• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many have low PULSE pressure?

My wife Liz, 20 years with ME, always reported " a real high" when placed on a saline drip when visiting hospital for treatment.
The Consultant, now retired, considered low blood volume to be a possible cause for this, not just the re-hydration after a long journey.
Reviewing her blood pressure readings (after I'd been found to have high blood pressure so considering this area), I noticed her PULSE pressure is always quite low (resting pressure test) compared to normal.
On researching this I find one reason to be "low blood volume".
Are you monitoring, or have access to your blood pressure readings?
Subtract the lower reading from the higher - 40 is normal, anything around 25 is "quite low".
If this level IS predominant in ME sufferers it could be of significant help in diagnosis. Let's see.

ukxmrv

Low blood volume has been known about for a while. Some USA patients have saline as a treatment.

http://www.ncf-net.org/library/Bell.htm

Dr Cheney includes low pulse pressure on his website. He gave a lecture at the IiME conference on some of the heart problems he has been investigating in his patients.

http://www.cheneyclinic.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/signs-and-symptoms

8.Low systolic blood pressure (<110 mmHg in >70%). Hypertension is rare and <2%. Low pulse pressure below 30 mmHg in >50

My pulse pressure is usually low when standing or sitting upright for a while. My lowest reading was 14, though usually my BP monitor craps out if it's under 22 or so.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My wife Liz, 20 years with ME, always reported " a real high" when placed on a saline drip when visiting hospital for treatment.
The Consultant, now retired, considered low blood volume to be a possible cause for this, not just the re-hydration after a long journey.
Reviewing her blood pressure readings (after I'd been found to have high blood pressure so considering this area), I noticed her PULSE pressure is always quite low (resting pressure test) compared to normal.
On researching this I find one reason to be "low blood volume".
Are you monitoring, or have access to your blood pressure readings?
Subtract the lower reading from the higher - 40 is normal, anything around 25 is "quite low".
If this level IS predominant in ME sufferers it could be of significant help in diagnosis. Let's see.

When I did a Tilt Table Test, my pulse pressure went extremely low--8, I think. It is not normally so low, but when stressed by something like prolonged standing, my systolic goes down and diastolic goes up. Low blood volume is quite common it this patient group and saline drips make many of us feel much better.

An easy (but less effective) alternative is to drink a whole liter of Pedialite (electrolyte replacement made for children). This revives me when I am having a hard day. The flavored pedialite is a bit disgusting (and most of us don't want all that sugar) but the unfavored isn't bad.

I'd guess you are in the UK and I think they have the same formulation there, but if not, they will have something similar. Here it is found in the Children's section of pharmacies.

Best,
Sushi

SOC

An easy (but less effective) alternative is to drink a whole liter of Pedialite (electrolyte replacement made for children). This revives me when I am having a hard day. The flavored pedialite is a bit disgusting (and most of us don't want all that sugar) but the unfavored isn't bad.

The exercise physiologist at Drs Klimas/Rey's office suggested this product. Mix in a liter of water and drink. Also easy. :)

It has no sodium, no calories, and no sugar. The lemon-lime flavor is very mild. Although it's sweetened with stevia, it is not at all sweet. It's most like drinking mineral water.
http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-ElectroMix-Lemon-Lime-30-Packets-4-2-oz-120-g/17246

Sushi

The exercise physiologist at Drs Klimas/Rey's office suggested this product. Mix in a liter of water and drink. Also easy. :)

It has no sodium, no calories, and no sugar. The lemon-lime flavor is very mild. Although it's sweetened with stevia, it is not at all sweet. It's most like drinking mineral water.
http://www.iherb.com/Alacer-ElectroMix-Lemon-Lime-30-Packets-4-2-oz-120-g/17246

Hi SOC,

I use this too, daily, but find that Pedialite is a lot more effective for me. I probably need the sodium.

Sushi

SOC

Hi SOC,

I use this too, daily, but find that Pedialite is a lot more effective for me. I probably need the sodium.

Sushi

That's interesting. I'm still figuring this stuff out. I wonder if interchanging a sodium-free with a sodium one would work for me, too. How much electrolyte fluid do you drink in a day? Do you know if one can use it for the total of one's daily fluid? I need to drink 3-4 liters of water daily, but I haven't sorted out whether it should be all electrolyte fluids, or some electrolyte and some plain. :confused:

Sushi

That's interesting. I'm still figuring this stuff out. I wonder if interchanging a sodium-free with a sodium one would work for me, too. How much electrolyte fluid do you drink in a day? Do you know if one can use it for the total of one's daily fluid? I need to drink 3-4 liters of water daily, but I haven't sorted out whether it should be all electrolyte fluids, or some electrolyte and some plain. :confused:

Who knows! Electrolytes help you retain fluid and thus can help blood volume. I tend to put some celtic sea salt in my water even when I don't use the electrolyte mix. This works better for me than salt tablets, which I can't tolerate.

Trial and error?

Sushi

jimells

Yes, I have low pulse pressure, especially in the morning before the Florinef starts working.

A few months ago I had a lumbar puncture, and they gave me a liter of IV saline with the procedure. I did feel pretty good while the saline was going in. Of course an hour later I had to pee it all out, so the effect was quite temporary.

After reading an interview with Dr Cheney that talked about drinking salt and potassium water (I thinked he called it 'home brew'), I started mixing my own 'sea water': 1/2 tsp magnesium citrate, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp potassium (salt substitute) and a little lemon juice in a liter of water. I drink it throughout the day. It seems to help the POTS.