• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

raw cannibis as anti-oxidant, anti-inflamatory, anti-cancer

Jarod

Wow. I can't smoke this stuff, but sure would like to try juicing it after watching this video.

Impressive interview of young girl diagnosed with lupus @4:00 minutes. She claims cannibis raw juiced relieves all of her infections!

also includes an interview with a UCSF researcher on cannibis.

[video=youtube;qgEP9FdIzT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qgEP9FdIzT8#![/video]

patent:

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH3, and COCH3. ##STR1##

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507.html

Jarod

Wow, this seems like something that could be tried without much difficulty.

While 10,000 year old cultural practices involve drying then heating cannabis to effect a nearly complete decarboxylation of THC-Acid into THC. The creation of massive amounts of THC is compounded by the introduction of a psychoactive side effect that has a 10 mg dose limitation secondary to CB1 receptor stimulation. Research conducted in Bethesda Maryland led to Patent 6,630,507 held by the United States of America since 2003 that teaches that the lack of psycho-activity in CBD allows doses that are 100-200 times greater than the tolerable dose of THC. The articulated Effective oral human dosage schedule is 20 mg / kg body weight requires a considerable amount of cannabis. The simplest approach is to consume the trichrome laden fully mature flower along with the 80-day leaf. Patient responses have exceeded any expectations.

Historically, dietary use of the entire raw cannabis plant brings us back in line with 34 million years of cannabis evolution. Lipid messenger molecules preceded cannabis by billions of years. The 4 billion year old development of lipid messenger molecules not only regulated resource management in the most primitive life forms, but were central in the earliest autocrine and paracrine modulation of cellular function. I believe autocrine cross talk was the necessary precedent to symbiotic, then multi-cellular life forms. Tissue specific or paracrine cluster regulation is the domain of the lipid messenger molecules and is the path to comprehending the incredible diversity of function that are only now beginning to be understood. While our perception / publication of these physiologic properties are new, the phenomenal beneficial affects were there yesterday, last year, if not hundreds of millions to billions of years ago.

I seek to consolidate the science regarding the essential nature of the phyto- cannabinoid contributions to health maintenance and restoration. That akin to Essential Fatty Acids and Essential Amino Acids, there needs to be Minimum Daily Requirements established to guide worldwide adoption of raw cannabis as the single most important dietary element.

Kristen Peskuski is a patient and researcher, who has used fresh cannabis leaf to put her Systemic Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis and numerous other conditions into a sustained remission.

http://www.cannabisinternational.org/about.php

More great links!

http://www.cannabisinternational.org/articles.php

mellster

Marco
Jarod, if one is fairly tolerable to cannabinoids, they are likely the most effective, natural painkiller with the least side effects on this planet. Why do you think it's still mostly illegal? Here in CA it is legal and the best 3 pain-free days since onset of my FM/CFS were when I accidentally overdosed a bit the night before. I had absolutely zero pain and no side effects whatsoever (after the night was over) for the next 3 days and thought for a moment I had gotten rid of "it".

Jarod

Hey Mellster,

That's interesting, but be difficult taking that much on a regular basis you think? Have you tried that again to see if you can repeat it?

I used to smoke cannibis. Looking back, I had some benefit from it and some harm. It might have calmed down the excitoxcity a bit, but also some things about it that made me worse.

What do you think of this juicing idea? Seems like it would take too much plant to me.....

The Dr mentioned people grow the plants and juice one each day. That seems ok once one is set up for it. I would need a garage I think. Don't think a grow room would work to well in the spare bedroom of an apartment. Might smell too much.

Can you think of any way to get just the CBD in the dispensaries? I think everything in the store has been heated for the psychoactive affects?

I've kind of run out of other options at this point. Seems like it would be worth a shot.

Moving up to the golden triangle might be in my future. :Green hat:

One of my personal favourite presentations from the NIH State of the Knowledge Workshop on ME/CFS Research (because it described neuropathic pain in a way that I found really moving) - Dr James Baraniuk on Neuroimmunology of CFS - starts at 411m here:

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=10098

Note the mention of Endocannabinoids at 442m.

