• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LAB RESULTS - Please help

37yo male, sick for over 6yrs now...fatty liver, high EBV, CMV, HHV6 IGG titers....wondering about methylation issues and also, I was taking glutathione (reduced oral 500mg) while back...should I go back to it? Please look over my most recent labs and give commentary.

I had high homcystine too a few months back...ususally don't see high homcystine w/ ample B12 levels...I got it down some w/ b-complex and TMG...but I wanted to throw that in in case it helps.

Also, my platelets, run about 150, my WBC is usually 4.1 - 5.0, and I have elevated uric acid sometimes which makes me suspect that I even have CFIDS because Dr. Cheney said in an article I read that people w/ CFS have low uric acid...

IGF-1 = 122 range: 109-307 FYI it was 213 2 yrs ago! I drink a lot of green tea now and take resveratrol could that be it?

B12 = 1356 range: 250-1100 FYI I take a lot of it because it was 600 in 2009 and I wanted to increase it

Free T3 = 2.9 range: 2.3-4.2
Free T4 = 0.82 range: 0.73-1.95
TSH = 1.4 "optimal" range: 0.2-2.0 FYI I was taking 15mg armour thyroid, now 30mg since this test

Serotonin = 76 range: 50-220

Total T = 213 range: 292-1052
Free T = 3.3 range: 4.8-25.0
DHT = 360 range: 160-719
DHEA = 272 range: 103-446
Prolactin = 5.1 range: 3-30
FSH = 10.3 range: 1.3-11.4
LH = 5.4 range: 1.2-7.8
Estradiol = <12 range: <63 FYI other tests done recently before this one the values were 15 and 24
SHBG = 48 range: 16-94
Albumin = 5.2 range: 2.9-5.0 FYI I threw this one in because it is consistently high for me

Ferritin = 363 range: 12-282 FYI serum Iron is high-end of normal but still normal as well as all other iron numbers

Vitamin D = 40 range: 30-100

I also have ALT liver enzyme number consistently high 55-70 usually...

I am looking for open commentary on all these labs and can provide more labs & info if needed. I am considering TRT

The only problem with TRT is that your body pretty much just shunts over responsibility for testosterone to your supplement then. How old are you? You might try supplementing DHEA (it could be higher) or even low dose HCG as well as dietary changes to increase test. Plenty about that on bodybuilder forums etc. You could also supplement more Vit D. Estradiol looks fine. Why are you taking thyroid supplements? Do they help? High albumin and high liver enzymes probably just a result of the body being under stress from your viral loads or other undetected pathogens) Could also be simple dehydration - how much water do you drink? are you sure? every day?

Can you afford the methylation panel?

oops, I see 37. so a bit young for TRT and a bit young for T to be that low. They are similar to my testosterone and free test levels as a 33 yr old male, and they have been like that for 4-5 years for me. I have test up to normal range, but free T is still low. I tried TRT for awhile before I got scared of it and I noticed an increased libido, but not increased mood or energy.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
If you could get your doctor to let you go on hcg for about 6 weeks and see if that will crank up your own Test. production.

It's a sub-Q injection and I can't think of the best dosage right off hand. It is around 250 - 300 mg(mcg) once or twice a week. Any more than that is going run your estrogen to high, but it looks like you have a little room with your estrogen if it is below <12.

Where did you have your labs done at?

My T has been low for AT LEAST 4yrs....I did a brief few months on shots, but my doctor at the time did it wrong and I eventually said no thanks because I did not not feel any better and it was all being converted to estrogen (man boobs), despite total T got up to almost 600. My endo prescribed HCG which I never took but still have, but she prescribed wayyyy to high of dose. I have considered HCG mono-therapy, but my LH & FSH are good and it is my understanding that it works better in cases where the testicles are fine but just are not getting enough stim from the brain??? Could it work for me even though my pituitary appears to be working okay???

DHEA - yes, it was low and I was on 50mg ever morning for a while but it got high so doctor told me to stop...also some liver concerns with it. Since becoming educated about health more with this CFIDS illness, yes I drink filtered or spring water only and ususally a gallon or more per day. I was tested for lyme at Igenix and was negative BTW. But I have never heard the viral load thing could contribute to albumin...is that a protective mechanism? I know that uric acid is supposed to be a powerful anti-oxidant too and mine is high. My gall bladder went out on my at 29yrs old, and then right before my 31st birthday my life changed and I have suffered since then...I am desperate so that is why I am considering T...I know 4 people in their 30's on Testosterone and they all say it has changed their lives...They do not have CFS/ME but I long to feel normal again and my new practicioner prescribed me bioidentical Testsoterone cream w/ a little bit of arimidex in it...I have refused to take it though up until now but I am getting desperate for somehting to help give me a boost.

I need to figure out the Ferritin thing...I assume it is inflammation in my liver perhaps? My liver and spleen are slightly larger end of normal via ultrasound. I am on thyroid because I am tired and unmotivated and my new practicioner said that my numbers should be better than they were so she wanted me to try it...A full grain seemed to help but then made me get HYPER symptoms so I have backed off that dose and we have been doing lab every 10weeks or so to try to dial it in....MY nodules disappeared though by taking it so I must have needed it!

