• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lots of values significantly off in Genova Nutreval

Does anybody know how to draw conclusions from a Genova Nutreval Test, where lots of values are really out of whack? I am happy to post the test pdf itself if you tell me where to upload it. I am also open to a consultation with a doctor who has significant experience in methylation issues and the use of the Nutreval test as part of building the bigger picture.

High Red Beta-OH-Butyric Acid (BHBA)
High Red Suberic Acid
High Yellow 3-Methyl-4-OH-phenyglycol
High Red Alpha-Ketoisovaleric Acid
High Red Alpha-Ketoisocaproic Acid
High Red Alpha-Keto-Beta-Methylvaleric Acid
High Red 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid
Low Red 3-Hydroxyisovaleric Acid
Low Red Alpha-Hydroxyisobutric Acid

Low Methionine
Low Phenylalanine
Very high Taurine
High Threonine
Quite high Cystathionine
Low Glycine
Low Serine
Low Ethanolamine
High Phosphoethanolamine
Low Phosphorine
Almost non existent Aspartic Acid
Low Cysteine
Low Glutamine
High alpha-linolenic
High Eicosadienoic
High Stearic
Low Arachidic
Low Behenic
Hi Tricosanoic
Low Pentadecanoic
Low Magaric
Low Glutathione
Yellow Low RBC copper
Yellow Low RBC manganese
Yellow Low RBC potassium
Yellow Low RBC selenium
Red High Mercury
Yellow high lead
Yellow high Antimony
Yellow high Arsenic

Thanks

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
brainfog316

You might try a consult with Dr. Neil Nathan. He and Rich worked together and did a study of the simplified methylation protocol. I don't know if he can consult by phone or Skype though.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Valentijn

Low Methionine
Quite high Cystathionine
Low Cysteine
Low Glutathione

Were vitamins or homocysteine tested at all? Cysteine is pretty essential in a lot of ways (including forming glutathione), and having a high level of its precursor (cystathionine) indicates you might not have enough B6 to help convert it.

Yellow Low RBC copper
Yellow Low RBC manganese
Yellow Low RBC potassium
Yellow Low RBC selenium

You could try supplementing these. Though getting elements tested in your blood might give a more accurate look at what's happening. I had generally normal levels in whole blood, but low in blood cells and high in serum ... so what looks like a deficiency in urine or even whole blood might not be a simple deficiency.

My bad - yes - there is a vitamin section in the lab and it is as you suspected:
Yellow Need:
ALA, Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Folic Acid (B9), Cobalamin (B12), Zinc

Red Need:
Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Biotin (B7)

I have taken the Yasko panel and the Vitamin Diagnostics Methylation Pathways Panel, too and am waiting for both results, but I know I have probably inherited a nice list of polymorphisms from my father, who is:
COMT --, VDR Taq+-, MAOA++, ACE++, MTHFR C677T+-, MTHFRA1298C+-, MTRR 11+-,BHMT1+-, CBS C699T+-, CBS A360A+-, SHMT+-, NOS D298E+-

Since brainfog, short term memory, focus (can't read books), fatigue, post exercise fatigue, high cholesterol are my primary complaints I assume I have inherited (but I won't act on this assumption obviously until I get my own tests back) I assume I have inherited a nice mix of those SNPs.

And yes my homocysteine is 9.1 in a range of 0-15, which while in the range is quite high I think, right?

In term of the Genova test results and recommendations: Because I am fairly sure I am mercury toxic fom the many amalgam fillings I grew up with ( and they were improperly removed at age 25) I can't just take ALA as a supplement (says Cutler) and I believe because of the possible MTHFRs I have I am not really supposed to take folic acid (which kind of rules out the Yasko Neurological Health formula for me). I could easily either find a multi B vitamin that contains the right mix or individually take the needed Bs. I am also chronically Vit D deficient which comes up nicely as soon as I start taking 6,000 units a day. The other issues with the Yasko (Holistic Heal) multi is that it has a lot of taurine and my taurine is sky high. So, technicaly I probably shouldn't take it. But I did read somewhere that the body works in mysterious ways and that a high level of blood taurine doesn't necessarily mean the body doesn't need taurine.

Sorry for the random/scattered thoughts - it's one of my symptoms.

Valentijn

My bad - yes - there is a vitamin section in the lab and it is as you suspected:
Yellow Need:
ALA, Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Folic Acid (B9), Cobalamin (B12), Zinc

Red Need:
Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Biotin (B7)

I could easily either find a multi B vitamin that contains the right mix or individually take the needed Bs.

The good thing about the B vitamins, except B6, is that they're water-soluble, so taking too much of the others isn't a problem - any excess just gets peed out. Any intelligent B-complex (doses based on what a body typically needs, instead of "50 of everything") should be fine, though active (methyl-) forms of folate (B9) and cobalamin (B12) might be preferable.

At any rate, it's probably a good idea to avoid the cyanocobalamin form of B12, since that can leave small amounts of cyanide behind, which might be a problem if your body isn't able to detoxify it properly.