What do you think of this juicing idea? Seems like it would take too much plant to me.....

I would love to try the juice, but no way I'm going to grow a bunch of plants. I think you would not get enough juice from each plant, would you? I want to know more too. Any other way to get the benefits?

How long do the benefits last? If one could just have a 1 week or 1 month supply of juice and see real gains, that don't go away, that would be amazing!

I use organic hemp protein which the company claims has all the nutrients the seeds have. I think it helps a little. It is gross tasting unless mixed with juice (acidic) and until you get used to it. I'm sure it's not nearly as good as fresh juice.

Jarod

I would love to try the juice, but no way I'm going to grow a bunch of plants. I think you would not get enough juice from each plant, would you? I want to know more too. Any other way to get the benefits?

How long do the benefits last? If one could just have a 1 week or 1 month supply of juice and see real gains, that don't go away, that would be amazing!

I use organic hemp protein which the company claims has all the nutrients the seeds have. I think it helps a little. It is gross tasting unless mixed with juice (acidic) and until you get used to it. I'm sure it's not nearly as good as fresh juice.

All things I would like to know also! Be good to see more videos of people in remission. I did find one other youtube video where a guy talks about being healthier after doing it. You can also see the gal when she was sick also. Big change for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0nLdVJiIg

As far as benefits go, the girl mentioned she was in "remission" after 6 weeks from lupus, Internal Cystitis, and a whole mess of things. Sounds to to good to be true, but got to have hope.

Somebody posted this audio on "adaptive stress response". I wonder if that is how juicing may work?

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?16804-Antioxidants-lecture

I want to find out more. Need to find out how much space and effort it takes.

In those links in the first couple posts of this thread, there is a list of places training how to grow cannibis.

There is also a bunch of youtube videos showing how to make an indoor grow room. They mostly use basements and garages with concrete floors. I think one could grow one plant in a bedroom, but to grow 30 plants for juicing, one needs space.

I'm thinking if one had a one car garage, basement, or shed they could set this up without too much money. However, the beauty of it is being self sufficient.

I know the area where they are living. The whole economy runs on pot up there mendicino, and lake county. I think marijuana is California's number one or number two cash crop and most of it is grown up in those counties.

From Willits California up north is all pot country. Wild west.

Jarod

Still trying to figure this out. I have no idea what it all means, but sounds positive to me.

http://cannabination.com/tag/cannabidiol/

Dr.McAllister shared his results of his recently published study on CBD and breast cancer. This is not the first paper on the anti-cancer activity of CBD, the McAllister lab also published other articles on cannabinoids and cancer: CBD and Breast Cancer and THC&CBD kill brain cancer cells. The current study is an in depth look at how CBD kills breast cancer cells in an animal model. Specifically, CBD affects a protein called ID-1. ID-1 appears to be a major conductor of cancer cells and thus is an excellent target for a cancer treatment.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0028159

Cannabidiol (CBD) is an interesting compound because of its ability to control reactive gliosis in the CNS, without any unwanted psychotropic effects. Therefore the rationale of our study was to investigate the effect of CBD on intestinal biopsies from patients with ulcerative colitis (UC) and from intestinal segments of mice with LPS-induced intestinal inflammation.

http://www.nature.com/cddis/journal/v2/n6/full/cddis201152a.html

The major cellular event in the development and progression of liver fibrosis is the activation of hepatic stellate cells (HSCs). Activated HSCs proliferate and produce excess collagen, leading to accumulation of scar matrix and fibrotic liver. As such, the induction of activated HSC death has been proposed as a means to achieve resolution of liver fibrosis. Here we demonstrate that cannabidiol (CBD), a major non-psychoactive component of the plant Cannabis sativa, induces apoptosis in activated HSCs through a cannabinoid receptor-independent mechanism.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/t3r21g95hl4313m5/

