• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pemberton: Botched tests deny the disabled their benefits

Firestormm

Yesterday something good was written and published by everyone's buddy, Dr Max Pemberton in the Daily Telegraph. Can't hate the man for this credible piece of writing (although some of course have because the man himself is the devil, after-all ;) ) though I feel he is rather confused with the nomenclature of said benefits perhaps (Atos are taking on the PIP):

Botched tests deny the disabled their benefits

There are serious concerns about the way Atos makes its assessments for eligibility

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9590852/Botched-tests-deny-the-disabled-their-benefits.html

It is roundly accepted that a society can be judged on how it treats its weakest members. Few would want to live in a country where those who were too ill to work were left to fend for themselves. Providing assistance to those in need is fundamental to a civilised society, and I’m pleased that in this country we have a long, rich tradition of this.

But there are finite resources available, and we need to assess who is eligible for help and in what circumstances. Deciding where the line falls isn’t easy. If the bar is set too high, it risks excluding people in genuine need. If it is too low, then too many people qualify who might be able to work, and that reduces the resources available to those in greater need.

At present, anyone who claims employment and support allowance because they are too sick or disabled to work must pass a work-capability test, designed by the Department for Work and Pensions but conducted by Atos, a French company. For some time, there have been concerns about the way this company makes its assessments, but a blistering light was shone on its practices after it sponsored the Paralympic Games.

In what will surely come to be regarded as a textbook PR disaster, the strength of feeling towards this company among those with disabilities, carers and medical professionals was beamed across the world when athletes at the opening ceremony were seen covering up the Atos logo on their clothing.

Atos has been dogged by controversy ever since it took over the Disability Living Allowance assessments, and the accusation – that it unfairly fails people, thus stripping them of their benefits and placing them under extreme stress and financial hardship – was given more weight last month when a nurse who had previously been employed to assess applicants claimed that she was forced to judge disabled people as fit for work.

The company denies her allegations and says that its staff – nurses, doctors and physiotherapists – simply apply government tests. Similarly, when concerns were raised by MPs this week, defenders of the scheme replied that horror stories of people being humiliated and unjustly denied benefits were anecdotal.

This is disingenuous. The statistics, sadly, speak for themselves. A third of all appeals against the assessments are successful. Even more worrying is that the success rate of appeals increases if the Citizens Advice Bureau is involved, implying that even more appeals would be won if everyone who appealed had proper representation. Which suggests that the tests currently used to decide who is eligible for support and who is not are not much better than flipping a coin.

This becomes truly tragic when you think that behind these numbers are human beings. The National Audit Office has investigated and reported that Atos is underperforming. The British Medical Association has called for the assessment system to be scrapped. Eight out of 10 doctors report having seen patients develop mental health problems as a result of the stress of the tests.

I find it incredible that these practices – the way the company determines which applicants should or should not be awarded benefits – are not open to scientific scrutiny. They are, after all, administering a test. With any other test in medicine, a basic requirement is that the test demonstrates suitable sensitivity and specificity – in this case, that it can accurately identify those who should be receiving benefit. [Hear! Hear!]

It is clearly failing. Because of “commercial sensitivity”, the exact details of the tests are shrouded in secrecy, which simply isn’t good enough. The tests are being administered on behalf of the taxpaying public, and we have a right to know how people are being judged worthy of receiving our money.

A huge number of my patients, the majority with severe and enduring mental illness, have been assessed by Atos, and the results are laughable. It’s not just that the assessments are excessively harsh, it’s that they appear so arbitrary. [Yep it is the arbitrary nature of the rulings, and the application of the assessment that is so deplorable IMO]

Reporters have gone undercover and discovered bizarre criteria. Oral chemotherapy doesn’t get points, but intravenous chemotherapy does. A BBC Panorama investigation revealed that a man who had been detained under the Mental Health Act was deemed fit for work. Every doctor I have spoken to has a similarly ludicrous story of botched assessments. This is the tick-box culture at its most sickening.

Whether the fault lies with Atos for the way it administers the tests or the Government for the way it has designed them, they are not fit for purpose. The tests and criteria used must be open to scrutiny by researchers and academics, so that their effectiveness can be monitored, just as is expected of other tests administered in medicine.

If I developed a test for cancer that was no better than tossing a coin, it would be medically negligent for me to administer it. The same applies to these assessments. Given the stress and pressure they place vulnerable people under, it’s vital that we can rely on them to give clear, consistent and valid results. We need to halt this mess before more lives are ruined.