Most of these labs done at well darn it I can't remember but not Labcorps....I will post the name as soon as i can...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
My T has been low for AT LEAST 4yrs....I did a brief few months on shots, but my doctor at the time did it wrong and I eventually said no thanks because I did not not feel any better and it was all being converted to estrogen (man boobs), despite total T got up to almost 600. My endo prescribed HCG which I never took but still have, but she prescribed wayyyy to high of dose. I have considered HCG mono-therapy, but my LH & FSH are good and it is my understanding that it works better in cases where the testicles are fine but just are not getting enough stim from the brain??? Could it work for me even though my pituitary appears to be working okay???

DHEA - yes, it was low and I was on 50mg ever morning for a while but it got high so doctor told me to stop...also some liver concerns with it. Since becoming educated about health more with this CFIDS illness, yes I drink filtered or spring water only and ususally a gallon or more per day. I was tested for lyme at Igenix and was negative BTW. But I have never heard the viral load thing could contribute to albumin...is that a protective mechanism? I know that uric acid is supposed to be a powerful anti-oxidant too and mine is high. My gall bladder went out on my at 29yrs old, and then right before my 31st birthday my life changed and I have suffered since then...I am desperate so that is why I am considering T...I know 4 people in their 30's on Testosterone and they all say it has changed their lives...They do not have CFS/ME but I long to feel normal again and my new practicioner prescribed me bioidentical Testsoterone cream w/ a little bit of arimidex in it...I have refused to take it though up until now but I am getting desperate for somehting to help give me a boost.

I need to figure out the Ferritin thing...I assume it is inflammation in my liver perhaps? My liver and spleen are slightly larger end of normal via ultrasound. I am on thyroid because I am tired and unmotivated and my new practicioner said that my numbers should be better than they were so she wanted me to try it...A full grain seemed to help but then made me get HYPER symptoms so I have backed off that dose and we have been doing lab every 10weeks or so to try to dial it in....MY nodules disappeared though by taking it so I must have needed it!

Most of these labs done at well darn it I can't remember but not Labcorps....I will post the name as soon as i can...

If E2 is high and testosterone and dhea push it high, then maybe small doses of arimidex like .25-.5mg twice a week will help you, then add dhea but use smaller dose more frequently like say 10mg 3 times a day, less chance of it converting to E2 if done in small doses. Pregnenolone transdermal cream may also help, at a guess u have adrenal fatigue and pregnenolone can help with cortisol as well as other hormones like dhea and testosterone etc My advice on pregnenolone is to use very small doses at first to see how u react say 5-10mg of cream and slowly increase the dose until u feel ok on it. You sound like u have done abit of research on hormones etc and u need to educate yourself on this as many docs dont really understand it.

If you have cfs, treating the hormonal dysfunctions are only part of the puzzle, you need to dig deeper into infection and immune stuff too. You do need to get some testing done on everything as its really guessing to say your liver is inflammed unless you have testing documenting this. N acetyl cysteine is good for liver issues and something i have always taken while on antiviral medicine and my liver function is good.

Correct me if im wrong but E2 is normal or low but go's high when using dhea and other hormones??? I think look into adrenal fatigue treatments with low doses of dhea and pregnenolone, space the dhea out into small doses throughout the day which is better for your liver and help prevent estrogen convertion. If E2 is still high look into small doses of arimidex, there is a company that sell arimidex in low 100mcg pills i can send you a link to if u want. Hopefully doing this over time your testosterone levels will improve but also treating ongoing stresses on cfs like infections can also help improve hormone profiles. I know this is hard to do when one has cfs but if you are carry some extra weight, losing weight can improve E2 levels, low carb eating is the way to go has it has a higher fat content which is needed for hormone production.

Im going backwards and forwards to what you have written, so im abit all over the place. The liver issues are probably a conern if u were to go on antivirals, like i mentioned before NAC is good as well as lipoic acid, i would aggressively look into these, maybe dhea in transdermal cream would be better for your liver as its not getting broken down by your liver like tablets. I think get more info on your liver function and treat it if its a problem then with your viral infections i would look into antivirals. Most chronic illnesses will lower your hormones, so its sort of a secondary occurance from your cfs. Also vit D, i had problems increasing my vit D levels until i brought a really strong vit D dosage from prohealth which was 50000iu. I took this a couple of times a week for a month or two and slowly tapered the frequency down to where i take it once a month.

I hope i have helped you some or atleast given you something to think about,

cheers!!!

rlc

Hi CFIDS, RE your high Ferritin, a lot of things can causes this, but one that is frequently misdiagnosed as CFS and most doctors are hopelessly out of date on is hemochromatosis (genetic iron overload) it is very common and affects about one in two hundred and fifty people. It would also explain your high ALT as the iron damages the liver. I recommend reading this site for information on hemochromatosis http://www.ironoverload.org/

And this site about how hemochromatosis mimics CFS symptoms http://www.haemochromatosis.org/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-fibromyalgia.html

Hope this helps

All the best