• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xifaxan/Rifaximim

Waverunner

I've just bought some from www.alldaychemist.com. Fortunately they don't require a prescription. That would have been a deal breaker for me as I also don't use doctors anymore.

Is Rifaximin prescription free?

http://www.alldaychemist.com/content/9-faq

Q.4 Do I require a prescription to order from your company?
A prescription is needed for prescription medicines. The same may be sent by e-mail (as a scan) or by fax to our number +1-760-2845903.

orion

Is Rifaximin prescription free?

http://www.alldaychemist.com/content/9-faq

Q.4 Do I require a prescription to order from your company?
A prescription is needed for prescription medicines. The same may be sent by e-mail (as a scan) or by fax to our number +1-760-2845903.

They just put that stuff on their website to cover themselves. In reality, you can just leave the prescription details blank when you order, and they'll still send you the medicine. In fact, in my experience, none of the pharmacies based in India really seem to care about prescriptions (thank god) unlike the control freakery you get in supposedly "free" western countries.

Waverunner

They just put that stuff on their website to cover themselves. In reality, you can just leave the prescription details blank when you order, and they'll still send you the medicine. In fact, in my experience, none of the pharmacies based in India really seem to care about prescriptions (thank god) unlike the control freakery you get in supposedly "free" western countries.

Yes, I agree. It's funny that this is called "freedom" at all. Patients are forced to spend money, just to talk to someone who then decides what is best while at the same time he may have gotten his knowledge 30 years ago at university. There are only little incentives for the patient to interfere with personal healthcare because there is no chance to take responsibility. The lack of freedom to buy what the patient thinks is right for him drives up healthcare cost and this is what we see today.

daniariete2000

Rifaximin can't work against prevotella since it is an anaerobic one.

What about antibiotic resistance of rifaximin ?

Thanks

Daniele

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Rifaximin can't work against prevotella since it is an anaerobic one.

Thanks

Daniele

Yes, prevotella is anaerobic but rifaximin is often prescribed for it. It was for me and I had very good results.

http://www.drugs.com/monograph/rifaximin.html

Other bacteria: Has in vitro activity against Acinetobacter, Aeromonas, Bacillus, Bacteroides, Bifidobacterium, Campylobacter jejuni, Clostridium difficile, Enterobacter cloacae, Fusobacterium, Helicobacter, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Plesiomonas shigelloides, Peptostreptococcus, Prevotella, Proteus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella (groups C1 and C2), Shigella (including S. dysenteriae, S. flexneri, S. sonnei), Serratia, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, Vibrio, and Yersinia enterocolitica.2 11 Also active in vitro against Cryptosporidium and Giardia.2

CBS

Thanks

Daniele

Several recent studies have shown that the risk of developing antibiotic resistance is low in Rifaxamin. This recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found few adverse reactions. NEJM 2011

There are a number of other studies that have looked at repeated use and found that the risk is low when Rifaxamin used for 10-14 days periods 3-4 times per year.

Dufresne

almost there...
Hi Sushi,

I'm trying to find a cheap supplier of generic Rifaximin. I called the "Canadian" Pharmacy you mentioned and was surprised to learn they don't deliver to Canada. Isn't this drug still under patent protection in the states? Yet only an American can order a generic form of it from a pharmacy with headquarters in Washington that claims to be Canadian. If my brain fog wasn't that bad when I got up, it is now.

Can I ask what price you paid?

Does anybody else know of a reliable, cheap source? I have a prescription.

Sushi

Hi Sushi,

I'm trying to find a cheap supplier of generic Rifaximin. I called the "Canadian" Pharmacy you mentioned and was surprised to learn they don't deliver to Canada. Isn't this drug still under patent protection in the states? Yet only an American can order a generic form of it from a pharmacy with headquarters in Washington that claims to be Canadian. If my brain fog wasn't that bad when I got up, it is now.

Can I ask what price you paid?

Does anybody else know of a reliable, cheap source? I have a prescription.

Yes, pretty weird! As I remember it was about $37 per hundred plus shipping, but my memory could be wrong. Someone else said they got it from:

Originally Posted by orion
I've just bought some from www.alldaychemist.com. Fortunately they don't require a prescription. That would have been a deal breaker for me as I also don't use doctors anymore

And someone in Australia mentioned getting the generic at a very good price---Heaps? Can't remember.

Best,
Sushi

beaverfury

beaverfury
After taking the Rifaximin what do you do to replace gut flora? Wish they would hurry up with their fecal transplant
technology. Preferably in an enteric coated pill.

Im keen to try Rifaximin so i guess i will drink as much kefir, eat as much sauerkraut, and take many probiotic pills afterwards. Wiping out my hard earned gut flora is not something i take lightly, especially in view of some of the research coming out lately.

Rockt

Does anyone know how things are going for people who've tried this drug. Are people (presumably on a maintenance dose) who've improved dramatically staying well or relapsing. Does anyone know if "Esther" has reamined well?

Sushi

Does anyone know how things are going for people who've tried this drug. Are people (presumably on a maintenance dose) who've improved dramatically staying well or relapsing. Does anyone know if "Esther" has reamined well?

Hi Rockt,

I am experimenting with an 8 day course (550 mg per day) every other month. Too soon to tell how this will work out as I've just completed the first course (it helped a lot).

Sushi

Aidan Walsh

For what it's worth, I've taken both rifampin and rifaximin (for different reasons). I was prescribed a "rifaximin chaser" which consisted for 2 weeks of oral vancomycin followed by 2 weeks of rifaximin: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/744157 This was for C. difficile which I had for 11 long months. This therapy did cure my C. difficile.

I was recently on rifampin (300 mg bid) and 100 mg doxy bid for a chronic Cpn infection. My IgA antibody titer went from >=1:256 to <1:16. Yeah! I recently went off those antibiotics and I'm hoping the Cpn does not return.

Best, Timaca
how long on the Cpn meds was that testing done with Stratton at Vanderbilt I am positive to Cpn from Vanderbilt untreated in the U.K. they think 4 days or 2 weeks of antibiotics cures illness...Behind the times here

antares4141

I did a 10 day course 500mg twice daily xfaxin. Didn't do anything buy maybe make me a little more anxious maybe. Although about 2 months later I did a 10 day course of cephalexin 3 500mg daily and than another 10 days or so of amoxicillian 2 500mg daily. those made a profound difference in my symptoms. Brain fog, fatigue, pem fm symptoms all down drastically. But after about 2 months they all came back. So might not want to give up on the idea of abx if the xfaxin doesn't work! Maybe it helped pave the way for the later dose to have the effect it did. Reason I thought xfaxin was ineffective & a bad choice is because it is limited to digestive trac. And if there is any truth to the "leaky gut" theory than I would think you would want to hit your mesentery tissue also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesentery