• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To those who have extremely wacked out readings.. BP monitor

taniaaust1

I had a $120 BP monitor but it turned out not to be good enough due to the degree of my autonomic issues and would drive me crazy with all the erroring out it would do if I was standing upright . so often I was unable to get any reading due to my heart beat going erratic and it seemed to be going a lot lighter some beats (it was highly variable). Anyway.. that monitor couldnt handle me, 2 other BP monitors of other peoples I tried in the past had the same issue with me.

As Im starting a new med for my BP issue and POTS, the doctor told me to monitor things well.. so Ive brought myself a top of the range monitor.. if this hadnt worked the only other option for me would of been one of those very old style manually pumped up ones in which one also uses a stethoscope.

I rang my health insurance to see if they would cover one (big debate with my boyfriend as he believed they wouldnt as they didnt mention they do anywhere).. and they said they cover $95 of any BP monitor.. so with that decided to buy another and see. The top of the range one I got told was "Omron" brand one (model HEM-7211) .. cost was $155.

This one didnt have the normal BP monitors warnings in the small print saying that they may be unsuitable for people who have arrthymia like most of them do (or they may not even warn they dont work under such situations!!) but comes with an irregular heart beat feature and states
If the measurement resuls are affected by irregular heartbeats but the result is valid, the result is shown together with the irregular heartbeat symbol. If the irregular heart beat cause the measurement to be invalid, no result is shown.

Yippee..so I finally had come across a monitor which even on heart beat issues could still often give a reading (it has an accuracy of within 3mmHg). My pharmacist told me he'd never known a person who had issues getting readings with one of these.

I got it home and have spent the last 24 hrs testing it out and its great!! It hasnt errored out on me once.

Last night in middle of the night my BP was 100/52 when just awaking and laying with my support stockings on.. I sat up and my BP instantly jumped to 144/124 with the irregular heartbeat feature coming up (I also had a hot flush due to that very high spiked BP).. With all the my previous monitors.. I would of been left at this point with no reading and no idea at all on just how wacked out my heart or BP had gone. I had no idea before now that my BP was shooting madly up (diastolic jump from 52 to 124) just from sitting up when my BP is low... I'd only assumed my heart had gone irregular at such a time. It also gave me the heart rate still (which it has a accuracy rate of only possibly being out up to 5%)

I also discovered last night that my heart rate increases 20 beats per minute and sends me into tachycardia..right after a food binge and it takes 2 and a half hours to come back down... (I dont know if it only does that when I eat carbs as I broke my diet last night).

Im going to be trialing my new monitor tomorrow without having my support stockings on and see what difference that makes or not makes to my readings.

Other things this monitor has is a dual check system and also a movement error detection too (thou I wont be needing that as I always make sure im still when doing readings). The cuff on my other monitor was a very good cuff but this one feels even better.

:) anyway.. Im so happy Ive finally found a great monitor.

Seven7

Seven
Tania I think HR is normal to go up 25% after a meal. I have noticed that it increases more than normal when I do food I am not tolerant to (like casein).

taniaaust1

Nods yeah.. I know it is normal for heart rate to go up after a meal (hence they often say not to take it then). I just didnt realise just how much it goes up then.

That's something another and I was chatting about the other day, if one could tell food intollerences by certain BP shifts? Its certainly an area I want to play around with and see.

I did another poor mans test this morn (i did one yesterday morn at same time with compression stockings on and no POTS showed up in the 10 mins.. with stockings I only had a 26 beat increase).

Today WITHOUT medical stockings on.. POTS showed up but no where as bad as it did in the past due to the Florinef Im on (34 beat per minute increase at around the 8 minute point.. without Florineif I commonly get a 40-60 beat increase).

Im feeling wiped after doing that... and will be having a rest day today.

maddietod

The food intolerance testing might be tricky; I think there are a lot of different pathways for the intolerance. I've never been blood tested, but none of my allergies show up on skin tests. And none show up as digestive symptoms either. Furthermore, my sensitivities to wheat and dairy only show up after 3 days........only nightshades and black tea cause immediate problems (arthritis).

I'm pretty confused by blood pressure testing anyway. If I sit down and test 3x in a row, I get 3 different readings.

Seven7

Seven
I saw a documentary in netflix. On empty stomach (forgot how many hours) Guy said to lay down for 5minutes, take RHR, then put the food under the tongue for 2min (i think) then take it out, check ur HR w/o moving and if you go over 5bpm you might be intolerant.

taniaaust1

I saw a documentary in netflix. On empty stomach (forgot how many hours) Guy said to lay down for 5minutes, take RHR, then put the food under the tongue for 2min (i think) then take it out, check ur HR w/o moving and if you go over 5bpm you might be intolerant.

