• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quercetin Is More Effective than Cromolyn in Blocking Human Mast Cell Cytokine Release and Inhibits

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Quercetin Is More Effective than Cromolyn in Blocking Human Mast Cell Cytokine Release and Inhibits Contact Dermatitis and Photosensitivity in Humans

March 2012 free full text, with Theoharides
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3314669/

note that WSQ isn't defined, it's Water Soluble Quercetin

An MOA discussed here is that Quercetin inhibits intracellular Ca++ increase, leading to degranulat5ion. I'd previoulsy read about quercetin increasing cAMP, which opposes the gAMP that leads to degranulation.

A few quotes: "Moreover, cromolyn does not inhibit lung and mucosal mast cells".

"Here we also show that WSQ is more effective than quercetin in blocking intracellular calcium increases in stimulated human mast cells, while cromolyn had no effect."

"In conclusion, our results indicate that quercetin is more effective than cromolyn in inhibiting release of pro-inflammatory cytokines from human mast cells. Moreover, quercetin appears to significantly reduce contact dermatitis, photosensitivity and associated pruritus that are typically resistant to anti-histamines and cromolyn [85], [86]. Quercetin is safe [87] and could be particularly useful in formulations that increase its solubility and oral absorption."

Btw, elsewhere I've read that cromolyn was developed as the result of research into quercetin, it is in effect almost a synthetic quercetin.

Sherlock

I use Quercitin and Nettles in a supplement if I get a cold/allergies.
How well does it work for you, Sally? Much better than quercetin alone? - and do you get a tolerance to it?

I've seen the stinging nettles being sold in combination with quercetin. Maybe I'll try that next time that I buy. Many years ago, I came across a stinging nettle plant in a field and touched it. You instantly feel as if your fingers have been slashed with a knife. I guess they've worked out to make that not happen to a person's insides when you take the pills :D

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I don't need it every day, no tolerance problem. I use it because my doctor knows I only take med. if there is no choice. My doctor guides me with the best supplements for each problem. I am on a schedule of supplements every day for overall health and also healing from CFS and POTS. I don't have allergies or a cold every day so I just take it a few days. Same thing with Oregacillin, Sambucol and others I take if ill.

xrayspex

I have used quercetin for years, it seemed like one of the few supplements I could tell does something and tolerate it pretty well. but i got worried when read it lowers b/p which in me is already too low so i stopped using it all the time. hard to tell whats doing what sometimes.

Sherlock

And here it is, available to us common mortals: Quercetone.

I am buying it from PureFormulas. (10% off coupon: NEXT10)
The WSG was superior over regular quercetin to varying degrees in a dish and on the skin - whether it has any advantage in:
1) getting into circulation and then into MCs that way
2) getting directly into MCs that are in direct contact with the gut lumen

...I'm guessing would be a matter to be looked into. IIRC, fat soluble vit C is better to use cutaneously.

Now, if somebody has a problem with localized skin rashes, then maybe quercetin with DMSO would really do the trick.

Sherlock

I have used quercetin for years, it seemed like one of the few supplements I could tell does something and tolerate it pretty well. but i got worried when read it lowers b/p which in me is already too low so i stopped using it all the time. hard to tell whats doing what sometimes.
Thanks, I hadn't read that before. So here we have:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2405.abstract
"Quercetin Reduces Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Subjects" 2007

Note that quercetin lowered BP in Stage 1 hypertensives but not lowered in prehypertensives. Whether it lowers BP in those with normal or low BP looks to be in doubt. Xray, did you measure and find lowered BP in yourself? Or find increased low BP symptoms?

Blood pressure (mm Hg, systolic/diastolic) at enrollment was 137 ± 2/86 ± 1 in prehypertensives and 148 ± 2/96 ± 1 in stage 1 hypertensive subjects.

730 mg quercetin/d for 28 d vs. placebo

here's a 2012 review on the subject but it's not free full text:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?...d Pressure: Review of Efficacy and Mechanisms

Sherlock

OTOH, with regard to BP lowering, from a rat study:

The antihypertensive effect of quercetin lasts for
at least 13 weeks.

So that might not be something to fool around with by those fearing low BP, seeing as it might have a long washout period.

Also, wrt the water soluble type, here's a bit about how it might be made:

An enzymatically
modified isoquercitrin (EMIQ), i.e. a water-soluble glycoside
of quercetin produced from rutin by enzymatic
treatment

http://www.if-pan.krakow.pl/pjp/pdf/2009/1_67.pdf
Review
Antihypertensive effects of the flavonoid quercetin

xrayspex

Hey LFC, I didnt know or remember the detail on quercetin and hypotension. I have low b/p to begin with and its part of reason I cannot tolerate a lot of meds they had me try because they lower it more,ie just about faintd in middle of nite when tried small amount of baclofen or flexeril, and even stuff like zantac or prilosec does some weird stuff to my pressure systems.

