• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal and Tapering

arx

Hi,

I've created this thread for people to share their experiences with benzo withdrawal symptoms,how they dealt with it and how they tapered it.I believe many have had experiences with benzodiazepines, so it will be beneficial for those who are still in the phase of withdrawal and tapering,or plan to.
It would be good to get a general view of withdrawal symptoms,dosages,tapering schedules and so on. I couldn't find a thread focused specifically on withdrawal symptoms and tapering,so thought I'd create one.

So please go ahead and share your experience.

Thanks.

Parismountain

22 years on .25 milligram Klonopin. About once a month I'll take a whole pill, .5 mg. I have felt funny if I forget a pill and have tried a couple times to get to .125 milligrams, that dose is too small to help with some anxiety I've developed. The worst is a hitch in swallowing, not having confidence when you're chewing that you can then trigger a swallow. When I've tapered down to a quarter pill that difficult symptom returns and at half a pill it is very manageable (not perfect, with me it depends on how much activity is going on around me).

Arx,
I honestly think this is a Klonopin problem. "Benzo withdrawal" encompasses too many different drugs. I haven't heard anybody on this forum say he /she was addicted to Valium or Temazepam. I remember the rapper Eminem said he got addicted to "sleeping pills", but he never specified what that meant. Could have included Ambien and Lunesta.
I think Xanax and Klonopin are the most frequently habituated drugs. That might because they are frequently prescribed to people with anxiety or psyciatric problems.

taniaaust1

Arx,
I honestly think this is a Klonopin problem. "Benzo withdrawal" encompasses too many different drugs. I haven't heard anybody on this forum say he /she was addicted to Valium or Temazepam.

Ive seen posts on this forum in the post of people with issues to coming off Valium and Temazepam. They can be just as bad as Klonopin.

There was only someone having trouble coming off of Temazepam posted in past few weeks who was after advice (umm unless they sent me rest of the info of their benzo addiction and that it was Temazepam by pm here. I ended up refering the person to pm some others here for advice).. i cant remember now.. maybe on the forum they didnt say what benzo it was which they were struggling to come off

Ive twice developed tollerances to Temazepam dose which I take at times for sleep (tollerance happens extremely easily even thou ive taken with a lot of care) but fortunately in my case I dont have any trouble with not taking it either.

Ive seen posts on this forum in the post of people with issues to coming off Valium and Temazepam. They can be just as bad as Klonopin.

There was only someone having trouble coming off of Temazepam posted in past few weeks who was after advice (umm unless they sent me rest of the info of their benzo addiction and that it was Temazepam by pm here. I ended up refering the person to pm some others here for advice).. i cant remember now.. maybe on the forum they didnt say what benzo it was which they were struggling to come off

Ive twice developed tollerances to Temazepam dose which I take at times for sleep (tollerance happens extremely easily even thou ive taken with a lot of care) but fortunately in my case I dont have any trouble with not taking it either.

Perhaps there have been a few posts about patients needing to taper off of Temazepam, Valium. But the number of folks addicted, or needing to taper off of Klonopin outnumbers them ten-to-one. There have been several quite long threads about "the dangers of benzos", and I didn't see one post involving Temazepam. It was all Klonopin.

I think Klonopin has gotten to be the fashionable drug to give to ME/CFS patients. Somehow doctors think they aren't administering a real narcotic. It's considered an anti-seizure medication. Meanhile it seems more of our patients are addicted to Klonopin than any other benzo.

I've also noticed that in the US there is greater concern about painkiller abuse. It is in on television, in the media, feature documentaries, everywhere. In the UK, Australia there is a lot of attention about a benzo problem. Intense focus. But I haven't seen CNN do a feature documentary about "the scourge of benzodiazopine abuse in America" like they did about Oxycontin last week.

For some reason, Klonopin became the weapon of choice among the anti-seizures. However, Temazepam withdrawal can have all the same effects, as well. It actually has a higher kill-rate than the other benzos do regarding withdrawal, with a slightly higher chance of going into seizures. You don't read about Temaz or others as much, simply because doctors aren't prescribing them as much. But the effects are all still very similar.

In the US, Temazepam does not have a bad reputation. Or as bad.