Id think the wondering if heart rate is going to show up a food intollerence or not, would be enough for many to have their heart rate increase by 5. (my heart rate varies way more then this if Im just laying there doing nothing).

taniaaust1

I'm pretty confused by blood pressure testing anyway. If I sit down and test 3x in a row, I get 3 different readings.

My monitor has several tips in its booklet to make sure one is taking ones BP correctly so that other things arent affecting the reading eg
"Do not use by a mobile phone or other devices with emit electromagnetic fields near the unit. This may result in incorrect operation of the unit"
"Do not operate in a moving car or plane"
"use the same arm for measuments as blood pressure may vary between arms "
"No bathing, drinking alcohol, or caffeine, smoking, exercising or eatting 30 mins before taking a measurement"
"The cuff should be at same level as the heart"
"Wait 2-3 minutes before taking another BP measurement. Waiting betwen readings allows the arteries to return to the condition prior to taking the BP measurement".
...and of cause always make sure the monitor is on the right place on the arm and always use the same cuff.

Due to my autonomic dysfunction.. I can get some very different readings if Im testing three times in a row following the monitoring advice that one should wait 2-3mins between the readings... the shifting at times is just another sign of my dysfunction.

*A not so good BP monitor can also have quite a bit of shifting at times or be stuffing up readings sometimes, it could be an issue with your monitor....

ukxmrv

Thanks Tania. That's really useful to know. I've not managed to find a BP monitor that doesn't keep returning errors.

alice

I had a $120 BP monitor but it turned out not to be good enough due to the degree of my autonomic issues and would drive me crazy with all the erroring out it would do if I was standing upright . so often I was unable to get any reading due to my heart beat going erratic and it seemed to be going a lot lighter some beats (it was highly variable). Anyway.. that monitor couldnt handle me, 2 other BP monitors of other peoples I tried in the past had the same issue with me.

As Im starting a new med for my BP issue and POTS, the doctor told me to monitor things well.. so Ive brought myself a top of the range monitor.. if this hadnt worked the only other option for me would of been one of those very old style manually pumped up ones in which one also uses a stethoscope.

I rang my health insurance to see if they would cover one (big debate with my boyfriend as he believed they wouldnt as they didnt mention they do anywhere).. and they said they cover $95 of any BP monitor.. so with that decided to buy another and see. The top of the range one I got told was "Omron" brand one (model HEM-7211) .. cost was $155.

Tania,

Thanks for telling us about this Blood Pressure monitor. I having trouble finding Model Hem-7211 in the U.S though. It is advertised on eBay for about $110.00 but shipping is around $50. from Australia. There are lots of other cheaper Omron models available here but not Hem-7211 - I find that rather strange.. Perhaps someone with much more computer savvy than I have could find it.

I have very erratic heart beat, and have given up getting a reliablel BP and HR reading because readings vary widely with repeat testing on the monitor I have - it's old and a cheaper model that does not account for arrthymias. It doesn't even tell me that there is an error.

If someone in US has found this model, I would appreciate if you could post it. I'll also call pharmacy to see if it it can be ordered.

alice

taniaaust1

alice .. maybe other new Omron monitors would work just as well? I cant say thou my nanna Im sure had an older Omron of a different model and I had trouble with that one too.

Best to ask your pharmacist when buying it or look in the actual manual (or get the seller if buying on ebay to look in the manual to quote it) whatever brand or model you are looking at, says about irregular heart beats. eg does it say it still can give a BP reading on an irregular heart beat? (like my one states..so these dont fault as much)..

or does it say it isnt suitable for those who have irregular heart beats? (some brands say that in thier manuals) etc

(checking into whatever monitor you are looking at, its accuracy rate is also a good idea)

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Yes, I have labile BP, also. In science studies, they take it three times in a row and average, sometimes they throw away the first and average the last two. You wait from 1 to 5 minutes between readings, to let the baroreceptors in the arm reset themselves.

From Omron's site:
TruRead™ - Automatically takes three consecutive readings one minute apart and displays the average, following the guidelines set by internationally recognized organizations for home blood pressure measurement.
http://www.omronhealthcare.com/products/10-series/

Sherlock

I having trouble finding Model Hem-7211 in the U.S though.
Alice, I was curious so I called Omron.
Consumer Support:
877-216-1333
They say that the accuracy of every model is the same, they only vary by the electronic features. $50 to $110 list prices. None claims accuracy when an irregular beat is detected, they only give the warning. I now also that Omron makes other names that sell under various names at different retailers - essentially the same thing just different name and cheaper.

I have taken to the habit of doing it manually. At first it seems as if you need an extra hand, but now I prefer it manually.

taniaaust1

Alice, I was curious so I called Omron.
Consumer Support:
877-216-1333
They say that the accuracy of every model is the same, they only vary by the electronic features. $50 to $110 list prices. None claims accuracy when an irregular beat is detected, they only give the warning. I now also that Omron makes other names that sell under various names at different retailers - essentially the same thing just different name and cheaper.

