• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Similarities between ME/CFS patients and astronauts

Emootje

In this review David Williams provide an overview of the many complex physiologic changes that take place in short- and long-duration space flight, most often in response to microgravity. It is remarkable that some of the described physiologic chances also occur in ME/CFS patients. Both have low blood volume, impaired cellular immunity, reactivation of herpes viruses, orthostatic intolerance and increased circulating levels of catecholamines.

astronauts.JPG
treatment.JPG

Excellent observation, Emootje.

The only thing possibly causing this in astronauts is an impairment or malfunction somewhere in the HPA axis. Probably due to the lack of a diurnal cycle, weightlessness, possibly variations in oxygen.

Which raises the point: is ME/CFS basically an impairment very deep in our HPA axis? Probably genetically based. In which case looking for viruses and pathogens is a waste of time. The enemy is our own bodies.

Emootje

The only thing possibly causing this in astronauts is an impairment or malfunction somewhere in the HPA axis. Probably due to the lack of a diurnal cycle, weightlessness, possibly variations in oxygen.

Which raises the point: is ME/CFS basically an impairment very deep in our HPA axis? Probably genetically based. In which case looking for viruses and pathogens is a waste of time. The enemy is our own bodies.

Good point!
You could conclude that the viruses are secondary due to an impairment in cellular immunity. Besides HPA axis abnormalities, an increase in sympathetic tone (due to low blood volume?) can cause this reduction in cellular immunity:

symp nk cells.JPG

AFCFS

Using the rather colloquialized version of Occam's Razor, in essence suggesting "other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one," I think in years to come they will find the real culprit to be Tang.

- I was skeptical of this stuff even as a kid :)

Hmm, why do I get such a nasty CFS crash when I fly more than one time zone, against the direction of the sun? Why do I get sick when the length of days change in the Fall? Or when the barimetric pressure changes suddenly? We are dealing with a complicated illness here. I definitely don't have a future in space travel. Maybe I can live near the center of the earth.

Using the rather colloquialized version of Occam's Razor, in essence suggesting "other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one," I think in years to come they will find the real culprit to be Tang.

I think you're on to something ... I was abused by Tang as a child, and I'm certain that caused my ME :p

Hip

If these effects are due to zero gravity, then I wonder what would happen if you lived under increased gravity? Would that have an opposite, health boosting effect? Could we cure ME/CFS by centrifuging ourselves for a few weeks at 2g? Just kidding, of course.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If these effects are due to zero gravity, then I wonder what would happen if you lived under increased gravity? Would that have an opposite, health boosting effect? Could we cure ME/CFS by centrifuging ourselves for a few weeks at 2g? Just kidding, of course.

That sounds like one of the more promising protocols! ;)

Sushi

taniaaust1

That thou doesnt explain the large ME outbreaks.

Emootje

On earth they study microgravity-induced hypovolemia by head down tilt (HDT):
Clinical aspects of the control of plasma volume at microgravity and during return to one gravity.

HDT.JPG

They also link this hypovolemia with orthostatic intolerance and reduced V02max:
"A pronounced 10-20% reduction in plasma volume is induced within 24-48 h of exposure to microgravity. The clinical importance of microgravity-induced hypovolemia is manifested by the relationships between the magnitude of plasma volume reductions and orthostatic intolerance and reduced V02max after return to one gravity"

Good point!
You could conclude that the viruses are secondary due to an impairment in cellular immunity. Besides HPA axis abnormalities, an increase in sympathetic tone (due to low blood volume?) can cause this reduction in cellular immunity:...........

Unfortunately, I've concluded long ago that the virus reactivation is a side reaction to something much deeper. And your explanation about the hypovolemia works for me. Are we the chosen few? I can't think of any other reason other than genetic susceptibility. I have postulated that it's just structural weakness in the body's barriers and boundaries. Our guts are permeable, our blood brain barrier is permeable, our organs are permeable causing multiple ailments, illnesses. Or maybe not...

The folks who experienced the Chronic Fatigue epidemic at Incline Village were all living at altitude. That's near Tahoe, Reno. Maybe they were just a vulnerable population. The other famous involved nurses, didn't it? Nurses getting sick from something at a hospital/clinic is not outside the range of impossible.

Enid

Wow can I be an astronaut - floating in space will be very comfortable.