• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Hypokalemia with Potassium Citrate. Urgent!

arx

Hi,

I've been on Freddd's Active B12 Protocol for some months now, and to manage the induced hypokalemia, I've been supplementing with a Potassium Citrate solution.

The solution says that it contains 1100 mg of Potassium Citrate in 5 ml. It says the potassium ion content is approx 2 mEq/ml.

Now for months I have thinking that a 5ml contains 1100 mg of elemental potassium,which tonight I came to know is wrong!
Wikipedia says "Pure potassium citrate contains 38.28% potassium."

All in all,with the above info, I think I have been taking far less amount of the potasisum I thought I was taking. No wonder I've been having hypokalemia symptoms and crashes!

1. I would urge someone with the knowledge of chemistry to calculate the amount of elemental potassium in 5 ml of the solution I am taking. The information provided has been mentioned above, and I'll mention again:

->5 ml of the solution contains: potassium citrate monohydrate 1100 mg, citric acid monohydrate 334 mg
-> the potassium ion content is approx 2 mEq/ml.

Please if you can tell me the elemental potassium in 5 ml of my potassium citrate solution, it will be really helpful! I would like to know how much potassium I am actually consuming!!!

2. If you have tried Potassium Citrate for hypokalemia or have any suggestions for me, please share!

Thanks!

Crux

Hi Arx;

So, with your 5ml dosage of potassium citrate, you should be getting approx. 10 mEq. of elemental potassium.
10 mEq. of elemental potassium = 390 mgs. of elemental potassium. ( 1mEq. = 39 mg. )

38.28 % of 1100 mgs. = 421.08 mgs.

There's a discrepancy here, but I guess the brand/ type you are taking is probably closer to 390 mgs. per 5 ml. dosage.

I have 4 potassium compounds here, including potassium citrate. I think it's a good type. I take potassium gluconate. I think it's also good. It's a personal preference. I'm not able to go the " full nerd" on why one would be better.

Both have been prescribed for people with hypokalemia.

I understand the confusion, I goofed the measurements one time and got "the trots", from taking too much.

arx

Hi Arx;

So, with your 5ml dosage of potassium citrate, you should be getting approx. 10 mEq. of elemental potassium.
10 mEq. of elemental potassium = 390 mgs. of elemental potassium. ( 1mEq. = 39 mg. )

38.28 % of 1100 mgs. = 421.08 mgs.

There's a discrepancy here, but I guess the brand/ type you are taking is probably closer to 390 mgs. per 5 ml. dosage.

I have 4 potassium compounds here, including potassium citrate. I think it's a good type. I take potassium gluconate. I think it's also good. It's a personal preference. I'm not able to go the " full nerd" on why one would be better.

Both have been prescribed for people with hypokalemia.

Hi Crux,

Thank you for your help. The calculation seems so clear now, I wonder why I wasn't able to do it yesterday.

I find it shocking that I have been taking a little less than 40 percent of potassium I thought I was taking(stupid me!). I think this would be of great help, as many symptoms can be attributed to low potassium.

I've seen people take Potassium Chloride, the 99 mg tablets and Potassium Gluconate also. I guess all of them work for hypokalemia. Potassium Citrate feels safe to me, as it comes in a solution form and I plan to double my dose.

How much potassium do you supplement,Crux?
Is is safe to take around 3000mg of potassium(elemental) from that potassium citrate solution?

I understand the confusion, I goofed the measurements one time and got "the trots", from taking too much.

Yeah, I wonder if other people are facing a similar confusion. Maybe they're smarter than I have been and have looked into the details of the potassium they're taking. I haven't seen people on such protocols use potassium citrate,though. Everytime I read about potassium, it mentions the chloride form only. Or maybe I haven't read much on it.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I've seen people take Potassium Chloride, the 99 mg tablets
Be sure to drink plenty of water with potassium chloride pills if you take them. Salt substitute that you buy at the grocery store is potassium chloride. I dissolve 1/8 tsp. of that in 1 cup of water and drink it. I also take potassium citrate tablets. I am not (yet) taking high doses of B vitamins, but for lowish potassium am taking about 600 mg potassium daily.

arx

Be sure to drink plenty of water with potassium chloride pills if you take them. Salt substitute that you buy at the grocery store is potassium chloride. I dissolve 1/8 tsp. of that in 1 cup of water and drink it. I also take potassium citrate tablets. I am not (yet) taking high doses of B vitamins, but for lowish potassium am taking about 600 mg potassium daily.

Thanks,@Little Bluestem. I'll keep that in mind.

Crux

Hi Y'all ;

I believe that companies who sell these products should be clear about the ingredients. They should test the compound, find the amount of elemental potassium in it, and print that amount on the container, even if it's an approximation. Otherwise, it's just too confusing for anyone, save a mathematician who loves problems.

Potassium citrate is a good compound, because citrates are needed in many of the body's processes. ( There are alot of citrates and potassium in the prostrate gland, for instance.)

