• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Epstein-Barr virus reactivation after superinfection of the BJAB-B1

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Abstract
Background:
Studies examining herpesvirus-herpesvirus (cytomegalovirus (CMV)-Epstein-Barr
virus (EBV)) interactions are limited, and many of the studies have been clinical observations
suggesting such an interaction exists. This report aims to examine the

in vitro susceptibilities of
BJAB-B1 and P3HR-1 cells (EBV positive Burkitt's lymphoma B-cell lines) to a CMV superinfection;
and show that EBV reactivation occurs after CMV superinfects these cell lines.
Results:
The BJAB-B1 and P3HR-1 cells were observed to be susceptible to a CMV superinfection
by the detection of the major immediate early (MIE) viral transcript and protein (p52) expression.
The BZLF1 transcript was observed in both cell lines superinfected with CMV, indicating EBV
reactivation. BZLF1 protein was observed in the BJAB-B1 cells. Antigen detection was not
performed in the P3HR-1 cells.
Conclusion:
The results from the in vitro superinfections support the in vivo studies suggesting a
CMV infection is related to an EBV reactivation and suggests that CMV may be important as a cofactor
in EBV pathogenesis in the immunocompromised patient.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2180-2-20.pdf

Mark

Quick tip: if you ever get annoying formatting (like tiny text) that you want to correct, select the whole post and click the icon at top left of the edit box - "Remove formatting" - that will set all the text to the default and then you can reapply any formatting you want. Or of course you can just "remove formatting" on the sections you want to fix.

AFCFS

I had posted the link to The Treatment Center for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) (A. Martin Lerner, M.D., M.A.C.P) under another thread, but may want to look at it. He focuses mostly on EBV and CMV, although do not recall mention of BJAB-B1. Aside from info/research on the site, he also has articles on PubMed. Don't know him and not recommending him, but his research seems pretty interesting and accessible - also has two videos on the site (rather long and in depth from my perspective, but worthwhile to watch).

One thing that seems it should be simple to find, but I have not, is how/if EBV reactivation would change the tests that check for EBV. Lab Tests Online explains the Epstein-Barr Virus Antibodies and shows:

VCA-IgM (Appears first, gone in 4-6 weeks)
VCA-IgG (it appears within a week of infection, then present for life)
EBNA-IgG (Becomes positive in 2 – 4 months, then present for life)
EA-D IgG (Positive in about a week, usually gone in 2 weeks, persists in 20% of people)

So, just wondering how/if the test would change with reactivation - e.g. would VCA-IgG and EBNA-IgG show positive again? It gets a little confusing as I believe one of the videos on The Treatment Center for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) states something to the effect that EBV may be acting in a "sub-clinical" process.