• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Omega 3 : Suggestions and Dosage

arx

Hi,
I have read a lot about Omega 3 ,fish oils and are said to be very good for neuro-regeneration and essential for myelin sheathing of the nerves. I am doing Freddd's protocol. He has receommended 2-6 + capsules a day. I take three capsules of Maxepa( EPA 180 mg and DHA 120 mg) daily.

When I check out iherb, all the omega 3 products include EPA,DHA and other things like natural fish oil concentrate. You can see here:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Omega-3-Molecularly-Distilled-Cholesterol-Free-500-Softgels/18104
(The amount per serving is the amount in 2 capsules)

This fish oil concentrate is 1000 mg in each capsule! There is also Omega 3 fatty acids and other omega 3 fatty acids. Are all of them helpful?

I ask this because the product I take has only EPA and DHA, and I see other things also present, esp. fish oil concentrate in a 1000 mg quantity/capsule. The quantity seems too much to me when compared to the EPA and DHA. If you have any suggestions for Omega 3 products and something to share, please do. It will be very helpful to me.

Thanks.

A lot of Paleo folks use strongerfasterhealthier brand which contains like 1000 mg of DHA and 1500mg EPA per teaspoon (which would be like 12 of a lot of generic brand fish oil pills), but it is expensive! (not nec that expensive per gram of DHA, but still...). I think more than strength (and it is DHA+EPA numbers you are looking at, the other fats we don't care about really), it is about purity and freshness (personally I would never trust fish oil that keeps in a capsule at room temperature rather than a refrigerated liquid, but that's just me) Make sure whatever fish oil manufacturer you are using has a Certificate of Analysis examining for heavy metals.

Here's a good overview of things to look for:
http://chriskresser.com/the-definitive-fish-oil-buyers-guide

I know Country Life, Omega Maine, and Jarrow are all soy free. And I believe Omega Maine has a COA showing that they have no heavy metals in their oil. I use SFH personally, though when i can't get it or can't afford it I use Natural Factors RXOmega3 which has 400/200 DHA/EPA which is the highest I've foiund in its price range (but uses soy for vit E I believe and I'm not sure about a COA)

caledonia

I used Omega Rx for many years, but am switching to Carlson's to reduce cost. The Omega Rx has twice the EPA and DHA of other brands so you only have to use half.
Forget about capsules and go for liquid which you keep in the fridge. Much easier than swallowing yet more capsules. I believe liquid is also cheaper.

Thanks for the Fish Oil Buyers Guide.

maddietod

I also see Dr. Rey. Her recommendation of 4,000mg of Omega 3 is part of a regimen to increase natural killer cell activity. I think she also refers to this as an antioxidant regimen......but I'm not sure.
The rest of the protocol is 200mg CoQ10 (or 100mg if taken as ubiquinol), 2000mg vitamin C, plus b12 and vitamin D to get levels into the normal range.

*GG*

I also see Dr. Rey. Her recommendation of 4,000mg of Omega 3 is part of a regimen to increase natural killer cell activity. I think she also refers to this as an antioxidant regimen......but I'm not sure.
The rest of the protocol is 200mg CoQ10 (or 100mg if taken as ubiquinol), 2000mg vitamin C, plus b12 and vitamin D to get levels into the normal range.

Nice to hear, my prescription of Lovaza is 4 grams/day. I take 4 to 5 grams of Vitamin C a day, B Vitamins "prescribed" by my Dr, and I take CoQ10 of 60mg/day.

Never heard/read this is good for NKC activity!

GG

Hope123

There is evidence in some autoimmune diseases that 3-4 grams of Omega 3 a day reduces inflammation so Dr. Klimas recommended to me.

Consider getting fish oil that specifically says something like "mercury free" on it.

arx

A lot of Paleo folks use strongerfasterhealthier brand which contains like 1000 mg of DHA and 1500mg EPA per teaspoon (which would be like 12 of a lot of generic brand fish oil pills), but it is expensive! (not nec that expensive per gram of DHA, but still...). I think more than strength (and it is DHA+EPA numbers you are looking at, the other fats we don't care about really), it is about purity and freshness (personally I would never trust fish oil that keeps in a capsule at room temperature rather than a refrigerated liquid, but that's just me) Make sure whatever fish oil manufacturer you are using has a Certificate of Analysis examining for heavy metals.

Here's a good overview of things to look for:
http://chriskresser.com/the-definitive-fish-oil-buyers-guide

I know Country Life, Omega Maine, and Jarrow are all soy free. And I believe Omega Maine has a COA showing that they have no heavy metals in their oil. I use SFH personally, though when i can't get it or can't afford it I use Natural Factors RXOmega3 which has 400/200 DHA/EPA which is the highest I've foiund in its price range (but uses soy for vit E I believe and I'm not sure about a COA)

Thanks a lot for the information and the link. Very helpful.

GcMAF Australia

looking at omega 3 fatty acids
may be good for inflammation
omega 3 may help digestive systemFlaxseed oil consists of approximately 55% ALA, which makes it six times richer than most fish oils in omega 3 fatty acids