• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blockade of histamine H2 receptors attenuate blood-brain barrier permeability, cerebral blood flow..

nanonug

Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2000;76:535-9.
Blockade of histamine H2 receptors attenuate blood-brain barrier permeability, cerebral blood flow disturbances, edema formation and cell reactions following hyperthermic brain injury in the rat.

Patnaik R, Mohanty S, Sharma HS.
Source

Laboratory of Neuroanatomy, Department of Medical Cell Biology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
Abstract

Role of histamine H2 receptors in blood-brain barrier (BBB) disturbances, cerebral blood flow (CBF), brain edema formation, and cell injury caused by heat stress in a rat model was examined using the pharmacological approach. Blockade of histamine H2 receptors by cimetidine or ranitidine significantly attenuated the BBB permeability to Evans blue albumin and [131]I-sodium extravasation, brain edema formation and cell injury following 4 h heat stress in rats at 38 degrees C. These drug treatments also restored the CBF to near normal values. These beneficial effects in heat stress were most marked in rats treated with ranitidine compared to cimetidine given in identical dosage. Our observations suggest that blockade of histamine H2 receptor is beneficial in hyperthermic brain injury and indicates that histamine is involved in the pathophysiology of heat stress induced brain dysfunction. Our study strongly suggests further need to develop more specific and sensitive histaminergic H2 receptor blockers for the treatment of neurological ailments.
PMID: 11450085

nanonug

Do you use Zantac?

No, I use Pepcid AC (famotidine). Zantac (ranitidine) is a week inhibitor of cytochrome P450, a problem Pepcid AC doesn't have. I take so much crap that I don't want the chance of inhibiting important enzyme systems.

And what about blocking acid--I need to supplement HCL?

I am actually forced to take Nexium because of my damn gastritis! So, no betaine HCL for me...

mellster

Marco
Nano, as you may know I am recovered, but since you mentioned your gastritis it reminded me how it all started. After the trigger infection which lasted 4-6 weeks it left me with chronic recurring gastritis which turned into daily stomach cramps (for more than 6 months and causing progression into CFS) eventually. I also got IBS dx but it always felt closer to gastritis. All I can say is that it started improving when I aggressively supplemented with methylcobalamin (and later the MAF314), but I cannot say for sure since I have been taken many supplements. Fixing the gut was key, as soon as that started to happen, absorbtion and energy increased and a positive feedback loop started. Interestingly the gastroscopy showed just mild inflammation. I also tried Pentasa and pepto-bismol for a while which I found to work fairly well but were only band-aids for fixing the problem at the root. H2 blockers (famotidine) worked to some degree as well, but I felt that the B12 has the biggest initial and also longest lasting impact (serum levels had doubled during the improvement). I have tried betaine HCL and found it to work better than acid reducers which actually had the worst effect on me (I developed candida). Again, your case might likely be different, just be careful with the acid reducers, I am very skeptical at their ability to help with gastritis - maybe check out Pentasa. cheers