• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Meniere's Disease

Red04

Anyone on here cross diagnosed or misdiagnosed with Meniere's Disease?

I have a close friend with vertigo, tinnitus, electric shock sensation, severe allergies, headaches, muscle pain, and he has recently received a Meniere's Disease diagnosis.

I searched around this forum and not much on Meniere's. It isn't much of a disease, more of a syndrome. All of those are b12 symptoms as well. However, he doesn't have the sever fatigue or mental/depression or immune symptoms that seem to be prevalent here. I was wondering if anyone has a similar case. I think he could get some relief with methylation protocols, but he isn't what I would call a textbook case for rich or freddd's protocol. I was going to recommend the methylation panel, but wanted to check on others before I mentioned it.

arx

I think all of us face different symptoms, and you should not think of things being in the 'textbook' category. The list of symptoms which Fred has described is very comprehensive, affecting so many processes. Read here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/page-2#post-182716

I myself had electric shock sensations and tinnitus as a major symptom.Now,after months on Fred's protocol,tinnitus is almost gone. Electric shock sensations have decreased in intensity,but come back again very strongly with certain supplements.I feel varying sensations,ranging from twitching to buzzing to stinging/tingling to electric shock like sensations to pain.
I do face issues with many supplements like adb12 and carnitine.My symptoms intensify ten fold while on them.
But all I want to convey is that B12 might help with the two symptoms I have mentioned.

Has he had a B12 serum test done?

I have a close friend with vertigo, tinnitus, electric shock sensation, severe allergies, headaches, muscle pain, and he has recently received a Meniere's Disease diagnosis.

I searched around this forum and not much on Meniere's. It isn't much of a disease, more of a syndrome. All of those are b12 symptoms as well. However, he doesn't have the sever fatigue or mental/depression or immune symptoms that seem to be prevalent here. I was wondering if anyone has a similar case. I think he could get some relief with methylation protocols, but he isn't what I would call a textbook case for rich or freddd's protocol. I was going to recommend the methylation panel, but wanted to check on others before I mentioned it.

I've had menieres for 50 years - got terrible medical care and finally learned to do my own research, etc. It involves vertigo, hearing loss (later,) aural fullness ,and many peripheral symptoms. Most Drs and online sites say it is a disease without a known cause or much successful treatment and most of what they say is just plain wrong. With research patients realize that it has multiple causes and so various treatments help different people. I only recently realized I also have CFS and see that there are many overlapping symptoms. However, the central feature of menieres is that excess fluid builds up in the inner ear, resulting in vertigo and progressive hearing loss. It does need to be diagnosed tho, because if the symptoms don't resolve on their own, it can become disabling. There are a lot of treatments that can reduce or even stop the symptoms and progression if you study and track down your case. The most helpful source I have found is meniereshelp.com (the site is scrambled, but the info is really good and if you get one of his books, it's clear....he had it and has been gathering info on the various causes and treatments for a long time. A lot of good research is going on.....I never had the spinning vertigo myself, but "drop attacks" and continual disequilibrium. To have it checked out, he should see an Otologist rather than an ENT, who will usually know less. One last tip - 2/3s of menieres folk have allergies and migraines. A Jennifer Derebery MD at the House Ear Clinic is doing the work on menieres and allergies...she found that It takes less of an allergic response to cause the vertigo in menieres, so normal testing does not always find the allergens. That's what happened to me so I tried her method - intradermal testing - and it worked. GOOD LUCK to him - hope he doesn't have it!

Johnmac

I had mild Meniere's (which is in my family) about 20 years ago. I concomitantly had raging ankylosing spondylitis, & this I cured with herbs & by going off grains, especially gluten grains. The Meniere's vanished as well.

As Meniere's is autoimmune, the possible mechanism was via improving leaky gut - of which gluten is a cause.

Countrygirl

I have Meniere's and ME and the latter caused the former. Uncontrolled erratic BP and sudden massive changes in BP, especially when standing caused damage to the vestibular system and resulted in Meniere's disease. The symptoms are very different to me however and personally I don't understand how the two could be confused.

I've had Menieres a long time, and later developed CFS. Menieres is probably caused by a number of different things which mess up the amount of endolymph in the inner ear - either there is too much fluid or it's not draining right. 2/3 s of people with Menieres have allergies and migraines. Western ear docs can diagnose it accurately; but I have met only one who would talk intelligently about it, because they don't know and they won't admit it. They'll tell you all kinds of shit and even do destructive surgeries. There's recent research into the vascular aspect as a cause and I think now that may be it for me, along with a dysfunctional stress response. There's a good site at meniereshelp - a collection of possible causes and treatments by a man who has it, but is asymtomatic now.

There are 4-5 categories that one can fit into.

Accident that injured the neck and or jaw.
TMJ in which case seek out a 3D cone beam x-ray for diagnosis. But by a dentist with specific training in this area.
Viral as in the herpes simplex virus. Usually remedied with acyclovir, or a herbal viral medication.
Malabsorption. This one encompasses leaky gut, Candida and more. Some people grind and clench teeth indicating vitamin mineral deficiencies. This activity grinding teeth is a leading cause of TMJ. Usually zinc and magnesium are the deficiencies to look for. But iron, vitamin B6, vitamin C are others too look at. So get tests such as hair mineral test, an Organics acids test. Pay attention to liver function. Anything that prevents absorption of nutrients. If one suspects gut health there are tests. Then on top of everything else some have adrenal problems adding into the mix. Again another symptom of malabsorption of nutrients the source of most chronic illness. All this assumes one has been already been checked out by a doctor and ENT and they haven't found anything.