussion of Lyme on this site though as well as on the Addison's forum that I belong to. It's tough because some Lyme folks can get quite militant on the subject and I'm not sure that is always the most helpful.

I also like this blog:
http://www.lymemd.blogspot.com/

And this book: The Lyme Disease Solution, Singleton

Also, Insights into Lyme, http://www.lymebook.com/insights-book-connie

Movie: Under Our Skin

Ema

The Lyme situation is sad. I am now convinced Lyme is my primary problem. The testing is a disaster and treatment is even worse. Its very hard to get competent help. Most mainstream doctors don't know how to properly test for Lyme if you can convince them to do it. Then they do the CDC 2 tier and if you fail the ELISA, you have an impossible road ahead. If you are lucky enough to get a positive, they will give you inadequate treatment. If you go to a LLMD, they will bend the test to show a positive in many cases. Then they don't know how to treat it. The only hope is to study the research yourself. Find a doctor who doesn't have a stake in the Lyme Wars on either side and who is flexible with testing thoroughness and treatment. The militants on Lyme Forums will convince you that you have Lyme based on posted symptoms. It took me 2 years to sort it out. Under Our Skin is entertaining but is hardly balanced. It is good in that it shows that you need to advocate for yourself and don't buy into either side without lots of evidence. Dr. Burrascano's slides from Boston are about the best summary you will find:

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/slides/burrascano/burrascano.html

GcMAF Australia

The Lyme situation is sad. I am now convinced Lyme is my primary problem. The testing is a disaster and treatment is even worse. Its very hard to get competent help. Most mainstream doctors don't know how to properly test for Lyme if you can convince them to do it. Then they do the CDC 2 tier and if you fail the ELISA, you have an impossible road ahead. If you are lucky enough to get a positive, they will give you inadequate treatment. If you go to a LLMD, they will bend the test to show a positive in many cases. Then they don't know how to treat it. The only hope is to study the research yourself. Find a doctor who doesn't have a stake in the Lyme Wars on either side and who is flexible with testing thoroughness and treatment. The militants on Lyme Forums will convince you that you have Lyme based on posted symptoms. It took me 2 years to sort it out. Under Our Skin is entertaining but is hardly balanced. It is good in that it shows that you need to advocate for yourself and don't buy into either side without lots of evidence. Dr. Burrascano's slides from Boston are about the best summary you will find:

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/slides/burrascano/burrascano.html
Hi
there are apparantly only 2 tests that work for lyme, these use cDNA to check for the presence of the bacteria
best wishes

there are apparantly only 2 tests that work for lyme, these use cDNA to check for the presence of the bacteria
best wishes

What do you mean by cDNA? PCR tests that utilize DNA are 30% sensitive at best. The ALS culture seems to be the best if the PCR option is used to verify and identify the Borrelia. Even with DNA, its still possible depending on the primers used, to miss some species. A positive culture that is confirmed with DNA is the best I've come across. In the US, mainstream doctors will typically only believe the CDC 2 tiered antibody test. Historically, a culture has been considered the gold standard in ID since growing the bacteria from ones blood is pretty bulletproof if its not contaminated and identified correctly.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What do you mean by cDNA? PCR tests that utilize DNA are 30% sensitive at best. The ALS culture seems to be the best if the PCR option is used to verify and identify the Borrelia. Even with DNA, its still possible depending on the primers used, to miss some species. A positive culture that is confirmed with DNA is the best I've come across. In the US, mainstream doctors will typically only believe the CDC 2 tiered antibody test. Historically, a culture has been considered the gold standard in ID since growing the bacteria from ones blood is pretty bulletproof if its not contaminated and identified correctly.

Here is another lab that has an interesting method of testing: http://www.infectolab.de/index.php?id=51&L=1

They have several modes of testing for Lyme and co-infections--you might find exploring their site interesting.

Sushi

GcMAF Australia

LHCTom
sorry i meant PCR
in australia the tests are pretty poor (i realise you are not here) and Lyme doesnt even officially exist here.
Although people are dying of it!
I am not sure how easy it is to culture the bacteria?
I see from your other posts that you have looked at a lot of the posts.
Chronic Illness Recovery https://chronicillnessrecovery.org/
Has had some success with Lyme and other things that are bacterial related
I dont have personal experience with this

AFCFS

Lyme doesnt even officially exist here.
Even if not official, I had always found this site interesting - Lyme Disease Association of Australia. Seems clear, concise and to the point.

This also seems a pretty good overview with an Australian perspective - Department of Medical Entomology: Lyme Disease, but seems to show a more conservative bend, stating "It has been reported from every continent (except Antarctica) although doubt remains as to whether it occurs in the southern hemisphere in general, and in Australia in particular."

GcMAF Australia

Even if not official, I had always found this site interesting - Lyme Disease Association of Australia. Seems clear, concise and to the point.

This also seems a pretty good overview with an Australian perspective - Department of Medical Entomology: Lyme Disease, but seems to show a more conservative bend, stating "It has been reported from every continent (except Antarctica) although doubt remains as to whether it occurs in the southern hemisphere in general, and in Australia in particular."
yes thanks, good site
interesting that over 200,000 Australians may be infected with Lyme disease