Potassium chloride may be of benefit to people with low stomach acid because chlorides are used to form HCL in the stomach. Chlorides are very acidic, though, and may irritate tissues. That's why it's a good idea to dilute it.

I'm now taking 3000 mgs. of elemental potassium daily, in divided doses, usually 500 mgs. at a time. I've taken as much as 10 grams daily in years past. I was confusing some of my low B12 symptoms with low potassium symptoms.

This is all very difficult to figure out, especially when we have brain fog to contend with. I keep a small yellow pad next to my supplements, and record the amounts of each I'm taking daily.

Crux

Hi Arx;

I've read that 18 grams of elemental potassium taken all at once may induce death. So let's avoid that.

I've taken 2-3 grams at once, and felt poorly, with some neuro symptoms, numbness, weakness. I also had intractable diarrhea.

Too much potassium can displace sodium, not good for anyone, and induce heart arrhythmias.

The RDA, depending on whose RDA, ( more confusion), is as high as 4700 mgs. daily of elemental potassium.

arx

Hi Crux,

I agree, many things are difficult to monitor because of the brain fog and this is one very important part of it. I didn't know about the potassium citrate confusion which I mention for 4 months! The elemental potassium content should be mentioned.

I think on Freddd's protocol, there is greater need for potassium and around 2000mg is needed.

How often do you get your blood test for potassium, as it is extremely important to keep it in check?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Too much potassium can displace sodium, not good for anyone, and induce heart arrhythmias.
Initially, I was putting both sodium and potassium salts in my salt water. My dietitian said to leave out the sodium because it would interfere with potassium uptake. If I start raising my potassium intake along with my active B intake, I think I will put sodium in part of my salt water doses. After all, sports drinks contain both sodium and potassium.

hi
i wanted to chime in that i have used potassium with much success (for about five months)
for the side effects of using the methylation startup sups. and have been astounded at the rapid relief it always brings me. i muscle test my doses on everything, and was SHOCKED when i needed sometimes like 9 or 10 (99mgs) capsules at a time. i buy POTASSIUM GLUCARATE AMINO ACID CHELATE at Raley's grocery stores in CA under the Captain Carrot brand. It is the only one I have found in that form, which is what I read here is most absorbable. It always tests the best at the available stores, too. I have never had trouble with needing more sodium or having it be too much. If anything, sometimes ten minutes later I would need another dose! In the beginning of starting Rich's sups in tiny crumbs, I went through a whole bottle of 100 potassium caps in three days! I have still been going through them, only my dose is now around less than 10 or so caps a day.....but whenever I start adding in the b 12s or folates, etc.....BAM!! Urgent need for potassium. Rich had an elegant explanation of this reason on a thread a while ago. Thank God for him and I sorely miss him dearly.
the effects i needed potassium for were/are anything from rapid heart beats, the shakes, feeling like an internal trembling/quivering, massive, rapid NAUSEA, and very often for that tingling pulling feeling you can get in the backs of your calves with the methylation stuff. a brand and form that also tests very well, and is waaaaay better cost
wise that i have not used yet is by Eidon (but I do use their iodide). vitacost.com sells this liquid potassium, and you can also visit eidon.com to read about the product and it's formulation. good luck.

globalpilot

Hi,

I've been on Freddd's Active B12 Protocol for some months now, and to manage the induced hypokalemia, I've been supplementing with a Potassium Citrate solution.

The solution says that it contains 1100 mg of Potassium Citrate in 5 ml. It says the potassium ion content is approx 2 mEq/ml.

Now for months I have thinking that a 5ml contains 1100 mg of elemental potassium,which tonight I came to know is wrong!
Wikipedia says "Pure potassium citrate contains 38.28% potassium."

All in all,with the above info, I think I have been taking far less amount of the potasisum I thought I was taking. No wonder I've been having hypokalemia symptoms and crashes!

1. I would urge someone with the knowledge of chemistry to calculate the amount of elemental potassium in 5 ml of the solution I am taking. The information provided has been mentioned above, and I'll mention again:

->5 ml of the solution contains: potassium citrate monohydrate 1100 mg, citric acid monohydrate 334 mg
-> the potassium ion content is approx 2 mEq/ml.

Please if you can tell me the elemental potassium in 5 ml of my potassium citrate solution, it will be really helpful! I would like to know how much potassium I am actually consuming!!!

2. If you have tried Potassium Citrate for hypokalemia or have any suggestions for me, please share!

Thanks!

Does teh supplement say anywhere how much of the potassium RDA it contains ?
I went through the proccess of calculating how much of the element each of my supplements contains, only to find out later that they are actually reporting the elemental element even if they report the compound the supplement contains. For example, my 'copper glucoranate' supplment says that each pill is 2mg copper glucoranate but it actually contains 2mg copper if you look at he % of RDA on the bottle. I hope that makes sense. Anyway please have a look at the %RDA on your bottle. You don't want to take too much potassium.

arx

Does teh supplement say anywhere how much of the potassium RDA it contains ?
I went through the proccess of calculating how much of the element each of my supplements contains, only to find out later that they are actually reporting the elemental element even if they report the compound the supplement contains. For example, my 'copper glucoranate' supplment says that each pill is 2mg copper glucoranate but it actually contains 2mg copper if you look at he % of RDA on the bottle. I hope that makes sense. Anyway please have a look at the %RDA on your bottle. You don't want to take too much potassium.