I didn't realize that in Australia, the UK, it is widely abused:
North America

In North America, temazepam misuse is not widespread. Other benzodiazepines are more commonly prescribed for insomnia. In the United States, temazepam is the fifth most prescribed benzodiazepine. Individuals abusing benzodiazepines obtain the drug by getting prescriptions from several doctors, forging prescriptions, or buying diverted pharmaceutical products on the illicit market. North America has never had a serious problem with temazepam misuse, but is becoming increasingly vulnerable to the illicit trade of temazepam.
Australia

Temazepam accounts for most benzodiazepine sought by forgery of prescriptions and through pharmacy burglary in Victoria. Due to intravenous abuse, the Australian government decided to put it under a more restrictive schedule than it previously was, and since March 2004 temazepam capsules have been withdrawn from the Australian market. Benzodiazepines are commonly detected by Customs at different ports and airports, arriving by mail, also found occasionally in the baggage of air passengers, mostly small or medium quantities (up to 200–300 tablets) for personal use. From 2003 to 2006 customs detected approximately 500 illegal importations of benzodiazepines per year, most frequently diazepam. Quantities varied from single tablets to 2,000 tablets.​
United Kingdom

In 1987, Temazepam was the most widely-abused legal prescription drug in the United Kingdom. The use of benzodiazepines by street drug abusers was part of a polydrug abuse pattern, but many of those entering treatment facilities were declaring temazepam as their main drug of abuse. Temazepam was the most commonly used benzodiazepine in a study, published 1994, of injecting drug users in seven cities and had been injected from preparations of capsules, tablets and syrup.The increase in use of heroin, often mixed with other drugs, which most often included temazepam, diazepam and alcohol, was a major factor in the increase in drug related deaths in Glasgow and Edinburgh 1990-1992. Temazepam use was particularly associated with violent or disorderly behaviours and contact with the police in a 1997 study of young single homeless people in Scotland.The BBC series Panorama featured an episode titled "Temazepam Wars", dealing with the epidemic of temazepam abuse and directly-related crime in Paisley, Scotland.

taniaaust1

All benzo drugs even Klonopin (called Rivotril here) are hard to get in Australia. (it took me ages till I found a doctor willing to prescribe me Klonopin... probably about 35 doctors).

North America has never had a serious problem with temazepam misuse, but is becoming increasingly vulnerable to the illicit trade of temazepam.
Australia
Temazepam accounts for most benzodiazepine sought by forgery of prescriptions and through pharmacy burglary in Victoria. Due to intravenous abuse, the Australian government decided to put it under a more restrictive schedule than it previously was, and since March 2004 temazepam capsules have been withdrawn from the Australian market.

On the black market in Australia.. Ive heard that just ONE Temazapam tablet can be worth up to $50-60 so that makes my little pack of 25 worth $1250 on the black market.... so one can preceive why these benzo drugs can be hard to get. Its annoying.. that peoples misuse of things prevents others being able to access. It would be very rare to see an Aussie doctor giving out benzos like lollies.

All benzo drugs even Klonopin (called Rivotril here) are hard to get in Australia. (it took me ages till I found a doctor willing to prescribe me Klonopin... probably about 35 doctors).

On the black market in Australia.. Ive heard that just ONE Temazapam tablet can be worth up to $50-60 so that makes my little pack of 25 worth $1250 on the black market.... so one can preceive why these benzo drugs can be hard to get. Its annoying.. that peoples misuse of things prevents others being able to access. It would be very rare to see an Aussie doctor giving out benzos like lollies.

Yes, a few people make it hard for the rest of us. I'm sorry about your difficulties.

To all druggies in Australia: try Vicodin or Oxycontin, like we abuse here in America, it is much better. Leave the TM for real patients (I don't think they listened).

Parismountain

For people who are inclined to suggest people taper completely off Klonopin I'd like to ask a question. Having been on a small .25 mg dose for 22 years, what would one make of that?

Is honing in on my dose and not gradually growing, is that a sign I might be okay maintaining that dose or would people argue to taper completely off under a physician's watching eye?