I have taken to the habit of doing it manually. At first it seems as if you need an extra hand, but now I prefer it manually.

The below quote is from the actual booklet (page 17) of the model I mentioned before
If the measurement results are affected by irregular heartbeats but the result is valid, the result is shown together with the irregular heartbeat symbol. If the irregular heart beat cause the measurement to be invalid, no result is shown.​

So states it indicates when the reading is valid even with irregular heart beats .. I assume by that it means that it is coming within their accuracy rating which is 3mmHg accuracy or very close to that (just could be a little affected).
This is where other brands of monitors Ive tried in the past (and also according to their manuals) just arent the same as they wont give any valid reading at all at that point... my nannas older thou Omron.. I didnt see this particular feature on that..

I hope I didnt pay the big price i did for mine for just other features if all their models do this irregular heart beat thing (im curious now and going to ask my pharmacist if all the models of it do) but still can give out a "valid" (using their term) reading and tell you that.

Seems that guy you spoke too doesnt know what is written in the manual of this one as he didnt talk about the results coming up on irregular heart beat symbol as being valid ones.

Thanks for bringing all this up so I can look into their other models more (Im happy with mine but I'd like to know so when sharing with others in future).

taniaaust1

Wouldnt that screw up POTS testing if pumping up manually with one of those little bulby things? (or is there another way to manually pump some up?) cause one is meant to be standing as still as possible and moving as little as possible.. (that was my concern over getting an old style manual one.. as I know when they do proper tilt table test.. they make sure the person dont move at all, most dont even allow the person to speak).

Sherlock

Seems that guy you spoke too doesnt know what is written in the manual of this one as he didnt talk about the results coming up on irregular heart beat symbol as being valid ones.
That's very possible. Reps often make things up when they don't know the answer. Sometimes I call more than once to average out the answers. Your quote from the manual seems more valid.

OTOH, the basic electronics might be identical in all models. As usual, nothing is clear :)

Sherlock

Wouldnt that screw up POTS testing if pumping up manually with one of those little bulby things? (or is there another way to manually pump some up?) cause one is meant to be standing as still as possible and moving as little as possible.. (that was my concern over getting an old style manual one.. as I know when they do proper tilt table test.. they make sure the person dont move at all, most dont even allow the person to speak).
When I first got sick, I'd push the start button on my Omron, then stand. I'd often get errors, I think because my pressure was too low. I wouldn't have irregular beats at that point. I'd push the button again after a short while (still standing), and it'd work correctly. (I had orthostatic hypoT, not POTS.)

I've been experimenting sometimes with what makes BP change, as far as body movements etc. I set the cuff pressure to be right on the cusp where the sound just starts. Tensing that arm of course makes the sound cease. But surprisingly, other things don't - such as moving my legs a little, or having my other arm across my aorta. So I now think that being absolutely still doesn't matter so much. When I'd be using my automatic, I'd be still as a dead robot.

You also can set the pressure a little low, and see how much any relaxing can drop the systolic - then the first sounds begin.

Also, the needle moves before you can hear anything. That interval, between needle movement and hearing first sounds, actually changes a lot - depending on the day. Anyway, that experimenting is just for fun. Since my SBP is normally 120 but gets to 140 when I'm sick, I just really look for large changes - sometimes not using the stethoscope at all.

Sherlock

When I first got sick, I'd push the start button on my Omron, then stand. I'd often get errors, I think because my pressure was too low. I wouldn't have irregular beats at that point.
Though once, 2 years before I got sick, I had a spell of exercise induced hypotension and that same BP monitor worked fine when I was at ~ 90/65 and near syncope. Why it worked then, but not post-CFS for DIY tilt tale, I don't know. I never called Omron to ask, because I thought some rep would only bluff an answer, as described above.

"Wait 2-3 minutes before taking another BP measurement. Waiting betwen readings allows the arteries to return to the condition prior to taking the BP measurement".

Funny how doctors never seem to know about this one, but just keep inflating (and over-inflating) until something "normal" comes up so they can pretend nothing's wrong o_O

I hope I didnt pay the big price i did for mine for just other features if all their models do this irregular heart beat thing (im curious now and going to ask my pharmacist if all the models of it do) but still can give out a "valid" (using their term) reading and tell you that.

I've got a cheaper Omron BP monitor, and it just errors all the time. Maybe they are all basically functioning the same, but it's not too useful when it automatically hides odd readings, so I do think it's worthwhile for us to get one that doesn't. 99% of BP monitors seem to be designed solely for people with high BP, so they probably just over-simplify most monitors to be user-friendly for that group.