• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Asthma, who else has it?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Diagnosed with exercise induced Asthma at 6. Never had attacks though - but have had bronchitis and lung infections regularly between that age and now (43) Now dealing with pulmonary fibrosis and my consultant thinks i dont have asthma after all - he offered to test for this with an exercise stress test - which i am not well enough, M.E wise to perform.

(What a surprise, nothing straightforward here!)
All the best, Justy.

silicon

I do, since childhood, well before ME/CFS. It was brought on by allergies and sometimes aerobic exercise/sports. I do regret being on anti-asthma stimulants for many years, back in the day.

beaverfury

beaverfury
I was an asthmatic as a child. Up until my teens.

Started taking deprenyl and got a reccurence of asthma which i havent had in ages. Maybe a temporary issue, but have ceased taking it anyway.

Stretched

Yes, shortly after definitively having 'something' causing chest pain and congestion, i.e. before CFS identified,
I used spray Ventolin, some preventative powder spray(?), and Theophyillin for ~ 2 years. I took these along with a lot of Entrex (guaifenasin) under the theory (by Endocrinologist) this would break up the mucosal congestion and the sprays would dialate the Aveoli so I'd get back to 'normal' and be without chest pain, sic around the rib cage.

'Normal' didn't come and my CFS paralleled press reports, and I had been to Incline Village. So I dropped the Asthma protocol (to keep rx's at a reduced level) and used Medrol packs (prednisone) ~ 3-4 times a year along with
other meds for symptoms.

FWIW, the pred treatment helped the most in my not worrying about Asthma. This was 25 years ago and I'm considering revisiting this protocol even if it's only palliative. For me chest pains around the rib cage and back have returned as one of the most identifying 'flare' features of my ME, which waxes and wanes; and I mean the pain can really be limiting.

I hope this bit of shared history helps along the lines you were exploring.

Gingergrrl

Diagnosed with exercise induced Asthma at 6. Never had attacks though - but have had bronchitis and lung infections regularly between that age and now (43) Now dealing with pulmonary fibrosis and my consultant thinks i dont have asthma after all - he offered to test for this with an exercise stress test - which i am not well enough, M.E wise to perform.

@justy I know this is a really old post and I did not read the whole thread but you mentioned in this quote having pulmonary fibrosis and I was wondering how you confirmed that or what testing you had? Did you fail a pulmonary function test or what identified it? If not comfortable saying here, can you PM me? Thanks!

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl - I have had this confirmed by two ct scans.

Thanks Justy and I was wondering how it was confirmed as it is being proposed as a possible diagnosis for me since I failed the pulmonary function test at hospital and diagnosed with restrictive airway disease with lungs functioning at present at 69%.

There are several other possible explanations in my case and I have been researching them all (which always leads me back to posts on PR!).

I know you have had lots of breathing issues and have posted about using a wheelchair so was curious to learn how you got that diagnosis. Shortness of breath is my #1 most debilitating issue and trying to sort this all out.

Did you take any meds or treatment for the fibrosis? In my case, not certain I even have it but looking at all options and trying to plan ahead.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide!