• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting Overwhelmed

belize44

Along with CFIDS, I am going through a hellish menopause. So last night I was watching TV with my husband, and felt still another hot flash coming on. After it had passed, I realized that I had grown overwhelmingly weak and sleepy. Thinking I would get up and go to bed, I started to get up from the sofa only to find that my limbs wouldn't work. I felt like I had gotten somehow heavier, and my heart was racing and pounding like mad. My husband had to nearly carry me because my legs wouldn't work right. This frightening fatigue went on for nearly an hour, during which I couldn't even lift my arm unassisted. My husband later looked up my symptoms, and hazarded a guess that it sounded like a Vagus nerve issue. I am getting overwhelmed with the sheer volume of symptoms I have had to contend with in the past month.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

LisaGoddard

Hi, Just felt I would respond as it sounds tough. I'm just starting the menopause and I haven't the experience of weak limbs, but i went into A&E last week with chest pains, and I have been getting heart palpitations. I don't know the cause but hopefully someone will add to the thread who has some knowledge. Hang in there!
Lisa

kday

These are common symptoms of ME. I wouldn't think A-Fib, but it's always good to get a 24 hour or 30 day heart monitor if these are new events for you.

kday

You may want to ask your doctor about D-Ribose for the weak limbs symptoms. Might help the palps too. It's a simple sugar - pretty harmless at suggested doses unless you have severe hypoglycemia or diabetes.

belize44

I have already gone on a 30 day heart monitor, and all they wanted was t have me go on Diltiazam permanently. It made me so lethargic that I had to wean off, plus it made my heart palpitations worse. And btw, I do take D-Ribose daily. I am really puzzled about this. I have had to just put up with the pounding and irregular heartbeats because the cure was worse than the problem, in this case.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have already gone on a 30 day heart monitor, and all they wanted was t have me go on Diltiazam permanently. It made me so lethargic that I had to wean off, plus it made my heart palpitations worse. And btw, I do take D-Ribose daily. I am really puzzled about this. I have had to just put up with the pounding and irregular heartbeats because the cure was worse than the problem, in this case.

Hi belize,

Have you had your hormones tested? Bioidentical hormone replacement has helped some with menopause symptoms. I don't know whether it would effect the kind of weakness you experienced, but things tie in together in mysterious ways.

Best wishes,
Sushi

K2 for Hope

ALways Hoping
Interestingly, I have to agree with at least getting the hormones checked out. I have sinus tachycardia and last spring was having a lot of issues with heart palpitations, headaches, along with other "menopausal" type symptoms. My internist put me bio-identical hormones and almost all of the symptoms have been relieved. Just my experience...

Wish you the best,
K2

taniaaust1

Hi, thou in my case it wasnt related to menopause but rather the severity I had of ME at that point of time.. I used to at times suffer from paralyses where I couldnt even move a finger or lift my head. I'd stare at the body part and will it to move but it just wouldnt move no matter how hard I tried. I tend to think it was some kind of neurological thing which kicked in at times when I was crashed bad. I'd also struggle to open my eyes and if I did get them open.. it would be an intense effort to keep them open.

belize44

Hi belize,

Have you had your hormones tested? Bioidentical hormone replacement has helped some with menopause symptoms. I don't know whether it would effect the kind of weakness you experienced, but things tie in together in mysterious ways.

Best wishes,
Sushi
I think that is a good idea, about getting the hormones tested. I currently use a topical hormone cream, but maybe I need something more.