• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Equilibrant

Andrew

I asked Dr. Chia about flu symptom increase. He said sometimes it helps to take Inosine, 500 mg once a day for one to two weeks, then up it to twice a day. See how it goes. He said the Life Extension brand is probably better.

SOC

Still waiting on my Parvo PCR test. Stupid local lab did the wrong test. They repeated the IGG IGM they just did instead of doing the PCR. :rolleyes:

I'm feeling quite good these days, though. :D Since June I've added the Equilibrant and verapamil (for tachycardia), and have worked out an electrolyte water schedule that helps me be upright and more functional for a large part of the day. One or all of those things has given me a big boost in functionality.

We just keep picking away at things -- 10% improvement here, 10 % improvement there. The only question is whether, or for how long, I'll be able to keep all these balls in the air. There are a lot of meds/supps to take, I have to watch my HR, and if I don't keep my electrolyte schedule just so, I fade rapidly. So it's not exactly an easy fix, but I'm darned glad to be getting out of the house every day, earning some money, and feeling reasonably normal.

I had a flu shot last week which took me down for about 4 days. It's was startling and a bit scary to remember that I felt like that -- crappy, fluish, and sick -- every day for years and years. I was very relieved when I got back to 'normal' in a few days, and even more grateful that regardless of functionality, I don't feel like crap every minute of every day. :D

globalpilot

Still waiting on my Parvo PCR test. Stupid local lab did the wrong test. They repeated the IGG IGM they just did instead of doing the PCR. :rolleyes:

I'm feeling quite good these days, though. :D Since June I've added the Equilibrant and verapamil (for tachycardia), and have worked out an electrolyte water schedule that helps me be upright and more functional for a large part of the day. One or all of those things has given me a big boost in functionality.

We just keep picking away at things -- 10% improvement here, 10 % improvement there. The only question is whether, or for how long, I'll be able to keep all these balls in the air. There are a lot of meds/supps to take, I have to watch my HR, and if I don't keep my electrolyte schedule just so, I fade rapidly. So it's not exactly an easy fix, but I'm darned glad to be getting out of the house every day, earning some money, and feeling reasonably normal.

I had a flu shot last week which took me down for about 4 days. It's was startling and a bit scary to remember that I felt like that -- crappy, fluish, and sick -- every day for years and years. I was very relieved when I got back to 'normal' in a few days, and even more grateful that regardless of functionality, I don't feel like crap every minute of every day. :D
S
SOC,
Just wondering what happens to your heartrate if you do not follow your electrolyte schedule ?
Lately, my diet did nto provide enough potassium due to a trip and lack of the normal foods/supps I take and my blood pressure went down a lot - I think due to low potassium. Did your heartrate decrease ?

Susan

SOC

S
SOC,
Just wondering what happens to your heartrate if you do not follow your electrolyte schedule ?
Lately, my diet did nto provide enough potassium due to a trip and lack of the normal foods/supps I take and my blood pressure went down a lot - I think due to low potassium. Did your heartrate decrease ?

Susan

No, my heart rate increases if I don't take my electrolytes and fluids. My resting HR is about the same, but when I'm moving around it's about 20 bpm lower when I stay on my electrolyte schedule. My BP tends to run a little lower, too.

I have low blood volume, not just low potassium, so that might make my situation different from yours. :)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
My Parvo PCR test is in and it's negative! So it looks like the Equilibrant, even at a small dose, had an effect on both the Coxsackie and the Parvo.

Current score: Me - 5, viruses - 0
Has it had an effect on hhv6/ebv etc. have u had any nk/lymphocyte function tests to see if its improving things there??

SOC

heapsreal
My last immune tests were in March. I'm overdue to have them done again. Hopefully that will happen by the end of the year.

My HHV-6 was negative as of last March. That was the result of Valcyte.

My EBV EA, IgG, and EBNA were all positive in March. EBV was NEGATIVE (different lab, don't have details) in August. Since I'm still taking Valtrex, I'm figuring that's what finished off the EBV.

My Coxsackie titre was positive in March, negative in August after 3-4 months of Equilibrant.

My Parvo titre was positive in March, negative by PCR in October, after 5 months of Equilibrant.

My C. pneumoniae was negative in March, I think. I was on Clarithromycin for about 3 months.

We'll see if my immune tests show any differences for the ones done in March.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
heapsreal
My last immune tests were in March. I'm overdue to have them done again. Hopefully that will happen by the end of the year.

My HHV-6 was negative as of last March. That was the result of Valcyte.

My EBV EA, IgG, and EBNA were all positive in March. EBV was NEGATIVE (different lab, don't have details) in August. Since I'm still taking Valtrex, I'm figuring that's what finished off the EBV.

My Coxsackie titre was positive in March, negative in August after 3-4 months of Equilibrant.

My Parvo titre was positive in March, negative by PCR in October, after 5 months of Equilibrant.

My C. pneumoniae was negative in March, I think. I was on Clarithromycin for about 3 months.

We'll see if my immune tests show any differences for the ones done in March.

Sounds promising, you feeling better for it??
Im thinking off trying it myself, i need something to kick my immune system along. I have been waiting for awhile for immunovir, seems to be held up somewhere so i have decided to order some cycloferon again. My issues still seem to be sinuses, all good on antibiotics but when off them it just comes back, so i think its because of my crappy immunity. If i didnt put in my order for cyclo before reading your thread i would have ordered some equilib, but things happen.

cheers!!!