I didnt figure it out super scientifically, I was just aware during one period of time over a couple of years when I had been using quercetin regularly but that it seemed I had gradually gotten less stamina, needing to lie down more, and then I read an article on quercetin and b/p and litebulb clicked and I stoppd it and it seemed like one level of malaise improved, but I hadnt done a before or after b/p reading.

I am experimenting with it again because problems with MCS have increased and its an allergenic time of year. I had been taking it daily that time before (it was around 2008 when I figured that out) so I am hoping that perhaps if I pulse it it wont build up in system as much, but your research articles concern me tht maybe i shouldnt use it. I have used liquid form at times where I could control dose to be smaller.
I did test positie in 95 for neurally mediated hypotension on tilt table.

Sherlock

but your research articles concern me tht maybe i shouldnt use it..
I took a quick look and see that luteolin (from olive oil) also has BP lowering effects. That makes sense, since elsewhere I'd read that the luteolin molecule is very similar to the quercetin molecule.

nanonug

I took a quick look and see that luteolin (from olive oil) also has BP lowering effects. That makes sense, since elsewhere I'd read that the luteolin molecule is very similar to the quercetin molecule.

Anecdote here:I have been taking luteolin and quercetin for quite some time now. As far as I can tell, none had any effect whatsoever on my blood pressure.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
And here it is, available to us common mortals: Quercetone.

I am buying it from PureFormulas. (10% off coupon: NEXT10)
I never noticed any result from taking quercetin so now I wonder what dose you take (or anyone?) that is effective?
I have tried nettle and it does work for me (when little does) but only at a higher than recommended dose. I bought the New Chapter version and had to get it in a carry-with roll because I kept having to refresh it on the spot...so maybe a 3x dose over a day. However I read that nettle raises insulin (which would mean it reduces cAMP, right? So dunno how that works) and raised insulin makes you gain weight. Guggul lowers insulin so maybe try the two together.

Nothing really works for me except Omega-3 9g or Spirulina (some high dose --10.5g worked, dunno if lesser would), and nettle which I refreshed whenever I started to sniffle again (appx a 3xdaily dose). No drugs work for me, not even Flonase anymore. Wlell I took montelukast and it helped a lot but it not only made me dizzy but it destroyed my short term memory so I could not even follow a conversation at my Dad's funeral). So I should say no drug works in a way that I could use at all.

It's interesting someone wrote that Holy Basil works. I am curious what dose? Because I took it before, not during allergy season, and did not notice any effect. Except maybe - well - I remember my neighbor asking what I did to lose weight and I said - dunno - maybe it was this Holy Basil.

outdamnspot

hey, I was just wondering if people here find that Quercetin has any adverse effects on their anxiety levels? I've read it's an MAO and COMT inhibitor, and I seem to be sensitive to both those mechanisms, but I wasn't sure how strong Quercetin was.

I already have a lot of baseline irritability/anxiety/insomnia, so don't want to make things worse, but it has a really interesting property I'd like to try exploit.

camas

hey, I was just wondering if people here find that Quercetin has any adverse effects on their anxiety levels? I've read it's an MAO and COMT inhibitor, and I seem to be sensitive to both those mechanisms, but I wasn't sure how strong Quercetin was.

I already have a lot of baseline irritability/anxiety/insomnia, so don't want to make things worse, but it has a really interesting property I'd like to try exploit.

I believe that quercetin, like caffeine, is an adenosine antagonist. I felt good on Quercetone for about a week, but apparently it has a long half life and built up in my system and left me feeling really wired. My doctor suggested using a much less potent quercetin in small doses, but I haven't attempted it again since. So you might want to start with really small doses to see how it affects you.

outdamnspot

Cool thanks. My caps are 400mg. I wonder why they suggesting dosing 3 times a day if the half-life is so long.

camas

Cool thanks. My caps are 400mg. I wonder why they suggesting dosing 3 times a day if the half-life is so long.

If you google the half-life of quercetin you get some interesting results. It looks like how quickly it clears might depend on what else you are digesting at the time. One site says it has a half-life of 3.5 to 28 hours. Others say the half-life is 24-28 hours. If I were to do it over again, I'd start slow with 1/3 of a cap a day for a week or so to see how I react. I should have known better than to jump in feet first with something as potent as Quercetone. :)

ebethc

Quercetin gives me really bad insomnia, even small amounts in the morning. However, I've never read of anyone else complaining of this.
I can have the same response.... If I take it early enough in the day, I'm okay.. Other than the insomnia, it's amazingly effective for me