• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What methylation supplements to take for maintenance?

RosieBee

I am trying to work out what dose of the methylation supplements (Rich's SMP) my daughter should take as she prepares to start planning for a family?

Both my daughter and I had ME severely 20 years ago. We both made a reasonable recovery; she was able to finish her studies and to go to work. She still has to be careful and organises her activities carefully. Sadly I have taken a prolonged dip and I am trying to get some success with the methylation protocol. Now in her thirties she is planning to start a family and we are concerned about epigenetic possibilities mentioned by Amy Yasko of passing problems on to the baby.

What doses do people take who have restored their glutathione levels and achieved a reasonable level of fitness?

Red04

We recently started a family (3 month old) and my wife has been on methylation protocol for 2 years. My wife can maintain about 95% recovery from all CFS/ME/fibro symptoms with daily dose of 800mcg of methylfolate, a multi B, 3mg of adb12 sublingual, and 5mg jarrow Mb12 (recently switched to 1mg Enzymatic therapy)

If she misses her vitamins for 3-4 days, she starts to decline fast. She hasn't taken any cofactors in probably a year. I am not sure if she ever needed any cofactors though, with the exception of a LOT of potassium early on and through pregnancy. We did the shotgun approach so it was hard to know what was working. If she starts to crash, it can take up to 4800+ mcgs of methylfolate/day to reverse the depression/anxiety/fatigue. I generally encourage her to avoid fortified cereals, vitamin water, multi-vitamins, energy drinks, or anything of that nature. Although not 100% confirmed, folic acid seems to wipe her out based on a few crashes.

I hate to even say this, because I know what it is like to suffer through this disease, but it is difficult for my wife to keep up with taking supplements, EVERY DAY. We get busy, work late at our jobs, or go on a trip, or forget to reorder, or just get lazy and she is doing great and CFS becomes a distant memory and she stops taking them. 45 minutes under the tongue every day is a little annoying too. It has happened 4-5 times over 2 years and it never fails. The symptoms sneak in and are not noticed until the crash is on and it takes 3-5 days to come out of it.

Our baby is 100% healthy with everything so far. But I still get nervous thinking about the genetic component. No one else on any side of her family suffers from anything similar. They are a strong, hearty people.

RosieBee

We recently started a family (3 month old) and my wife has been on methylation protocol for 2 years. My wife can maintain about 95% recovery from all CFS/ME/fibro symptoms with daily dose of 800mcg of methylfolate, a multi B, 3mg of adb12 sublingual, and 5mg jarrow Mb12 (recently switched to 1mg Enzymatic therapy)

If she misses her vitamins for 3-4 days, she starts to decline fast. She hasn't taken any cofactors in probably a year. I am not sure if she ever needed any cofactors though, with the exception of a LOT of potassium early on and through pregnancy. We did the shotgun approach so it was hard to know what was working. If she starts to crash, it can take up to 4800+ mcgs of methylfolate/day to reverse the depression/anxiety/fatigue. I generally encourage her to avoid fortified cereals, vitamin water, multi-vitamins, energy drinks, or anything of that nature. Although not 100% confirmed, folic acid seems to wipe her out based on a few crashes.

I hate to even say this, because I know what it is like to suffer through this disease, but it is difficult for my wife to keep up with taking supplements, EVERY DAY. We get busy, work late at our jobs, or go on a trip, or forget to reorder, or just get lazy and she is doing great and CFS becomes a distant memory and she stops taking them. 45 minutes under the tongue every day is a little annoying too. It has happened 4-5 times over 2 years and it never fails. The symptoms sneak in and are not noticed until the crash is on and it takes 3-5 days to come out of it.

Our baby is 100% healthy with everything so far. But I still get nervous thinking about the genetic component. No one else on any side of her family suffers from anything similar. They are a strong, hearty people.
--------
That is really helpful information. Particularly about avoiding hidden folic acid; A problem with the general information given out about taking folic acid to prevent neural tube defects. I presume that is why your wife avoids multivitamins, because of the folic acid content. That is a lot of methyl folate to reverse a crash - I am still working on getting the methylation protocol to work for me, so I am not familiar with dealing with crashes yet. I am sure it is different for each person. Potassium is also something I am not familiar with yet (although I have read plenty about it here) - I still worry about the problems of raising potassium too high. Many thanks for a very helpful reply.