Inflammatory bowel disease affects millions of individuals; nevertheless, pharmacological treatment is disappointingly unsatisfactory. Cannabidiol, a safe and non-psychotropic ingredient of marijuana, exerts pharmacological effects (e.g., antioxidant) and mechanisms (e.g., inhibition of endocannabinoids enzymatic degradation) potentially beneficial for the inflamed gut. Thus, we investigated the effect of cannabidiol in a murine model of colitis. Colitis was induced in mice by intracolonic administration of dinitrobenzene sulfonic acid. Inflammation was assessed both macroscopically and histologically. In the inflamed colon, cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) were evaluated by Western blot, interleukin-1? and interleukin-10 by ELISA, and endocannabinoids by isotope dilution liquid chromatographymass spectrometry. Human colon adenocarcinoma (Caco-2) cells were used to evaluate the effect of cannabidiol on oxidative stress. Cannabidiol reduced colon injury, inducible iNOS (but not cyclooxygenase-2) expression, and interleukin-1?, interleukin-10, and endocannabinoid changes associated with 2,4,6-dinitrobenzene sulfonic acid administration. In Caco-2 cells, cannabidiol reduced reactive oxygen species production and lipid peroxidation. In conclusion, cannabidiol, a likely safe compound, prevents experimental colitis in mice.

I believe in this. We (or I am) need to think out of the box in order to feel better. THis is the time. I tried cannabis oil for 3 weeks but in California they seem to have more sorts and different advanced methodes.

Thanks for the post.

GhostGum

There is also a bunch of youtube videos showing how to make an indoor grow room. They mostly use basements and garages with concrete floors. I think one could grow one plant in a bedroom, but to grow 30 plants for juicing, one needs space.

I believe in this. We (or I am) need to think out of the box in order to feel better. THis is the time. I tried cannabis oil for 3 weeks but in California they seem to have more sorts and different advanced methodes.

Thanks for the post.

I just posted this in an other thread but thought this is worth bumping here as well and pointing out,

People need to be aware that this oil is the way to go over all else and you do not need anywhere near the kind of amount you would for regular juicing; is basically a similar principle but drawing much more of the active compounds out into a condensed easily usable form.

Rand56

I wonder if a liquid extract would be as effective. If so, sure would be more convenient than having to juice a bunch of the raw plant. Google....."Sativex"

Jarod

About time.... Anybody know when it is going to be available for prescription or purchase?

New Medical Marijuana Won’t Get Users Stoned

After cross-breeding different types of marijuana plants, scientists at Tikun Olam have developed pot that has been stripped of the psychoactive chemical THC. In its place, a high concentration of cannabidiol, an anti-inflammatory, was introduced to the plant. Instead of getting users stoned, this medical marijuana allows folks to go about their daily business without the side effects.

“We have accumulated experience in treatment of some 2,000 patients with varying symptoms; some with pain, others with constipation, dizziness or nausea,” Tikun Olam head Mor Cohen explained. “We know how to provide a solution, whether it’s for Parkinson’s disease, for cancer, to increase appetite, problems of insomnia related to post-traumatic stress disorder … for each and every illness.”
Medical marijuana has been used in Israel since the 1990s to treat such illnesses as cancer, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Tourette’s syndrome, and post-traumatic stress disorder. According to The Detroit News, the country’s Health Ministry is considering distributing the plants through pharmacies at some point next year.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/387154/new-medical-marijuana-wont-get-users-stoned/#ZKIAzRr6CkV6AzcI.99

GhostGum

I wonder if a liquid extract would be as effective. If so, sure would be more convenient than having to juice a bunch of the raw plant. Google....."Sativex"

About time.... Anybody know when it is going to be available for prescription or purchase?

New Medical Marijuana Won’t Get Users Stoned

The only issue with these pharma formulas is apparently they can be quite inferior, so I have read anyway. Really the Israeli's developing the no THC stuff is to appease politics to some extent as well, but it does give great legitimacy to the science and tells the naysayers to go stick it; but yes some people also have low tolerance to THC. Of course if a prescription is your only option there would be harm in trying it. Jarod you could always go to Israel, but who knows when it could be on prescription/available in other countries. If you have medical MJ available, if you did a lot of digging and asking dispensaries its likely you could eventually come across very low THC and high cannabinoid products; even though so much of the industry is still focused on recreational types of cannabis, they are slowly introducing more cannabinoid products, which is what they should be doing.