Hi globalpilot,

The supplement does not say how much % of the RDA it contains. It is a potassium citrate solution to be taken after diluting. It mentions that it should be taken in the quantity prescribed by a physician. I don't think it is sold as a supplement, as all supplements contain that 'Supplement Facts' section which mentions the % of RDA it contains. It might be used for other purposes too, but I use it to supplement my potassium.

I have mentioned above whatever the bottle says, and it does not have a % RDA section.So I don't know.

I think it would be wise to call up the manufacturer and clear the doubt, whether Potassium Citrate 1100mg and other particulars mentioned amount to 1100mg of elemental potassium or as per the calculations of the data given, around 390mg. Lot of difference!

globalpilot

Hi globalpilot,

The supplement does not say how much % of the RDA it contains. It is a potassium citrate solution to be taken after diluting. It mentions that it should be taken in the quantity prescribed by a physician. I don't think it is sold as a supplement, as all supplements contain that 'Supplement Facts' section which mentions the % of RDA it contains. It might be used for other purposes too, but I use it to supplement my potassium.

I have mentioned above whatever the bottle says, and it does not have a % RDA section.So I don't know.

I think it would be wise to call up the manufacturer and clear the doubt, whether Potassium Citrate 1100mg an, I would other particulars mentioned amount to 1100mg of elemental potassium or as per the calculations of the data given, around 390mg. Lot of difference!

Yes,absolutely, I would call them and get a definitive answer. It's too huge a difference

Crux

Hi Arx;

I agree that it's the best idea to have potassium levels checked regularly, but I only go 1 or 2 times yearly for a CBC, and other tests. So, I'm not checking as regularly as other folks may require.

My potassium levels haven't been high or low, so I've been relying on symptoms for my needs. I know there is risk with this, but admittedly, this is my method.

There are meters that one could purchase online. I haven't looked into it. There was some discussion of them on another potassium thread some months back.

I find I also need alot of sodium. I don't usually add it to my potassium solution, but I use alot of sea salt with my food. My sodium levels are stable now. ( I take cortisol.) So, I also go with symptoms/cravings for salt.

Freddd

I would like to clarify a bit on potassium. It is the most common element in our cells. It is literally a building block of our bodies. So when the bodu is making cells of any kind it needs potassium tight now. The potassium in one meal could be enough to kill us if it were not for the fact that insulin causes the potassium to go into tissues. Those on insulin better be talking to their daoctors about how to balance these things if the docs have any idea.

In general, READING LABELS and understanding can save our lives from time to time. Ihave found people taking all sorts of things they wouldn't have been, me included, if they had understood what the label meant.

As far as tests, the serum level shows how well our body in able to maintain a steadystate. I find above 4.3 my body doesn't often have symptoms but below that I have all kinds of problems. It reaches a serum peak 18 hours after each meal so food absorbed K doesn't give fast relief.

arx

Thanks for the information,Freddd. For more than four months I thought I was taking 1100 mg of 'elemental' potassium in 1 tsp of K-Citrate, turns out it is around 390 mg acc. to calculations. Will always read labels now!

Freddd

Thanks for the information,Freddd. For more than four months I thought I was taking 1100 mg of 'elemental' potassium in 1 tsp of K-Citrate, turns out it is around 390 mg acc. to calculations. Will always read labels now!

Hi Arx,

I actually carry a magnifying glass to read labels when I can't read even with reading glasses because of tiny print. Just like there used to be "shoulder pad buildup" there can be "folic acid" and other buildup because of so many things snuck into complex formulas. The "neuro" formulas are parrticularly dangerous with NAC and variants, and things like that too as well as gross mass of the compound instead of net mass of the element. Good luck. I think you will find balance and comfort far easier now without as much concern.

arx

Hi Arx,

I actually carry a magnifying glass to read labels when I can't read even with reading glasses because of tiny print. Just like there used to be "shoulder pad buildup" there can be "folic acid" and other buildup because of so many things snuck into complex formulas. The "neuro" formulas are parrticularly dangerous with NAC and variants, and things like that too as well as gross mass of the compound instead of net mass of the element. Good luck. I think you will find balance and comfort far easier now without as much concern.

Thanks, I hope I find balance. Maybe the physical and mental effects which made me quit carnitine(described here:http://www.forums.phoenixrising.me/...-simplified-protocol.20056/page-2#post-308435)
were because of lack of potassium? At least some of them can be related to potassium. I thought I was taking around 1500mg from diet and another 3300mg(3 x 1100) from the solution. Turns out that 3300 mg is actually 390 x 3! Not even 1200!

Yeah,even I have seen some formulas, they need to be read thoroughly. Why don't these companies write the net mass of the element? They should!