• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Live Wheatgrass

Have done a search on here but not found too much info.
Do any of you have feedback good or bad about using live wheatgrass?
It helped pick me up a few months after I was diagnosed, and I took it for a few months.Now I feel I my body needs it again, so am trying it again to see if it wil pick me back up to where I was before a few relapses.
Thanks in anticipation. x

xrunner

I used it for about a year before a major relapse.
Make sure you wash it well (though it may not be enough) and there's no mold at the root or you can pick up all sorts of critters...That applies to any type of raw food.

http://bacteriality.com/2008/05/26/biofilm/
How else do we acquire biofilm bacteria?

As discussed thus far, biofilms form spontaneously as bacteria inside the human body group together. Yet people can also ingest biofilms by eating contaminated food.
According to researchers at the University of Guelph in Ontario Canada, it is increasingly suspected that biofilms play an important role in contamination of meat during processing and packaging. The group warns that greater action must be taken to reduce the presence of food-borne pathogens like Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes and spoilage microorganisms such as the Pseudomonas species (all of which form biofilms) throughout the food processing chain to ensure the safety and shelf-life of the product. Most of these microorganisms are ubiquitous in the environment or brought into processing facilities through healthy animal carriers.
Hans Blaschek of the University of Illinois has discovered that biofilms form on much of the other food products we consume as well.
17.jpg

A biofilm on a piece of lettuce
“If you could see a piece of celery that’s been magnified 10,000 times, you’d know what the scientists fighting foodborne pathogens are up against,” says Blaschek.
“It’s like looking at a moonscape, full of craters and crevices. And many of the pathogens that cause foodborne illness, such as Shigella, E. coli, and Listeria, make sticky, sugary biofilms that get down in these crevices, stick like glue, and hang on like crazy.”

According to Blaschek, the problem faced by produce suppliers can be a triple whammy. “If you’re unlucky enough to be dealing with a pathogen–and the pathogen has the additional attribute of being able to form biofilm—and you’re dealing with a food product that’s minimally processed, well, you’re triply unlucky,” the scientist said. “You may be able to scrub the organism off the surface, but the cells in these biofilms are very good at aligning themselves in the subsurface areas of produce.”

Scott Martin, a University of Illinois food science and human nutrition professor agrees, stating,”Once the pathogenic organism gets on the product, no amount of washing will remove it. The microbes attach to the surface of produce in a sticky biofilm, and washing just isn’t very effective.”

Biofilms can even be found in processed water. Just this month, a study was released in which researchers at the Department of Biological Sciences, at Virginia Polytechnic Institute isolated M. avium biofilm from the shower head of a woman with M. avium pulmonary disease.[25] A molecular technique called DNA fingerprinting demonstrated that M. avium isolates from the water were the same forms that were causing the woman’s respiratory illness.

Thanks Xrunner, where you taking any other supplements or medication in that year?
Why did you stop taking Wheatgrass? How did you find it help you?

(Mine comes prepared from a local company, I dont do it myself).

GhostGum

I wish I did not read that, thanks xrunner :D

Tried growing wheat grass once with little success, just went mouldy; also planned to use a juice bar each day for a wheat grass shot until I saw how tiny the shot was for $3.

Is suppose to be an incredible 'super food' though. Needed some spirulina today so got some wheat grass powder with it, not sure how that compares with the real thing but will see how it goes.

Well, I have been taking wheatgrass for 5 days now. I noticed I felt a bit stronger yesterday, and again today. :)
I know its early days, and crashes will still happen, but while it lasts, I am going to enjoy feeling a bit better, still carefully pacing.
Will try to keep you updated. :thumbsup:

taniaaust1

Wheatgrass is one of the very few things Ive found to be helpful. I used to grow it outside in soil in half a wine barrel (which used to give me heaps) and then juice it (it takes a lot of wheat grass to just get a little bit of juice). I'd then mix this with pineapple juice and drink. I felt good effects from it within the first week (it made me feel healthier ..so was working against that malaise feeling). It definately seemed to be helping me get something I need.

I stopped doing this as it was just a nightmare to juice it. I cant remember now how much per day I was having (I only was taking it once a day) but it would of been a Tablespoon or less so GhostGum if you had those shots for a week (as long as they are organic) you could notice it doing something good.

I tried spirulina pills for a week or two in the past but didnt notice any positive effect from those.. the wheatgrass thing I did with fresh juice of it was obviously a lot stronger.

I can imagine how much work it is to keep a good supply of it in the bodys system. Luckily I have found a local supplier.
For the first two or three weeks I am taking 2oz/30g each morning with apple and mango juice. It isnt cheap, it costs me just over £2 each day.
It did cross my mind to have a go at making it myself but tbh this way is clean and easy.;)
I do grow a fair bit of my veg and salad and fruit, although this year havent been well enough to do as much as usual.

xrunner

Thanks Xrunner, where you taking any other supplements or medication in that year?
Why did you stop taking Wheatgrass? How did you find it help you?

(Mine comes prepared from a local company, I dont do it myself).
You're welcome. At the time I was taking an activated b complex, an antidepressant for sleep whilst trying all sorts of "superfoods" such as various algae including spirulina, green juices, etc. I believe my illness was already under way although I managed to continue with an almost normal life for some time.

The wheatgrass was a tonic, it helped with energy levels as I was finding it increasingly difficult to spare any after work and at weekends.
In restrospect, I think it and the other stuff, contributed to throw things further out of balance and worsen my health as a result. When I got really sick I just couldn't tolerate it any longer.

Thanks again Xrunner for your reply

With your retrospect, do you mean you were tempted to push yourself further whilst taking wheatgrass and other products?

I am feeling better each day and am trying really hard to stay pacing as I was, rather than be tempted to do oooo just that little bit more. This, I think will be another one of those fine lines of balance.

Ghostgum, 'Needed some spirulina today so got some wheat grass powder with it, not sure how that compares with the real thing but will see how it goes'. How are you, have you noticed any diference yet?

xrunner

I felt less fatigued on it. I guess it's a bit of a stimulant because it pushed me to do more than my body could handle at the time. On the other hand, I needed to work and couldn't see an alternative.
In my case anything I tried that gave me more energy but didn't remove the causes of my fatigue (microbes and toxins) got me worse eventually.

As for spirulina, which I also supplemented for a long time, you may want to check the risk of developing a B12 functional deficiency. Most of the B12 in it is an inactive analogue which may worsen deficiencies which a few of us seem to have already.