If you look at the Rick Simpson stuff as well and some research you likely want some THC in an extract because of its medical benefits, as stated in the clip as well an oil will likely not get you stoned or high anyway, unless it has excessive THC amounts probably. One of the great ironies of cannabis is that cannabinoids are anti-psychotic/anti-psychoactive so even if you have some moderate amount of THC in an extract it will be countered by cannabinoids, as goes for smoking or using many types of cannabis which have balanced profiles, over those selected for high THC content that can blow your head off. Making an oil, having some knowledge of the genetics/THC/cannabinoid content before hand is very helpful.

Jarod

If you have medical MJ available, if you did a lot of digging and asking dispensaries its likely you could eventually come across very low THC and high cannabinoid products; even though so much of the industry is still focused on recreational types of cannabis, they are slowly introducing more cannabinoid products, which is what they should be doing.

If you look at the Rick Simpson stuff as well and some research you likely want some THC in an extract because of its medical benefits, as stated in the clip as well an oil will likely not get you stoned or high anyway, unless it has excessive THC amounts probably.

Heya.

I'm in California and we are lucky to have legalized Marijuana for medical purposes. I have some other treatment options left at the moment through hearbs and supplements. However, I wouldn't hesitate trying hemp oil with the right rype of location for growing. One has to worry about getting burgularized if they don't have a safe place to grow that.

I like this becuase it doesn't cost too much.

That first video mentioned one can grow 30 plants for personal use legally. The so the idea is to juice one and plant one daily.

Or the other option like you posted suggests, grow a pound, then make oil.

Wonder how long the oil keeps? What about growing a few huge plants in a closet/garage/bedroom with "grow lights" then making oil? Then one can get a pound to make oil and grow a few more plants. Those lights grow pot fast, so maybe that would take less space then having 30 plants at once for juicing?

We actually have a place called "Oaksterdam" in Oakland California if anybody is serious enough about trying it. Probably enough information on the web though if one is healthy enough to study.
"Quality Training for the Cannabis Industry"

"America's first cannibis college"

maddietod

I've wanted to try some form of hemp for sleep issues forever. But it's not legal here in Maryland, and I'd rather not smoke it anyway.

I wonder if good quality hemp oil will come available in Colorado or Washington soon, now that recreational use is legal?

GhostGum

Wonder how long the oil keeps?

I think the beauty of the oil is how compact it is and can be stored so easily, how you do that though I am not sure, whether you can fridge or freeze it. Guessing it could last years though, from a one off oil run you could potentially produce enough to last you a long time.

I've wanted to try some form of hemp for sleep issues forever. But it's not legal here in Maryland, and I'd rather not smoke it anyway.

I wonder if good quality hemp oil will come available in Colorado or Washington soon, now that recreational use is legal?

Not sure the win in these states is going to change the face of medical MJ much? Going to be the same old Feds vs the states unless Obama backs off, which he has not done for medical MJ, even though he said he would. Think the best bet would be to start talking to a lot of dispensaries and maybe medical co-ops about oil, you might even find a group of Fibro patients, seeing if you have any options over the border; legalisation may open up a lot of options to getting material to make your own oil.

I think the beauty of the oil is how compact it is and can be stored so easily, how you do that though I am not sure, whether you can fridge or freeze it. Guessing it could last years though, from a one off oil run you could potentially produce enough to last you a long time.

The video said 1 pound of dried only makes a 3 month supply of oil for 1 person.

GhostGum

The video said 1 pound of dried only makes a 3 month supply of oil for 1 person.

Well what I was suggesting was you could do one all out run for a long term supply, rather than having to mess around with going through the processes regularly, especially if you could 'do it' outdoors; but we are probably getting into territory now that is more suitable for other forums.