I'm sure were I to dump the stuff completely I'd be very less social. I enjoy fellowship in say groups of under 10 or so but minus the K I think I'd become very much of a loner. When I first came down with CFS in my 20s I was so weak I developed a psychological problem of not wanting to eat with others My CFS doc has told me repeatedly this anxiety has a lot to do with the complete lack of energy and were a cure come down the pipe he's very confident all these ancillary conditions would abate.

I don't know if he's just being optimistic about problems vaporizing were one to get better or is he in some firm ground here where he's seen very sick people with other fatiguing illnesses both acquire and then dump the ancillary anxiety category stuff when they get better (if).

I wonder about stuff like this.

arx

I've heard many views about Klonopin, from being a 'neuroprotector' to causing permanent damage. I really don't know what to make of it.I know some drugs suit someone while they may not suit others, but in reality, how much damage is being caused by the benzo use and with what dosage is the important thing to know.

There was also a good article on it posted by PR. Here:

The Best Drug for ME/CFS? The Other Side of Klonopin: A Patient’s Story and A Survey

arx

Arx,
I honestly think this is a Klonopin problem. "Benzo withdrawal" encompasses too many different drugs. I haven't heard anybody on this forum say he /she was addicted to Valium or Temazepam. I remember the rapper Eminem said he got addicted to "sleeping pills", but he never specified what that meant. Could have included Ambien and Lunesta.
I think Xanax and Klonopin are the most frequently habituated drugs. That might because they are frequently prescribed to people with anxiety or psyciatric problems.

I think Klonopin is widely used on these forums, but I guess people face issues with Valium and Xanax too. There are so many people asking on those withdrawal forums and calculating the equivalent diazepam dosage of their drug, then they start tapering by switching to that equivalent diazepam dosage and then tapering it carefully. I don't know how effective this is, but I am sure there are people facing issues with Valium(Diazepam) and Xanax(Alprazolam). About these forums, you're right..Klonopin seems to be the most widely used. I also prefer Klonopin to Valium. I get a weird feeling with Valium.

About Eminem, well, I don't know. I've just read John Mayer uses Xanax. A LOT of celebrities use benzos, because that's the source where I first heard the names Xanax and Valium. Go to Wiki if you're interested in such details.

arx
Xanax has become more fashionable, and more and more as a benign lifestyle enhancer. Especially for the rich and famous. Inspite of his reputation as a blues rocker, John Mayer is very Hollywood, so it doesn't surprise me that he takes it. Back in my day, the rockers would all drink whiskey and take 'luuds (nobody knows what I'm talking about).

New York Magazine did an article about the mainstreaming of Xanax:

http://nymag.com/news/features/xanax-2012-3/

arx

arx
Xanax has become more fashionable, and more and more as a benign lifestyle enhancer. Especially for the rich and famous. Inspite of his reputation as a blues rocker, John Mayer is very Hollywood, so it doesn't surprise me that he takes it. Back in my day, the rockers would all drink whiskey and take 'luuds (nobody knows what I'm talking about).

New York Magazine did an article about the mainstreaming of Xanax:

http://nymag.com/news/features/xanax-2012-3/

Yeah.their wide use can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drug-related_deaths

Quaaludes you mean?? Back in the day I've watched a lot of rock music documentaries...:D
That's how I came to know Mayer faces anxiety. The quaaludes were mentioned by Dave Mustaine. I liked their guitar playing very much, so I read a lot about them at one point of time..

Benzos are abused A LOT. I've been reading about valium overdoses and related things in the news since I was a kid..

Yeah.their wide use can be seen here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drug-related_deaths

Quaaludes you mean?? Back in the day I've watched a lot of rock music documentaries...:D
That's how I came to know Mayer faces anxiety. The quaaludes were mentioned by Dave Mustaine. I liked their guitar playing very much, so I read a lot about them at one point of time..

Benzos are abused A LOT. I've been reading about valium overdoses and related things in the news since I was a kid..

Actually I think Qualuuds are still available for prescription in Canada. There are just an ordinary sedative, like Valium. That kinda got a bad rap, since so many songs were written about them. People who I knew who took them said they were actually pretty good. No better or worse than smoking marijuana. But now just a part of rock 'n roll history. How sad.