• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inflammation - what?

snowathlete

I hear about inflammation all the time with regard to ME, but I've never understood it.
How do I know if I have it? And how much?

I hear about inflammation all the time with regard to ME, but I've never understood it.
How do I know if I have it? And how much?

An ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) lab would show general inflammation, as does CRP (C-reactive protein). But you'd also likely feel or see it. For example I get a headache if I stop taking fish oil, an anti-inflammatory. I also get swelling all over my whole body, which is fairly visible but also manifests as my back locking up because everything is too swollen. Some people get swollen ankles as well, from poor circulation and blood pooling.

snowathlete

I had some blood tests a while back and one i was told showed elevated for inflamation - SGPT (alt). Is this a relevant test for ME inflamation.
My CRP was <5 apparently.

taniaaust1

My ESR is only just on the border of normal at times (another number over it would be out of normal range and high). ESR shows inflammation. Ive noticed that when my body is needing less D, that my ESR is lower. (my D need increases eg I get more deficient in it, the higher my ESR goes).

I think I can also tell a bit when I have more inflammation happening in my body eg I had knuckles slightly swelling at some point with the moving about the body ME pain some gets.

Nielk

Does this swelling of the body due to inflammation have anything to do with fluid retention?

I have been so swollen now for the past 6 months. A doctor gave me diuretics a week ago and I have had no
improvement on it at all! I have gained 15 lbs.

I have been on a wheat free, dairy free, low sugar. I watch my sodium intake. I take fish oil, oregano oil, digestive enzymes and pro-biotics.

I am at a loss as to what else to do.

Shell

Nielk - that's interesting because I have the same thing. I swell up like I'm carrying a swimming pool around and then have sudden "fluid dumps" where...well you get the idea.

I have put it down to the amount of steroids I've been pumped with over the years. And to being a woman. But I assuming neither of those apply to you:D

I had it and I'm sure it's part of the nausea when I stand up.

AFCFS

Does this swelling of the body due to inflammation have anything to do with fluid retention?

I have been so swollen now for the past 6 months. A doctor gave me diuretics a week ago and I have had no
improvement on it at all! I have gained 15 lbs.

I have been on a wheat free, dairy free, low sugar. I watch my sodium intake. I take fish oil, oregano oil, digestive enzymes and pro-biotics.

I am at a loss as to what else to do.

I think that gets into the realm of bloating, which among other things think can be caused by inflammatory issues. I had been eating non-fat plain yogurt for its pro-biotic benefit and feel it may have caused me to blow up like a balloon. I had this for some time - with a distended abdomen that was just tight as a drum. I eventually just paired down my food intake to home-made vegetable soups and soup broth, without salt. Eventually the bloating decreased, also noting a steady release of water retention.

Is There a Link Between Bloating and Probiotics? goes more in depth, but says:

Short-Term Side Effects
In the short-term, adding probiotics to your diet can cause gas, flatulence, belching and bloating. If you have irritable bowel syndrome, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or fructose malabsorption, adding probiotics to your diet is likely to worsen your bloating. These bacteria can feed on some of your unabsorbed foods, producing gas in your intestines that is responsible for your bloating. Start with very small doses of probiotics and gradually increase the amount you take, as suggested by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, nutritionist and author of "Gut and Psychology Syndrome." Start with 1 tsp. of raw sauerkraut or 1 capsule of probiotic a day for the first week and add one more the following week to prevent excessive bloating and side effects.

Long-Term Benefits
Although probiotics may result in some bloating in the short-term, they will help restore the balance in your gut flora in the long-term. If you have a healthy gut flora, you should not experience bloating, especially if you combine your probiotics with a healthy diet. To prevent bloating, always keep a source of probiotics in your diet, either from supplements or fermented foods, to maintain a healthy gut flora and prevent bad bacteria and yeast from overgrowing in your intestines and causing bloating.

Nielk

Nielk - that's interesting because I have the same thing. I swell up like I'm carrying a swimming pool around and then have sudden "fluid dumps" where...well you get the idea.

I have put it down to the amount of steroids I've been pumped with over the years. And to being a woman. But I assuming neither of those apply to you:D

I had it and I'm sure it's part of the nausea when I stand up.

Hi Shell,

You gave me such a good laugh!
I too have been on steroids long term in the past. From age 15 to 30, I was on constant steroid due to Crohn's.
do you think there is a connection there?

Nielk

Thanks AFCFS for the information regarding short term effects of probiotics use. I didn't know that this could cause possible bloating.

Shell

Hi Shell,

You gave me such a good laugh!
I too have been on steroids long term in the past. From age 15 to 30, I was on constant steroid due to Crohn's.
do you think there is a connection there?
Hi Nielk, yes I think so. There's definately a link with steroids and moon face and rolls of fat in weird places - just under the ribs and back of the neck for example. From what I was told as a kid they are great at helping us slosh about like swimming pools as well. I have a moon face - sometimes it's worse than at other times. Yep, I really am that attractive. LOL