• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Physical activity intensity but not sedentary activity is reduced in CFS (Newton, 11)

peggy-sue

PhoenixDown said:
What's the difference between depression & idiopathic fatigue? There's no test for depression so...​
There is a test for depression.
It's called the dexamethasone supressor test. It's rather unpleasant, so questionnaires are normally used instead.

Seven7

Seven
I Am convinced that the exercise intolerance is a symptom of something wrong like in my case It was the OI. All I know is that I had exercise intolerance, I have been trying EVERYTHING for exercise for a year (check my blog). Slow, laying down, and I crash over and over again. I treat OI (florinef) and 2 days later I could lift weights and exercise for a full hour with no PEM and I have kept going. I am back to work full time 40 hours. Go on family outings.....

If the EI was like a permanent condition or something else, is impossible that I had gotten better over night without having to build up. This just doesn't make sense that I can go on and not crash. I have not push over one hour because I am afraid to push my luck, but I feel I could keep going if I wanted to.

My theory: I think those who build up exercise are treating the OI (indirectly) and maybe that is why overtime they overcome and get better.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Ta Willow. How did you find that? It would be nice to see the paper.
can't recall. most likely is from my Google notices or someone posted it on Twitter. I would think I'd have credited the source if it was Twitter, unless I'd forgotten it already.

Hi WillowJ, the full text is no longer available. Bye, Alex
hmm, there was a synopsis at that link previously, but I see now that it does say full text no longer available. That's too bad.

PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown said:
What's the difference between depression & idiopathic fatigue? There's no test for depression so...​
There is a test for depression.
It's called the dexamethasone supressor test. It's rather unpleasant, so questionnaires are normally used instead.

"The dexamethasone suppression test is designed to diagnose and differentiate among the various types of Cushing's syndrome and other hypercortisol states.[1]
It has also been used in the research of depression.[2] "

Do you not think those cases of "depression" were misdiagnoses?

Hope123

I Am convinced that the exercise intolerance is a symptom of something wrong like in my case It was the OI. All I know is that I had exercise intolerance, I have been trying EVERYTHING for exercise for a year (check my blog). Slow, laying down, and I crash over and over again. I treat OI (florinef) and 2 days later I could lift weights and exercise for a full hour with no PEM and I have kept going. I am back to work full time 40 hours. Go on family outings.....

If the EI was like a permanent condition or something else, is impossible that I had gotten better over night without having to build up. This just doesn't make sense that I can go on and not crash. I have not push over one hour because I am afraid to push my luck, but I feel I could keep going if I wanted to.

My theory: I think those who build up exercise are treating the OI (indirectly) and maybe that is why overtime they overcome and get better.

I am glad you are feeling better and able to go back to work and do other things but one thing I want to bring up is that Julia Newton, an ME/CFS researcher in the UK, suspects that up to 30% of ME/CFS cases might be primarily orthostatic intolerance misdiagnosed as OI. Now, I don't know your medical history (for example, do you feel like you have or had the flu constantly, especially with physical activity?) but she does have experience with people who have similar histories to you own.

The caveats here are

1) there are people who have both ME/CFS and OI and treatment of their OI might help relieve some of their symptoms yet they still will have other symptoms, including PEM

2) even people with primary OI might not respond to the treatments that are available but some respond very well

Seven7

Seven
Now, I don't know your medical history (for example, do you feel like you have or had the flu constantly, especially with physical activity?)

I used to get Flue like but not as bad. It all went basically away since i started imunovir+equillibrant. At least one symptom I don't have to deal with anymore. I have a CFS/ME profile. Viral reactivation, Low NK cell, Low Tcell, high Bcell, IL2b high, IL10 high, TNFRq and II low. So unregulated Inmune system and I think my OI is extra. But I suspect having OI from early in life.