• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Second edition of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Treatment Guide

richvank

Hi, all.

Erica Verrillo has written a second edition of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Treatment Guide. It has just come out at Amazon for Kindle and at Barnes and Noble for Nook. The price is only $2.99.

This is an excellent book, and I highly recommend it as a very comprehensive source of information on all aspects of ME/CFS, including very readable discussions of the research, including the early research, as well as explanatory models, symptoms, and the whole range of treatments including alternative as well as pharmaceutical.

Best regards,

Rich

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Your link it to the first edition, not the second edition. As far as I can tell, the second edition is only available as a Nook book.
Sorry - that was all I found. Maybe it's going to be uploaded later? I'll remove my link from that post.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
As far as I can tell, the second edition is only available as a Nook book.
I certainly hope not. This is hardly a population with a lot of expendable income to spend on specialized electronic reading devices.

GracieJ

Just downloaded the book. Thank you! It is great to see sound ME/CFS literature more and more.

I do hope there is a print version at some point. Although this is the trend for publishing, tangible in-the-hands books are still needed and wanted.

Little Bluestem: totally understand. I read a lot -- especially now I have a brain back! -- and planned carefully to invest in a kindle, totally considering it a "medical" expense as necessary as any regimen or protocol out there. Now I can afford the books I was passing up again and again that probably had the information I needed years ago.

Andrew

Too bad she didn't go with a publishing service that does print on demand. Like Maija Haavisto did.

Note: I should add that I own the first edition, and I thought it was one of the better overviews I've read.

jeffrez

I certainly hope not. This is hardly a population with a lot of expendable income to spend on specialized electronic reading devices.

You can read most if not all ebooks on any PC with a multitude of free e-readers that are out there. Here's a few I found with just a quick google search: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/top-4-free-epub-reader-software/

Amazon even has a free desktop kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311
>oops, looks like Rich already posted that. : P

I use this app on linux, it's a very full featured ebooks manager w/ a built in reader, and has windows and mac versions:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Little Bluestem

GracieJ: I see that e-books, or at least this one, are less expensive that real books. That is certainly an advantage. Partly, I am just sort of a Luddite. I live in a very rural area and have no idea where I would buy a real e-reader and don’t want to spend the time and energy looking for one, as much as the money. The downloadable ones solve that problem.

I am also not set up to do internet purchases, so would have to solve that before I could buy e-books. I have dial-up internet access, so downloads take a long time. I’ve never tried to download something as large as a book. Downloading them at the local library and copying them onto CD might be a possibility. This will all require more time and energy. It is a lot simpler to go to the local library and get a book I want to read or go to the bookstore in a nearby town to get a book I want to own.

I bought the first edition when it came out in 1998, and I practically LIVED in that book. (I think I slept with it.) It was the absolute best book on treatments. I saw on Amazon that the new edition is about double the length of the first book, so I downloaded it onto my computer. (Very easy with the free app.) I have to say the second edition is really a tour de force. The new sections on causes and mechanisms is great. Having direct access to medical abstracts and articles is also a plus (and could only happen in an ebook.) Verrillo has CFS herself, so she really understands the need to keep explanations clear and to the point. I highly recommend this book.

Andrew

The new sections on causes and mechanisms is great. Having direct access to medical abstracts and articles is also a plus (and could only happen in an ebook.) Verrillo has CFS herself, so she really understands the need to keep explanations clear and to the point. I highly recommend this book.

Thanks for comparing the two. This helps those of us who own the first version. Funny thing, I was recently thinking that it's too bad they never updated this book, and here it is.

I wonder what happened to Lauren Gelman. She was co-author on the first edition.

Erica

Erica Verrillo
Lauren had a serious relapse just a couple of weeks after we began to discuss publishing an electronic second edition of the book. So, I had to write it alone. Ironically, it was my own relapse in 2007 that led to the second edition. The relapse forced me to catch up on the research I had missed while I'd been busy with other things.

jimells

GracieJ: ...I live in a very rural area and ...I have dial-up internet access, so downloads take a long time.

Hi bluestem, my situation is similar. I can't access most websites anymore, they are so bloated with junk unrelated to the actual info I am trying to read.

You can almost always buy stuff over the internet with any credit card or debit card. Pre-paid debit cards don't seem to work, since there is no name or address to verify before shipping. Earthlink (my dial-up provider) allows me to enter the routing and account number on my checking account.

The trend away from actual printing is very disturbing. While electronic books are convenient for many, they will not stand the test of time. How many people can still listen to cassette tapes? But I can still read the books I bought 40 years ago, without paying another fee or needing some fancy-dan electronic toy that will be obsolete and unsupported in a year or two.

Little Bluestem

I can still listen to cassette tapes in my 13-year-old car. ;)

I go into full Luddite mode when it comes to internet shopping. I canceled my credit card after the big data warehouse (Choice Point) hack. There is no way I would give anyone my checking account number and routing number online. I have heard that it is possible to set up a PayPal account using money orders, but that is quite a ways down the priority list.

I certainly agree with you about the websites loaded with junk. :mad:

Quick question:
I just bought this book on Amazon (thanks everyone) but have difficulty concentrating on a screen.
Is there anyway (I have the free Kindle to PC program) to save this to a PDF or other file in order to print it?
Thanks