• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chromium Picolinate anyone?

AFCFS

Has anyone tried Chromium Picolinate for its touted benefits of lowered blood sugar, and ability to lower carbohydrate cravings? If so, what dose? I gained a quick 20-30 lbs in about two months after I first was incapacitated by the CFS symptoms. I still will have carb cravings if I do not stick on a strictly low-carb diet (even then sometimes I will fold), so wondering if this has any anecdotal merit.

On the flip side, it seems to have some potential for negative effects (can Google Chromium Picolinate toxicity, Chromium Picolinate dangers, etc.) so it makes me wonder if it is worth the bother. In addition, have read New medications which decrease levothyroxine absorption. So, seems prudent to separate it from Synthroid use by a couple hours, as noted in the linked abstract.

I would like to bring the issue up with my doc but first thought would look to see if anyone here had any benefit or ill consequence from using it.

alex3619

I have tried it, long ago. It works, though its not a miracle. My energy levels actually rose slightly (I presume due to improved blood sugar control) and I started losing weight where before I was gaining it. It is one of the substances in my 1998 shotgun protocol which I have discussed elsewhere.

Chromium picolinate is probably not worth it in healthy young people due to potential risks. In older or sick people (if the illness might be responsive to chromium) I think it might be worth it. If you are over 40 and have ME, I think the chances are good that it will be more beneficial than harmful.

Bye, Alex

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone tried Chromium Picolinate for its touted benefits of lowered blood sugar, and ability to lower carbohydrate cravings? If so, what dose? I gained a quick 20-30 lbs in about two months after I first was incapacitated by the CFS symptoms. I still will have carb cravings if I do not stick on a strictly low-carb diet (even then sometimes I will fold), so wondering if this has any anecdotal merit.

On the flip side, it seems to have some potential for negative effects (can Google Chromium Picolinate toxicity, Chromium Picolinate dangers, etc.) so it makes me wonder if it is worth the bother. In addition, have read New medications which decrease levothyroxine absorption. So, seems prudent to separate it from Synthroid use by a couple hours, as noted in the linked abstract.

I would like to bring the issue up with my doc but first thought would look to see if anyone here had any benefit or ill consequence from using it.

You might want to look at another form of chromium combined with vanadium--both are important and work together. When I was tested I was very low in both chromium and vanadium. This product uses Chromium GTF (as polynicotinate) which is, I think a better form of chromium--can't remember why, except that I have read it! o_O http://www.vitacost.com/source-naturals-vanadium-with-chromium

Sushi

Ema

I agree that chromium polynicotinate is a better form. There is supposedly less risk of damage to DNA though I would still keep the dose under 200 mcg/day.

I think it does help with blood sugar, for me anyway! And I would definitely take thyroid on an empty stomach away from all other meds.

Are you sure that the weight gain isn't a result of a not-quite-optimized thyroid? Hypothyroid can make it very difficult to lose weight especially on T4 meds like Synthroid alone. Do you have recent thyroid labs (FT4 and FT3)? Have you ever tested RT3 to see about how well you are converting to the active hormone?

Ema

AFCFS

Thanks for the replies. Good feedback and link. At the very least, helps with research and conversation with doc.

Are you sure that the weight gain isn't a result of a not-quite-optimized thyroid? Hypothyroid can make it very difficult to lose weight especially on T4 meds like Synthroid alone. Do you have recent thyroid labs (FT4 and FT3)? Have you ever tested RT3 to see about how well you are converting to the active hormone?

Well, good questions and I was just thinking about them. I did have recent FT4 and FT3 done, with a low TSH of about .13. I got the results on the phone from the doc's office and only wrote down the TSH level as it was a morning call and was not quite awake. Then I also recently changed from the endocrinologist to the integrative MD so had them faxed over but did not get a copy yet. Will have to check on this.

Have not had an RT3 in a while. But again, good idea. I found with the old endocrinologist I had absolutely no say in what tests were being ordered and a blank look when I suggested anything (e.g. maybe T-3). With the new doc, he is more on the ball/proactive and more aggressive in his approach. As well, he will listen to me and order a test if I an make a convincing argument.

Will bring all this to the party next time I see him in a few weeks.

Tammy

chromium picolonate absolutely helped me with carb/sugar cravings. I was actually tested for my levels of chromium and was deficient. I had a lot of low blood sugar symptoms and this is why my Dr. tested the levels. I mentioned this in another thread but one of my low blood sugar symptoms was an itchy scalp.............I never connected this symptom with low blood sugar problems but my Dr. did.......go figure!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
chromium picolonate absolutely helped me with carb/sugar cravings. I was actually tested for my levels of chromium and was deficient. I had a lot of low blood sugar symptoms and this is why my Dr. tested the levels. I mentioned this in another thread but one of my low blood sugar symptoms was an itchy scalp.............I never connected this symptom with low blood sugar problems but my Dr. did.......go figure!

Did they test vanadium? I was totally at the bottom of the barrel with it--plus very low chromium.

Sushi

CSMLSM

This is something I came across some years ago and with vague memory I will say.
The form you mention is the most dangerous and what I do remember is that I decided it to be a worrying thing to put in my body due to the effects on DNA.
Like I said vague memory after god knows how many major relapses and loss of memories, like a fragmented hardrive (memory).
In my opinion (everyone has one) stay away from this please.