• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate Side Effects ?

geesiddiqui

MTHFREase
Yes I've slowly built up levels of folate over time. If I make a big jump I get the headaches and acne. You can take niacin and potassium to address immediately and bring down your dosage.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Consider 50 to 100 mg of time-released niacin. This is 1/4 of a tablet.
Is this a good idea? I have read not to split time-release tablets because you lose the time-release function.

geesiddiqui

MTHFREase
I suspect that is to make sure you are not flushing. You can get flush-free niacin, which usually comes in high doses and split that..

alex3619

The side effects all look like eicosanoid side effects. I am currently experimenting with resverotrol and it seems to counter-act the methylation side effects without inhibiting methylation. However I do have two issues from doing this. The first is more muscle pain, and the second is reduced quantity of sleep. I am still experimenting though.

alex3619

Resverotrol impedes eicosanoid synthesis. I can appreciate that this might distort healing. However given that methylation and antioxidants promote the same pathway in opposition to resverotrol (series 2 and 3 eicosanoids), resverotrol needed to suppressive excessive eicosanoid synthesis in my view. As for promoting healing, I have other strategies I am investigating based on immunological principles but I am many months from discussing those.

So there is a balancing act. Too much eicosanoid synthesis and watch the symptoms multiply. Too little eicosanoids and healing can be impaired. This would be particularly true for gut healing which may mean that resverotrol should not be used without a companion protocol such as methylation or antioxidants.

Also with reduced quantity of sleep, there might be reduced quality also (restorative stages) and less growth hormone release.

The side effects all look like eicosanoid side effects. I am currently experimenting with resverotrol and it seems to counter-act the methylation side effects without inhibiting methylation. However I do have two issues from doing this. The first is more muscle pain, and the second is reduced quantity of sleep. I am still experimenting though.

What specific supplement and dosages are you using?

alex3619

I am using a capsule that contains 305 mg T98 grape seed derived resveratrol. I am not sure it has a brand name, doh. It also has 195 mg grape seed extract. I am currently taking four of them, but this is probably too much, whereas taking one is not enough.

As for reduced quality of sleep, I never sleep well anyway, no matter what. LDN has marginally improved that. I think resveratrol/antioxidant/methylation does too. Its not a simple response and I am still trying to figure it out.

I have just posted a blog on this here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/is-the-fatigue-in-me-an-eicosanoid-phenomena.1320/