SOC

Sounds promising, you feeling better for it??
Im thinking off trying it myself, i need something to kick my immune system along. I have been waiting for awhile for immunovir, seems to be held up somewhere so i have decided to order some cycloferon again. My issues still seem to be sinuses, all good on antibiotics but when off them it just comes back, so i think its because of my crappy immunity. If i didnt put in my order for cyclo before reading your thread i would have ordered some equilib, but things happen.

cheers!!!

We changed 4 things since spring -- increased my vitamin D, increased fluids and electrolytes, added Verapamil to reduce tachycardia, and added Equilibrant. I feel significantly better since then. I think a large part of my increase in functionality is due to improving my low blood volume issues with fluids, electrolytes, and Verapamil.

I've finally gotten to the point where I don't feel "viral" for the first time in 8 years. I think the Equilibrant was the last step in that process. Equilibrant also had some effect on my tachycardia, although I'm not sure why. :)

I'd say Equilibrant is definitely worth a try. My suggestion, as with everything else, is to start low and go slow.

RestingInHim

Realist
Inester, I can take up to 6 per day eventually.

Dr. Chia says has treated over 800 patients with Equillibrant and 53% have improved. Some, according to him, have gone completely into remission.

Regarding what virus he's treating me for, he suspects an enterovirus. What type? I don't know. I'm going to have a biopsy soon to try to confirm this. But based on Dr. C's theory, it shouldn't matter what virus you have. The Equillibrant is supposed to tilt your immune system back toward Th1 so that it can effectively deal with viruses in general. I did a write-up on my appointment and Dr. Chia's theories here if you're interested. I warn you, though, it's long.

Hi Patrick! I went to your blog, but couldn't comment because i don't have an internet profile.

I cannot thank you enough for sharing you experiences with Dr. Chia as well as how equilibrant has affected you. My first appointment with him is Nov. 13. Your explanation of ME/CFS from your blog entry is the clearest, most concise I've ever read...and I've been at this almost 20 years!! The other entries I've read have been insightful as well.

From another SO CALer...
resting better....thanks to you!

clive powney

Just thought I would give a quick and last update on this thread before starting one on my Famvir quest.
A week or so after stopping the equilibrant I have started to feel a bit better and it has now lasted over 10 days. Only a point maybe (5.5) now on the fatigue scale but noticeable. It has co-incided with me starting amitriptyline (25mg 2 hrs before bedtime) - not sure if it is because I am sleeping better or what , but I thought I would put this down as a final comment.

RestingInHim

Realist
I'm just at the beginning of the process with Equilibrant...Day 13. so far i have experienced increased symptoms for 4 days then relief for several days. i increased my dose on the 10th day and am experiencing the same pattern. i am hopeful since this is what i've read is supposes to happen. Patrick has experienced a 10% improvement which he attributes to 3 things, thre first of which is Equilibrant. (see his blog on this thread)

Hip

An account of a great success story with oxymatrine in the treatment of ME/CFS can be found here: Beating up viruses

The ME/CFS patient in question (named Sp!ndrift) had 6 week of pure hell on oxymatrine before his symptoms improved; but as Dr Chia has observed many times, the worse an ME/CFS patient initially feels on oxymatrine, the greater the improvements they will experience later.

Interestingly, Sp!ndrift also obtained significant further improvements in his ME/CFS symptoms from taking acyclovir with oxymatrine.

SOC

Who prescribed you the verapamil ? (does it reduce HR???) ? I need something to lower my HR so I have more wiggle room to exercise and move around.
Dr R prescribed it. A beta-blocker would work as well, supposedly, but I have asthma so a beta-blocker is contraindicated.

What the Verapamil does best for me is keeping my HR from rising quickly with any activity, which is helpful.

Seven7

Seven
Dr R prescribed it.
I wish she would do that for me, I have asked :confused:, I get HR high and I am not sure the relationship w exercise / activity.

Do you get less PEM when you keep your HR lower?

How high does your HR go, How high used to go before Meds??

SOC

I wish she would do that for me, I have asked :confused:, I get HR high and I am not sure the relationship w exercise / activity.

Do you get less PEM when you keep your HR lower?

How high does your HR go, How high used to go before Meds??

I haven't had a serious PEM episode in quite a long time since I've learned to manage my activity, so I can't say whether I have less PEM with lower HR. I'm honestly a little puzzled about the connection between lowering HR pharmaceutically and AT or PEM.

I do feel less fatigued. I can do a little more... and by little, I mean a very small amount. I can walk across a room at a normal-quickish pace instead of having to walk sloooowly. I can take a shower (sitting), without having to lie down immediately afterward. These are little things, but they do improve my life noticeably.

I can't really tell you how much of these improvements are due to fluid loading and how much to HR reduction. I think the biggest benefit to HR reduction is that I'm not unnecessarily overworking my heart.

Prior to fluid loading and Verapamil, my morning HR was 90-100 bpm. Now it's more like 80-85 bpm. Most of that is probably due to fluid loading. The biggest effect I notice from Verapamil is that my HR doesn't go zooming up as soon as I do anything.