Esther12

But it's the same biopsychosocial approach which is taken to CFS... and only a crazy militant patient could be unhappy about that!

Honestly, this article makes me think he's even more of a lazy hack, just following his biases (and twitter trends) without doing any real research or thinking. Does anyone think he read any of Aylward's work which has under-pinned these reforms? Does anyone think he realises that the PACE trial he had been wrongly claiming showed a recovery rate of 30% for psychosocial treatments is the only piece of medical research which has been funded by the DWP? One week he's promoting the false claims being used to justify these reforms and condemning patients angered by this quackery, and the next he's condemning the effect this is having upon patients (although he doesn't know where the fault lies - maybe he should do some work, and try to find out?).

Pemberton's articles are a fine illustration of the way that many people in this country engage with complicated issues, and the faith that they seem to have in their own instinctive beliefs and virtue. He probably does get it right half the time, but if I was writing editorials, and my opinions were no more consistent than if I'd just been tossing a coin...

Newspapers should just be shorter imo. If they're not willing to pay people for the time needed to produce carefully researched pieces, they should try to avoid making society worse by over-promoting the ill-informed views of the relatively wealthy and powerful sub-section of society that currently clutter up their pages.

Enid

Must say I read the article - he is a psychiatrist and his concern lies with his patients of course.

Yogi

I agree Esther12 he is a lazy hack. I thought he was quite vindictive before but now I just feel sorry for the guy as he cannot even see the major flaw and inconsistencies in his two recent articles. His views in his article on ME and this one are effectively mutually exclusive. It is a shame he does not wish to do basic research into ME before putting pen to paper. He is clearly not the brightest but this shows he is not malicious.

SilverbladeTE

I do not believe the tests are "botched"
I believe the whole damn thing was set up to screw folk over, as it's idealogically-driven "genocide by neglect" (removing form social help), not lethal injection/gas chamber
whole point is to reduce taxes for the rich, make "peoons" even more scared of losing their job and putting up with ANYTHING rather than beng made unemployed, ie, slaves.

Simon

But it's the same biopsychosocial approach which is taken to CFS... and only a crazy militant patient could be unhappy about that!

Honestly, this article makes me think he's even more of a lazy hack, just following his biases (and twitter trends) without doing any real research or thinking. Does anyone think he read any of Aylward's work which has under-pinned these reforms? Does anyone think he realises that the PACE trial he had been wrongly claiming showed a recovery rate of 30% for psychosocial treatments is the only piece of medical research which has been funded by the DWP? One week he's promoting the false claims being used to justify these reforms and condemning patients angered by this quackery, and the next he's condemning the effect this is having upon patients (although he doesn't know where the fault lies - maybe he should do some work, and try to find out?).

Pemberton's articles are a fine illustration of the way that many people in this country engage with complicated issues, and the faith that they seem to have in their own instinctive beliefs and virtue. He probably does get it right half the time, but if I was writing editorials, and my opinions were no more consistent than if I'd just been tossing a coin...

Newspapers should just be shorter imo. If they're not willing to pay people for the time needed to produce carefully researched pieces, they should try to avoid making society worse by over-promoting the ill-informed views of the relatively wealthy and powerful sub-section of society that currently clutter up their pages.
I'm not sure this issue here is the BPS approach, even though that philosoply underpins these tests. I have no problem with people (including me) being assessed on the basis of what we can do, rather than simply on our medical diagnoses. As far as I know, all the main medical charities - who all oppose the ATOS test - have no problem with that principle either.

The issue here is whether or not the test is fit for purpose: does it accuarately measure people's ability to work? And in this case I think Max Pemberton is on the money when he says:
I find it incredible that these practices – the way the company determines which applicants should or should not be awarded benefits – are not open to scientific scrutiny. They are, after all, administering a test. With any other test in medicine, a basic requirement is that the test demonstrates suitable sensitivity and specificity – in this case, that it can accurately identify those who should be receiving benefit.
Whether the fault lies with Atos for the way it administers the tests or the Government for the way it has designed them, they are not fit for purpose. The tests and criteria used must be open to scrutiny by researchers and academics, so that their effectiveness can be monitored, just as is expected of other tests administered in medicine.

