• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another hypnotist claims he can cure ME??? (Steven Blake)

maddietod

Hi, Steven. I read the information at the link given, and I didn't find a guarantee anywhere. I saw a price for one session + one follow-up within 3 months, but I looked in vain for either a money-back or a complete cure guarantee. Would you post a link?

I think you've got an internally consistent theory here, but you might have left out a piece. That being the bit where the triggering invader not only requires us to rest, but also immediately starts damaging us faster than we can repair ourselves.

Madie

Bemused is probably the last word I would use to describe my thoughts about this issue.

Actually, the unconscious refers to processes in the mind that occur automatically and are not available to our conscious mind. It refers to thought processes, memory, affect and motivation.

It does not refer to autonomic/parasympathetic processes that control our blood pressure, temperature, cell renewal etc. I don't think you can reinvent the wheel here. Hypnosis is actually used for relaxation too, so maybe can have an effect on some autonomic functioning like a slight decrease in BP. As far as being any kind of therapy for ME, I just don't see it's possible except as a therapy to help a person cope with it.

Hasn't this kind of therapy been debunked as not scientifically valid?

The way the neurology works is not restricted to just Chronic Fatigue and Pain I feel that it is an integral part of all illnesses. For instance I have just helped someone recover from a life of "living on her nerves" who for many years has had serious stomach problems. She has had every test going to no avail, as she recovered from her nerves the stomach problems stopped immediately. You are not alone in having many other add on illnesses as your immune system overloads it then cannot fight off things that would not normally get to you. The great news is that the tests can't find anything wrong with you! Can't promise anything but would be willing to give you a free session to see if we could find something that could intervene (over Skype).

Hi, Steven. I read the information at the link given, and I didn't find a guarantee anywhere. I saw a price for one session + one follow-up within 3 months, but I looked in vain for either a money-back or a complete cure guarantee. Would you post a link?

I think you've got an internally consistent theory here, but you might have left out a piece. That being the bit where the triggering invader not only requires us to rest, but also immediately starts damaging us faster than we can repair ourselves.

Madie
A very good point Maddie. my clients so far had it for several years so I suppose the "trigger" illness damage had had time to recover. I need to think about that, thanks for raising it.

It is my belief that the symptoms and biology related to having the illness are that a specific or several parts of the body no longer work they should and that the immune system overloads, causing traces of things to appear ether through lack of production or overproduction. When the body is allowed to go into recovery it will then start producing the right things. I feel that too often the mass of differing symptoms overwhelms the search for the root cause. When I first approached this it was the multitude of symptoms and effects that initially I found somewhat daunting. It was when i started looking for the similarities that the root cause came to me. Quite frankly it was my lack of a medical background that let me see past the technicalities!

Yes, but how does hypnosis treat any biological imbalances.

Perhaps, your lack of medical background is causing you to believe something that you shouldn't!!

SilverbladeTE

Steve
the ONLY thing your therapy could help with in this illness, is reduce stress levels, which can improve quality of life, and that may well be useful.
This illness reacts severely to any form of stress, and by that I mean "stressors" not merely emotional stress, and so it seems your mood can make your symptoms worse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stressor

some may disagree with me on this of coruse, but it's logical and seen in other illnesses, too to an extent.
I.e. your body picks up any form of stress as indication of what it believes is infection, so ramps up the "attack" on what it wrongly thinks is an ongoing infection...making you worse.
But, it's only to a degree that such occurs with emotional stress, and it sure as hell doesn't cause it nor can you be cured by removing emotional stress. It is merely a "worsening factor".
This is where some psychiatrists have fallen, or deliberately walked into, a logical trap (or just bloody made stuff up to suit themselves).

This illness is NOT caused by mental stress, worsening of health due to mental stress (amongst other forms) is a *symptom* of the illness, not cause, and primarily, infection is the worst trigger for worsening this illness.
The pain I had when I had Norovirus infections twice in a row earlier this year, was horrific, I really should have asked for morphine-type of pain relief, but didn't want more hassle or to infect the emergency doctor who'd need ot have come out.
I've had kidney stones, meingitis, been eletrocuted and fried by red hot metal, I used to be able to control/deal with pain very well from meditation and other things I've learned, I know what pain is bloody well like and M.E. pain in severity is bloody awful.
AND
I've experienced horrible crap most folk hopefully will never know and yet that horrible crap sure as hell never triggered illness for me, I dealt with it very well actually.
One may have "bats in one's belfry" but it doesn't turn you into a plague ridden zombie! :p

