• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MCADs, post nasal drip and chronic sore throats ?

xchocoholic

So is anyone else thinking this could be why pwcs have chronic post nasal drip and sore throats ? I don't think
I've had an exam since getting cfs where the dr didn't say I had post nasal drip and a red throat.

I've known for a few years now that taking a tsp or less of Children's liq Benadryl or sucking on a Children's
chewable Benadryl soothed my throat for a little while. I read that it actually has numbing properties.

Does this mean we have mast cell activation just in our throats sometimes ? Or is this just a common place
for mast cells to be over active if there's activity elsewhere ?

thanks .. X

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So is anyone else thinking this could be why pwcs have chronic post nasal drip and sore throats ? I don't think
I've had an exam since getting cfs where the dr didn't say I had post nasal drip and a red throat.

I've known for a few years now that taking a tsp or less of Children's liq Benadryl or sucking on a Children's
chewable Benadryl soothed my throat for a little while. I read that it actually has numbing properties.

Does this mean we have mast cell activation just in our throats sometimes ? Or is this just a common place
for mast cells to be over active if there's activity elsewhere ?

thanks .. X

The post nasal drip may also be "infected" from the sinuses and this could be causing the sore throat. This is what seems to happen to me.

Sushi

xchocoholic

The post nasal drip may also be "infected" from the sinuses and this could be causing the sore throat. This is what seems to happen to me.

Sushi

Sorry to hear that you're getting sinus infections. I know how painful those can be. I'm not getting those. Kow.

The reason I thought this could be from mcad is that this area is
continiously running. Which means histamine is being released, right ? Mine responds to liq or chewable benadryl too.

Tc .. X

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Just a tip...I have chronic post nasal drip - yes, but it does not cause sore throats. I do get unending sore throats in winter IF I have to breath dry air. Long time ago an allergist clued me in - he said to put a pan of water in front of the register in my bedroom. Voila! The incessant sore throats went away. (But not the post nasal drip)