• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

References needed for Wessely

Kati

Patient in training
Hi I am preparing a letter of protest to our heath information center-

The content of the information about CFS is full of CBT, GET allusions. Their references lead me to
Stephen Reid, Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare, Mattew Hotopf, and Simon Wessely, all psychiatrists from the UK of course.

I need to find references about conflicts of interests- that they have link with the insurance company.

Currently what they declared is
TC has received occasional payments from universities and conference organisers for conducting workshops on the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome. AC has received reimbursement for speaking and consulting from Eli Lilly. SW has received funds and is the author of some studies referenced in this review. SR and MH declare that they have no competing interests.
The information that the local website use is www.clinicalevidence.com , which is part of BMJ.

I'd appreciate some help finding that- it would make my letter stronger.

ukxmrv

Margaret Williams and Prof Hooper have written about this. Try a search with the names. Will post something if I can find it.

Sam Carter

Hi I am preparing a letter of protest to our heath information center-

The content of the information about CFS is full of CBT, GET allusions. Their references lead me to
Stephen Reid, Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare, Mattew Hotopf, and Simon Wessely, all psychiatrists from the UK of course.

I need to find references about conflicts of interests- that they have link with the insurance company.

Currently what they declared is

The information that the local website use is www.clinicalevidence.com , which is part of BMJ.

I'd appreciate some help finding that- it would make my letter stronger.

There's this from the PACE Trial Protocol, Kati:

"""""""
Competing interests

PDW [Peter White] has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for the Departments of Health and Work and Pensions and legal companies and a re-insurance company. MCS [Mike Sharpe] has done voluntary and paid consultancy work for government and for legal and insurance companies. TC [Trudie Chalder] has done consultancy work for insurance companies, is the author of Coping with Chronic Fatigue published by Sheldon Press and co-authors Overcoming Chronic Fatigue with Mary Burgess published by Constable and Robinson. RW [Rebecca Walwyn] and JD [Julia DeCesare] have no competing interests to declare.
"""""""

Also useful, particularly with reference to Wessely's involvement, is Jonathan Rutherford's article New Labour, the market state, and the end of welfare (pdf file).

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sorry I can't help Sam, hope others can, the very best of luck with it.

taniaaust1

Im sure I read in the past that SW had worked for or had links to an insurance company.. I came across the name of it one time but unfortunately Ive now forgot so cant tell you what to try to put into the search engine to find it..

He also has worked as i think it was like medical advisor for the defence force.

Maybe you could also present to your health info centre the new international criteria for ME and ask that to be included in their info.