• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effective MS drug that wipes out white blood cells

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Maybe someone has posted this already?
It's about MS but sounds similar to Rituximab in its approach and sounds like its effective.
New MS drug is 'most effective' **
A new drug is the "most effective" treatment for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, say UK researchers.
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20151891 >

What a load of crap everyone knows MS is psychosomatic and a good exercise routine would fix them.
Oh! sory i thought it said ME, although MS sufferers were treated like ME of today 30-40 yrs ago.

I hope everyone can see my sarcasim in the 2 sentences i types above, lol. Good to see these illness getting good treatments. I think this shows there is alot more to these illnesses then they realise, a big infection/immune component.

thanks Snow,
cheers!!

GcMAF Australia

Dr Coventry at Adelaide University is looking at the concept that chemo for cancer works by killing the memory cells of the immune system, and not the cancer cells themselves. Then after this "WAKE UP CALL" the immune system gets back to work and can kill the cancer cells.
He is currently visiting the Mayo Centre to establish collaboration.
This amy well apply to CFS, MS CFS Parkinson's etc.

As Mr Heaps Real says
Heapso Facto which translates as thus it true

GcMAF Australia

Dr Coventry at Adelaide University is looking at the concept that chemo for cancer works by killing the memory cells of the immune system, and not the cancer cells themselves. Then after this "WAKE UP CALL" the immune system gets back to work and can kill the cancer cells.
He is currently visiting the Mayo Centre to establish collaboration.
This amy well apply to CFS, MS CFS Parkinson's etc.

As Mr Heaps Real says
Heapso Facto which translates as = thus it is true

Waverunner

There is another recent study about how brain damage could be repaired in MS.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121031151611.htm
Potential Way to Repair Brain Damage in Multiple Sclerosis

ScienceDaily (Oct. 31, 2012) ...
Sherman's lab has been studying MS and other conditions where myelin is damaged for more than 14 years. In 2005, he and his research team discovered that a sugar molecule, called hyaluronic acid, accumulates in areas of damage in the brains of humans and animals with demyelinating brain and spinal cord lesions. Their findings at the time, published in Nature Medicine, suggested that hyaluronic acid itself prevented remyelination by preventing cells that form myelin from differentiating in areas of brain damage.
The new study shows that the hyaluronic acid itself does not prevent the differentiation of myelin-forming cells. Rather, breakdown products generated by a specific enzyme that chews up hyaluronic acid -- called a hyaluronidase -- contribute to the remyelination failure.
This enzyme is highly elevated in MS patient brain lesions and in the nervous systems of animals with an MS-like disease. The research team, which included OHSU pediatric neurologist Stephen Back, M.D., and OHSU neuroscientist Steve Matsumoto, Ph.D., found that by blocking hyaluronidase activity, they could promote myelin-forming cell differentiation and remyelination in the mice with the MS-like disease. Most significantly, the drug that blocked hyaluronidase activity led to improved nerve cell function.
The next step is to develop drugs that specifically target this enzyme. "The drugs we used in this study could not be used to treat patients because of the serious side effects they might cause," said Sherman. "If we can block the specific enzyme that is contributing to remyelination failure in the nervous system, it would likely cause few, if any, side effects."

all these monoclonal antibody drugs (the drugs that end in the suffix "mab," rituximab among them) seem so promising, and yet you hear about only a little rituximab research for ME (and some of that still lacks funding) and absolutely no testing with other monoclonal antibodies for ME. It's bull. These medicines exist right now, we're suffering and too weak and too poorly funded to get the reseachers and the companies and the doctors to do these trials. someone needs to help us. someone really needs to help.

Sparrow

I'm really excited by all of the progress in this area. I truly think that research into MS, Lupus, etc. will likely be one of the biggest keys in eventually healing ME.

I know that it would be much better to have our own dedicated research (obviously), but if they're not ready for us then I hope they give every resource to them. And when our turn comes, some of the general ground work will already be done.

Sparrow,
Well said. I think it is a false hope that we will get a huge sum dedicated to ME/CFS research. And even if we did, we would be starting from scratch vis-a-vis starting paradigms, whose idea, which researcher. Any potential treatments for us will be on the back of another illness's successful breakthroughs.

Old Salt

Rowing the boat
Of course, if it's the other way around, we won't complain! The president did acknowledge the issue and said it will be addressed. No one else has done that.
Big Pharma has the most to lose in the long run. They try hard, not to lose.