You hear folk liek myself and others on this forum and its ilk, people who have courage, determination, who were once bright, driven, peopel above the norm, for many of thsoe who were "normal" or have it too severe are bloody DEVASTATED by this vile illness
ie it whinnows the wheat from the chaff (*), so you get higher reporting of this illness form folk with gumption etc
(*)no offence meant, there is no such thing as "ubermensch"
this leads to again, bloody stupid misinterpretations of such data, that it's "driven folk" who suffer from ME because their mindset "drives them into burning out"
BULLSHIT!
Oridnary folk get it too, but they mostly suffer in silence because they are so shattered or too afraid because of the evil hysteria, prejudice, abuse and sheer bloody bigotry we suffer.
it is no different to the crap HIV, AIDS, Tuberculosis and Multiple Sclerosis patients suffered in times by.

Mind doesn't cause illness except by destructive *actions* (ie drug addiction): the mind experiences and interprets the effects of illness.
M.E. drives folk to suicide, it's that bad, but that's the only way the Mind causes severe issues in this case.

However, since M.E. is a *lethal* illness, it causes organic death, and it is from best we know to day, largely an autoimmune disease, you had best be VERY careful about how you speak/treat folk with this illness for obvious reasons.

Please read this,

l1.jpg

"SHE DIED AS A RSULT OF ACUTE RENAL FAILURE ARISING FROM THE EFFECTS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME"

You have now seen an official, English death certificate. You know know that M.E. is a lethal organic illness.
If you wish to provide counselling, stress relief and such to sufferers, I wish you well :)

pollycbr125

Steve it is a myth that people with ME do not have abnormal test results see my previous post on this thread .

you said quote ..... The great news is that the tests can't find anything wrong with you!

A very good point Maddie. my clients so far had it for several years so I suppose the "trigger" illness damage had had time to recover. I need to think about that, thanks for raising it.
Sorry I didn't respond to the guarantee, this was someone posting out of context my other services. I always try and guarantee my work so that the client has piece of mind and knows the cost up front. It also ensures that I get feedback if they are not fully happy with the results and that enables me to refine and develop the treatment.
With ME it is difficult to give that same guarantee as so many other factors affect reaching full recovery, including damage caused, diet and over exertion before recovery. I do guarantee it as a kick start to recovery and back it up with a free review session. Obviously at the first session I would not carry out treatment if the client was not suitable, and I would repeat (FREE) as necessary if I did take them on until it kick started!

pollycbr125

I do guarantee it as a kick start to recovery and back it up with a free review session. Obviously at the first session I would not carry out treatment if the client was not suitable,

who would you class as not suitable ?

Steve it is a myth that people with ME do not have abnormal test results see my previous post on this thread .

you said quote ..... The great news is that the tests can't find anything wrong with you!
Sorry replying to too many people at once. What I meant to say was that no other things being wrong were mentioned. I have many people visit when they have had all the tests any nothing has been found (not talking ME here). They look devastated but to me that is great news.

Steve
the ONLY thing your therapy could help with in this illness, is reduce stress levels, which can improve quality of life, and that may well be useful.
This illness reacts severely to any form of stress, and by that I mean "stressors" not merely emotional stress, and so it seems your mood can make your symptoms worse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stressor

some may disagree with me on this of coruse, but it's logical and seen in other illnesses, too to an extent.
I.e. your body picks up any form of stress as indication of what it believes is infection, so ramps up the "attack" on what it wrongly thinks is an ongoing infection...making you worse.
But, it's only to a degree that such occurs with emotional stress, and it sure as hell doesn't cause it nor can you be cured by removing emotional stress. It is merely a "worsening factor".
This is where some psychiatrists have fallen, or deliberately walked into, a logical trap (or just bloody made stuff up to suit themselves).