If I developed a test for cancer that was no better than tossing a coin, it would be medically negligent for me to administer it. The same applies to these assessments. Given the stress and pressure they place vulnerable people under, it’s vital that we can rely on them to give clear, consistent and valid results. We need to halt this mess before more lives are ruined
In my book, this is a good thing to say, not a bad thing, regardless of the author. OK, he hasn't done much homework: the goverment itself came up with the 'descriptors' that specify what counts as suitablility for work. It was kicked off by Labour and continued by the Coalition so has the support of the three largest poliical parties in Britain. (Marvellous). ATOS just made a bad situation worse with it's contrary application of bad rules. At no point has the government or ATOS producedc any evidence that these tests are fit for purpose.
Pemberton's articles are a fine illustration of the way that many people in this country engage with complicated issues, and the faith that they seem to have in their own instinctive beliefs and virtue
I think you might be able to broaden that out to "humans".
I fear that people buy the newspapers precisely for those ill-informed and inflammatory views

alex3619

I do have a question about all this. Given the decline in newspaper standards of reporting, where do people go for reliable in depth information? The internet? I don't think the internet is particularly reliable, even though I blog. Its very much a case of find out for yourself now. No sources are reliable all the time.

Esther12

I'm not sure this issue here is the BPS approach, even though that philosoply underpins these tests. I have no problem with people (including me) being assessed on the basis of what we can do, rather than simply on our medical diagnoses. As far as I know, all the main medical charities - who all oppose the ATOS test - have no problem with that principle either.

The issue here is whether or not the test is fit for purpose: does it accuarately measure people's ability to work?

I really disagree. Also, while I don't know much about these organisations, I read that the major insider disability charities were resigned to the adoption of a biopsychosocial approach, rather than unconcerned by it.

Can you honestly imagine the DWP coming up with any BPS assessment which treated patients reasonably? The move to BPS was driven by a desire to save money, and the realisation that this could be excused with caring, paternalistic language about improving the lives of the disabled. The fact that the benefits of BPS approaches have been so spun and exaggerated meant that BPS welfare reforms were always going to be founded upon quackery which harmed patients - and so it has turned out to be. And so it will turn out to be again as DLA changes to PIP. So long as it's thought sensible to assume medical staff can just take positions of psychosocial expertise over patients simply because they have health problems, rather than something like identifiable cognitive distortions or emotional problems, this sort of imagined knowledge and power is going to be used to undermine the claims of patients.

I wasn't able to find the piece I wanted on this (there's a really funny training document that praises a doctor for arbitrarily deciding that 60% of a patients leg pain is a result of psychosocial factors, so that are not eligible for DLA), and the article this quote links to is now off-line, but I expect that you're already familiar with how the BPS approach is being used anyway:

NEW GENUINELY DISABLED TEST TO CUT DLA & AA AWARDS
Doctors carrying out DLA and AA medicals are being trained in a new method of assessing claimants which claims to discover if they are "genuinely living the life of a disabled person". An example of a new Biopsychosocial assessment seen by Benefits and Work resulted in a claimant with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome losing his higher rate mobility component on the grounds that his condition was 60% "psychosocial". The new system will be aimed particularly at claimants with "medically unexplained" conditions such as ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, low back pain and IBS.
Find out more from this link:
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=639
The top part of ATOS's customer charter states:

We will conduct a fair, accurate and objective assessment of how you are affected by your health condition. This will help the DWP to decide on your entitlement.

http://www.atoshealthcare.com/claimants/our_customer_charter

Does anyone here think that this is possible? Never mind the fact that they clearly fail to conduct fair, accurate and objective assessments of how people are affected by their health conditions, is it even a reasonable aim? If they were a truly wonderful company, working in perfect conditions, and following perfect criteria, could such a thing be achieved? Of course it could not.

We do not have nearly sufficient understanding of all manner of medical problems to allow objective assessments of how they affect people.

jimells

"Follow the money" came to mind while reading the article. How is ATOS compensated? Do they get a bonus for rejecting claims? I supposed the contract is a "commercial secret", so no one is allowed to see it.

If ATOS is administering 'government tests', then obviously the tests are public, not a 'commercial secret'. This is so typical of privatisation schemes. They almost always stink to high heaven.

beaverfury

beaverfury
Dont ask too much from mass media. I thought the general tone of this piece was compassionate, and that falls on the bonus side of the ledger when narratives are dispersed to the public.

First line
"It is roundly accepted that a society can be judged on how it treats its weakest members". Thats got to be good.
It challenges anyone to think the converse.

Yes, i did read some of his earlier articles. No,I dont have any knowledge of UK situation.