• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clindamycin Herx?

Lotus97

A month ago I was prescribed Clindamycin after one of my teeth were extracted. The dentist prescribed this because I had experienced diarrhea from a different antibiotic. I took 150mg 4X/day for 3 days and experienced herxing while on it. I had read accounts about this happening to other people, but I was wondering what it means. Was it killing some kind of infection/virus? I also came across the Marshall Protocol in my research, but saw that it was kind of panned in the forums here so I haven't really looked into that. I think there's a possibility that I have an infection because my gum below the extraction site has remained sore for the past month. I'm wondering if there is some benefit taking Clindamycin again or should I have my dentist prescribe a different medication?

Clindamycin makes my fibro pain go away. Unfortunately, the benefit does not last for me. I have Lyme and Babesia. I am not sure which bug it is addressing, probably both. I am one of those people that think my CFS/FMS is from bacterial and protozoa infections with viral co-infections or opportunistic infection.

Should you take some more? Possibly. If this was me and my gum was still sore I would have it looked at again. The dentist may prescribe Zithromax this time. Or you needed a longer course of the Clindamycin. More like a week or 10 days to clear any gum infection. If it is in the bone it will take longer. IMHO

Best,
Karen

ukxmrv

There is no proof that we are having a Herxheimer reaction to antibiotics. I wish that we had better research and better tests to determine exactly what it is that we are going through with these bad reactions.

The Marshall protocol is just one of the many that use AB's though. I'm seen them on the internet for as long as the internet groups have existed.

Many patients report that they have severe reactions to AB's and some report that they eventually get better if they adopt one of these protocols.

My experience was that I could not tolerate any of the AB protocols that I tried. My health was always much worse after trying one.

I discovered by accident that if I also took the immune modulator Immunovir and an antiviral Vatrex then I could finally tolerate AB's and even felt better if I took them for a week. This had never happened before.

For some of us it may be that if we attack one pathogen with AB's others become more active or alternatively we may be going through an IRIS type response rather than the classic Herxheimer of old.

Hopefully someone else will be know more about the action of Clindamycin and what could be happening. We did have one poster a while back whose health problem resolved after dental treatment.

xrunner

I'm wondering if there is some benefit taking Clindamycin again or should I have my dentist prescribe a different medication?
If you want to try abx as a treatment option, there are others at least as effective but safer than Clindamycin.
It's a broad spectrum abx and it can devastate your gut flora. I reckon it's one of those you take and your gut doesn't feel the same afterwards. I only tried it for a few days and it was enough for me.
People on the MP take tiny doses and perhaps they can get away with that.
As for herxes I could only tell afterwards for sure based on improvements that followed or didn't.

Lotus97

Thanks for the replies. Part of the reason I asked the question about Clindamycin is because I've been wondering whether or not I have Lyme disease and I thought maybe if I herxed it would be evidence that I have it. I know it's kind of a shot in the dark, but I've read that those Lyme infection tests are kind of shady (sometimes false positives and sometimes false negatives).

A month ago a circular rash appeared on my ankle. Two and half years ago the same rash appeared in the same place on my ankle. And 16 years ago I was bitten by a tick on my ankle so it looks like I do have lyme disease and possible co-infections/viruses.

I don't plan on taking prescription antibiotics and I'm hesitant to take too much antibiotics in supplement form either due to what people mentioned about it disrupting gut flora. I was having sinus congestion a few weeks ago and took some coilloidal silver nasal spray. It seemed to cause a herx also. I was thinking it might be a better way to go, but I did get diarrhea so maybe it did affect the probiotics in my GI tract even though I didn't take it orally which means it might still be something to be cautious about.

I'm also learning about something called biofilm and how it's related both to Lyme and other infections, but also fungi and heavy metals. There's a thread about it here which has some useful information:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/gi-biofilm-infection-heavy-metals.1547/