This illness is NOT caused by mental stress, worsening of health due to mental stress (amongst other forms) is a *symptom* of the illness, not cause, and primarily, infection is the worst trigger for worsening this illness.
The pain I had when I had Norovirus infections twice in a row earlier this year, was horrific, I really should have asked for morphine-type of pain relief, but didn't want more hassle or to infect the emergency doctor who'd need ot have come out.
I've had kidney stones, meingitis, been eletrocuted and fried by red hot metal, I used to be able to control/deal with pain very well from meditation and other things I've learned, I know what pain is bloody well like and M.E. pain in severity is bloody awful.
AND
I've experienced horrible crap most folk hopefully will never know and yet that horrible crap sure as hell never triggered illness for me, I dealt with it very well actually.
One may have "bats in one's belfry" but it doesn't turn you into a plague ridden zombie! :p

You hear folk liek myself and others on this forum and its ilk, people who have courage, determination, who were once bright, driven, peopel above the norm, for many of thsoe who were "normal" or have it too severe are bloody DEVASTATED by this vile illness
ie it whinnows the wheat from the chaff (*), so you get higher reporting of this illness form folk with gumption etc
(*)no offence meant, there is no such thing as "ubermensch"
this leads to again, bloody stupid misinterpretations of such data, that it's "driven folk" who suffer from ME because their mindset "drives them into burning out"
BULLSHIT!
Oridnary folk get it too, but they mostly suffer in silence because they are so shattered or too afraid because of the evil hysteria, prejudice, abuse and sheer bloody bigotry we suffer.
it is no different to the crap HIV, AIDS, Tuberculosis and Multiple Sclerosis patients suffered in times by.

Mind doesn't cause illness except by destructive *actions* (ie drug addiction): the mind experiences and interprets the effects of illness.
M.E. drives folk to suicide, it's that bad, but that's the only way the Mind causes severe issues in this case.

However, since M.E. is a *lethal* illness, it causes organic death, and it is from best we know to day, largely an autoimmune disease, you had best be VERY careful about how you speak/treat folk with this illness for obvious reasons.

Please read this,

l1.jpg

You have now seen an official, English death certificate. You know know that M.E. is a lethal organic illness.
If you wish to provide counselling, stress relief and such to sufferers, I wish you well :)

Thanks, I do have the deepest respect for people suffering from this and this is why I do what I do. I know I cannot help everyone and I have alleviated people from many years of suffering so far so will obviously go on doing that. It really doesn't matter whether the ones I helped had ME CFS or Fibro or were misdiagnosed with it, all I know is they have a far better life and had suffered for many years. I wish you well and thank you for your input to the debate.

Yes, but how does hypnosis treat any biological imbalances.

Perhaps, your lack of medical background is causing you to believe something that you shouldn't!!
I do work that is all about the whole person. Our neurology has an overall controller, the unconscious. In the main it gets everything right and is great at helping us survive. Sometimes it gets it wrong and over reacts. So for instance with Hayfever 8 out of ten people don't get it so it can't be the pollen, it has to be that persons reaction. I can help them turn off that over-reaction permanently it takes about 15 minutes!

I do guarantee it as a kick start to recovery and back it up with a free review session. Obviously at the first session I would not carry out treatment if the client was not suitable,

who would you class as not suitable ?
Treatment relies on rapport and trust between us. I also need to get the person past the sceptical stage, so if I cannot explain it well enough that they understand how it works - then it won't!

It tends to be that people will not get better if the can't believe they can - so it's my job to convince them - before treatment starts.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
... It really doesn't matter whether the ones I helped had ME CFS or Fibro or were misdiagnosed with it, all I know is they have a far better life and had suffered for many years. I wish you well and thank you for your input to the debate.
(my bolding)

It does matter when you write about specifically helping those with ME/CFS on this forum. This is a forum for those correctly diagnosed with this devastating illness. If you have helped patients who have the extremely abnormal lab tests that point to ME/CFS, then tell us about those patients and their before and after tests.

Sushi

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I also need to get the person past the sceptical stage, so if I cannot explain it well enough that they understand how it works - then it won't!

So far I don't see any explanation that addresses the specific physical pathologies of the disease, or any sign that the proposed therapy is based on a coherent theory of the disease or even an understanding of basic biology. People are free to engage in faith healing if they want; but I don't think you will find many supporters here of the concept that ME/CFS is the result of some sort of spiritual malaise.

(my bolding)

It does matter when you write about specifically helping those with ME/CFS on this forum. This is a forum for those correctly diagnosed with this devastating illness. If you have helped patients who have the extremely abnormal lab tests that point to ME/CFS, then tell us about those patients and their before and after tests.

Sushi
I can do nothing right on here. My point is I investigated a theory treated 4 people who were diagnosed with it and they all recovered. I expected a bit of support and encouragement on here - yes that does make me naive. Thanks for the debate, I'll leave now perhaps it was just a fantastic coincidence, and that all the people I treat with other illnesses have great coincidences as well.