• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Invisible Illness Week

roxie60

Hope this is ok to post. This week is Invisible Illness Week and this site is having presentations and info all week on how to deal with various situations for those with illnesses (chronic or otherwise) that just dont get much recognition (rmeinds me of all the times I was told 'But You dont look sick' so therefore in their mind I must not be ill).

Just for FYI in case it can help someone, not promoting, just offering as possible encouragement and source of ideas.

http://invisibleillnessweek.com/

hurtingallthetimet

thanks for posting roxie i had posted about finding that site awhile ago and love it but i cant do more than one site at time and so much going on right now...and plus i forget my password to it so have to look it up lol..

but thats wonderful that people are taking these illness more seriously "maybe" and theres show of support for us..

GracieJ

"But you look just fine. You look great."

These days, I shoot back "So does a car with a dead battery."

That shuts people up soooo fast!!!!

Thanks for the info.

hurtingallthetimet

thats a great comeback graciej.....its sad in a way that people still dont understand how bad these illness are....i am so afraid of being bedridden, my husband jokes cause i get up do a little and lay down...laying down more than up and he says thats being bedridden i just dont accept it...but im thankful for being able to force myself up and trust me i have to force myself to do much anymore....

ive said beofe many many times...i dont understand how an illness so debliltating its compared to ms..can be looked down on...its not just people say you look fine they expect you to act fine as many have expressed...and dont understand that at all....

GracieJ

thats a great comeback graciej.....its sad in a way that people still dont understand how bad these illness are....i am so afraid of being bedridden, my husband jokes cause i get up do a little and lay down...laying down more than up and he says thats being bedridden i just dont accept it...but im thankful for being able to force myself up and trust me i have to force myself to do much anymore....

ive said beofe many many times...i dont understand how an illness so debliltating its compared to ms..can be looked down on...its not just people say you look fine they expect you to act fine as many have expressed...and dont understand that at all....

It's amazing that if something is not believed, it can't be real... reasonable people retreating into denial... tell me, is the earth still flat??

I also was afraid of being bedridden. Then it happened.

My second husband would tell me I was fine, even on the days I dragged myself up, put snow boots and a coat over pajamas, and walked his son to the bus stop... felt like ten minutes later but was six hours later when I did it again to meet the bus. There came a day when I couldn't do it any longer, and all I got from him was disgust that I wasn't "doing my job."

We need Invisible Illness Week every week.