• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Natan gives Rich Van K's presentation: Lyme conference Nov 3, 2012

RivkaRivka

On November 3, 2012, at the ILADS conference in Boston, Dr. Neil Nathan is giving the presentation Rich had planned to give. Around that same time there will also be a short tribute to Rich. All this will happen during the Saturday afternoon breakout session run by Dr. Jemsek. And from what we understand, all of this will also be live-streamed on the web.

Here is a link to the presentation
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/boston/program/ses1_sat.php

And here is the link to sign up for the live stream.
http://ilads.org/ilads_media/boston-live-streaming/

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Dr. Jemsek is a great doctor. He used to in Charlotte, NC and Fort Mill, SC before he moved to the D.C. area. He was continously harassed by the NC Medical Board and that is why he moved to Fort Mill S.C. I would not have one of my good friends if it were not for him.

My friend was running a land clearin business and in one small lot on the same day 3 deer ticks got him on his back and all 3 had very pronounced bullseye rashes. Local doctors gave him 2 weeks of doxycicline and said he should be fine. Well he wasn't and was getting worse fast. He went to emergency room finally one night and gave his history and they told him that it could not be lymes since he had been on doxicycline for 14 days. They sent him home without doing a thing and told him to give the antibiotics a few more days.

I foorgot to say that both his doctor and emergency room ran lyme test on him to be sure. They ran the ELISA test and they were both neagative.

At about 4 weeks my friend could not stand up under his own power. His wife had found out about Dr. Jemsek and I help her get him in the car for the 40 mile trip. His wife said when Dr. Jemsek walked into the room where my friend was laid and in pain. Dr. Jemsek looked at him for 2 minutes and told her he was 99% sure he had severe Lymes. She had not even told him about the 3 deer ticks at that moment.

Dr. Jemsek put him on something very strong (I don't remember what it was) and he had to collect urine on days 5-7 or something along these lines and any way the test showed a very strong presence of lyme. Dr. Jemsek told my friends wife that he felt like he could get him well, but it was going to be a long haul for him. He had lost about 40 pounds at this point. Dr. Jemsek placed a shunt in his arm that went straight into his heart. He had it for 3 weeks and a different antibiotic every week. The first round made a very, very noticable difference in my friend, but he was going to have to do it again after a certain amount of time. Meanwhile he was getting some type of treatments at Dr. Jemsek's office and was told that he would get worse again before it would be an upward slope afterward and he was right.

My friend is back working full time now as a heavy machinery mechanic (he was strong as an ox anyway) and he feels as if he is 98% of before, but that could be aging he says. He rides horses and has a farm with about 200 head of cattle. The only thing he does now that he did not do before is that his diet is more restricted in that he can not have to much sugar or he will have a time of not feeling good (2 or 3 days).

I am completely convinced if not for Dr. Jemsek, my friend would not be alive today!

Lotus97

On November 3, 2012, at the ILADS conference in Boston, Dr. Neil Nathan is giving the presentation Rich had planned to give. Around that same time there will also be a short tribute to Rich. All this will happen during the Saturday afternoon breakout session run by Dr. Jemsek. And from what we understand, all of this will also be live-streamed on the web.

Here is a link to the presentation
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_programs/boston/program/ses1_sat.php

And here is the link to sign up for the live stream.
http://ilads.org/ilads_media/boston-live-streaming/
Is there a video or copy of the speech Dr. Nathan gave?